E-Tickets without Internet
Posted by brotherbock

Hi GC staff. Apologies if there's an answer for this somewhere, I looked and couldn't find.

We run most of our events in Union Station--and historically, it's very difficult to get a cell signal in that building, and there's no wifi in the past that we can hook up to (at least not that I remember). Is E-ticketing going to be able to work in a situation like that, where we're unable to connect to the internet without stepping outside of the building?

Posted by buffythecatslayer

From what I understand, you don't need Internet connectivity at the time you scan the badges.  You can download the list of your attendees at any time, then scan the badges even when off-line, then upload the results when you have a signal.  The only issue might be selling tickets on-the-fly when people show up.

Posted by mikeboozer

From the FAQ https://www.gencon.com/attend/e-ticketing:

Will e-ticketing work without a cell or Wi-Fi connection?The Gen Con mobile app can redeem e-tickets when internet access is slow or temporarily disrupted, but will need to be connected in order to sell tickets.

Posted by brotherbock mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Will e-ticketing work without a cell or Wi-Fi connection?The Gen Con mobile app can redeem e-tickets when internet access is slow or temporarily disrupted, but will need to be connected in order to sell tickets.

Right, sorry, thanks for the reply, and I should have been more specific. By 'will need to connect in order to sell tickets', do you mean that I would need to connect right then, or that I could sell a ticket offline as long as I connect later to transfer the info?

E.G., Running a game in Union Station, player shows up with no ticket and wants to play. Do I need to walk out to the street from our room in Union Station in order to sell a new ticket to that player, or would I scan their badge in the room offline, and then go outside later to upload the data from the transaction?

Looking at another answer, about the player needing to have a payment method on file, I'm guessing that in that case the player and I would need to go out to the street where I can get a connection. I don't know if other locations are limited in the way Union Station is--almost everything I play is over there. But there is really no getting a cell signal in there at all, and without wifi, having to walk a player outside while you are also trying to get people checked in, handout game info, etc, is a significant concern. The walk from the back Union Station rooms up to the front and out on the street, plus scanning and transaction time, is going to be a 5 minute trip.

Is there a plan to get wifi in there? (I'd love that for other reasons :)

Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:

Right, sorry, thanks for the reply, and I should have been more specific. By 'will need to connect in order to sell tickets', do you mean that I would need to connect right then, or that I could sell a ticket offline as long as I connect later to transfer the info?E.G., Running a game in Union Station, player shows up with no ticket and wants to play. Do I need to walk out to the street from our room in Union Station in order to sell a new ticket to that player, or would I scan their badge in the room offline, and then go outside later to upload the data from the transaction?
Looking at another answer, about the player needing to have a payment method on file, I'm guessing that in that case the player and I would need to go out to the street where I can get a connection. I don't know if other locations are limited in the way Union Station is--almost everything I play is over there. But there is really no getting a cell signal in there at all, and without wifi, having to walk a player outside while you are also trying to get people checked in, handout game info, etc, is a significant concern. The walk from the back Union Station rooms up to the front and out on the street, plus scanning and transaction time, is going to be a 5 minute trip.

We are aware of the Union Station challenges and are looking into possible solutions.

That said:
You need to have your app previously connected for scanning people in who have already bout tickets.
If you are selling a ticket you will need an internet connection to sell that ticket.

Posted by brotherbock mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:

Right, sorry, thanks for the reply, and I should have been more specific. By 'will need to connect in order to sell tickets', do you mean that I would need to connect right then, or that I could sell a ticket offline as long as I connect later to transfer the info?E.G., Running a game in Union Station, player shows up with no ticket and wants to play. Do I need to walk out to the street from our room in Union Station in order to sell a new ticket to that player, or would I scan their badge in the room offline, and then go outside later to upload the data from the transaction?

We are aware of the Union Station challenges and are looking into possible solutions.That said:
You need to have your app previously connected for scanning people in who have already bout tickets.
If you are selling a ticket you will need an internet connection to sell that ticket.

Cool and cool. Thanks for the clarification, and also glad to hear that you're looking into Union Station. It's a great spot, we love our games being in there. It's only ever been a minor nuisance to not have a signal, hasn't impacted games. But being able to be reached by friends and fam while we're in there will be cool.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.