GM recruitment drives (& mentoring)
(Pinned)
Posted by davidosteele

Greetings, I am attending Gencon2019 and would like to offer my services to run games or help promote exhibitions. I’ve run D&D games for kobold press at previous gencons, helped pitch prospective clients the new podcast player Himalaya, spoke at numerous podcast conventions, along with hosting and producing podcasts for my podcast production company. As a GM, I’ve also run games live and on twitch streaming. 
Why do I want to help? I come to cons to check out new games and play some games, with that, I have plenty of extra time and enjoy speaking with people about our common joys and that could be your current project. 

Posted by systemicgames

My partner and I are taking part in the event this year, as part of the Entrepreneur Avenue portion, and are looking for help manning the booth over the 4 days. So before posting something on Craigslist I figured I would use the forums to see if anyone might be interested. 

Not sure about the details yet, but in short we'd give you a badge AND pay you an hourly rate as well. I imagine you would spend half your time with us, and half on your own enjoying the show! :) 

Anyway, this is what we'll be showing off: https://www.electronic-dice.com/ 
If anyone is interested, please hit me up [email protected] 

Posted by hendelbolaf systemicgames

systemicgames wrote:Anyway, this is what we'll be showing off: https://www.electronic-dice.com/ 
If anyone is interested, please hit me up [email protected] 

I cannot help you with your booth, but I am definitely interested in your dice. I cannot wait to see them in person at Gen Con! I will be purchasing some...

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Great, time to invest in more dice.

Posted by systemicgames

:) Thanks!

Posted by aaronmlopez

I am looking for work at Gen Con! I can run a variety of RPGs including D&D 5e, 7th Sea 2nd edition, Firefly, Baker Street. I am also open to running board game demos or booth work. 

Posted by msteinbo aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
I am looking for work at Gen Con! I can run a variety of RPGs including D&D 5e, 7th Sea 2nd edition, Firefly, Baker Street. I am also open to running board game demos or booth work. 

After first wave of registration, we may need additional DM's for our D&D 5th Ed Harry Potter events.  At this point I want to make sure we sell out of most of what we have lined up before adding events but assuming we do, we could talk about the opportunity and rewards that our Independent Game Team offers.  

Sample from last year:
https://www.gencon.com/events/145406

Posted by andrewj.rager msteinbo

msteinbo wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

After first wave of registration, we may need additional DM's for our D&D 5th Ed Harry Potter events.  At this point I want to make sure we sell out of most of what we have lined up before adding events but assuming we do, we could talk about the opportunity and rewards that our Independent Game Team offers.  Sample from last year:

You do D&D Harry Potter? interesting. Never did any role playing games before, but my game group might be interesting in that or LOTR.

Posted by hendelbolaf

There is an official 5th Edition Lord of the Rings set of rules published.

I would love an official Wizarding World of Harry Potter rules for how to modify the standard rules into that world like the did for Middle-earth.

Either way, I would be interested in playing in msteinbo's game for sure!

Posted by msteinbo andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
msteinbo wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

After first wave of registration, we may need additional DM's for our D&D 5th Ed Harry Potter events.  At this point I want to make sure we sell out of most of what we have lined up before adding events but assuming we do, we could talk about the opportunity and rewards that our Independent Game Team offers.  Sample from last year:
You do D&D Harry Potter? interesting. Never did any role playing games before, but my game group might be interesting in that or LOTR.

Yes!  We use base D&D 5th Ed rules but made a simplified process for making Harry Potter universe characters quickly at the table.  Use a one sheet to pick a House and a Lineage for certain bonuses (four standard HP houses ala Slytherin and lineage choices of Muggle / Pureblood / Fairyblood / Giantborn).  

Then we made a easy spell system based on arcana skill and made rules for 20+ of the most popular HP spells to work in game as primary combat system.  Works great and we have a cool open world story in the first session that continues in the sequel we're trying out this year in 2019.  Hope to have you at a table!

Posted by msteinbo hendelbolaf

hendelbolaf wrote:
There is an official 5th Edition Lord of the Rings set of rules published.
I would love an official Wizarding World of Harry Potter rules for how to modify the standard rules into that world like the did for Middle-earth.
Either way, I would be interested in playing in msteinbo's game for sure!

Yes!  We use base D&D 5th Ed rules but made a simplified process for making Harry Potter universe characters quickly at the table.  Use a one sheet to pick a House and a Lineage for certain bonuses (four standard HP houses ala Slytherin and lineage choices of Muggle / Pureblood / Fairyblood / Giantborn).  Then we made a easy spell system based on arcana skill and made rules for 20+ of the most popular HP spells to work in game as primary combat system.  Works great and we have a cool open world story in the first session that continues in the sequel we're trying out this year in 2019.  Hope to have you at a table!

Posted by andrewj.rager msteinbo

msteinbo wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:
msteinbo wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

Yes!  We use base D&D 5th Ed rules but made a simplified process for making Harry Potter universe characters quickly at the table.  Use a one sheet to pick a House and a Lineage for certain bonuses (four standard HP houses ala Slytherin and lineage choices of Muggle / Pureblood / Fairyblood / Giantborn).  Then we made a easy spell system based on arcana skill and made rules for 20+ of the most popular HP spells to work in game as primary combat system.  Works great and we have a cool open world story in the first session that continues in the sequel we're trying out this year in 2019.  Hope to have you at a table!
Do you need to know D&D 5th or any role playing games for that matter to jump in? As I said we have never played any games like this, but I think our group might enjoy it.

Posted by derekguder

The game sounds great, but it's rather off-topic for this thread, so you might want to start up another conversation to go into detail about it.

Thanks.

-
Derek Guder
Senior Event & Program Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by yukonrob77

This is my first time attending Gen Con.  I have been DMing for almost 30 years, running a guild for 13 years, and been to a few smaller local cons.  Any recommendations as to either signing up to DM something or just going as a participant/player?  Also what is the best way to offer my services and skills as a DM?

Thanks much,

Posted by traveller yukonrob77

yukonrob77 wrote:
This is my first time attending Gen Con.  I have been DMing for almost 30 years, running a guild for 13 years, and been to a few smaller local cons.  Any recommendations as to either signing up to DM something or just going as a participant/player?  Also what is the best way to offer my services and skills as a DM?
Thanks much,

What game system, if its Pathfinder, I would check with NASCRAG/Pazio and if its D&D, Baldman Games.  Those are 2 of the big guys.  There is also Catalyst Labs for Shadowrun/Battletech/Dragonfire.

There are many more, those are just off the top of my head.

T

If you’re brave, you can run your own events, but that’s a lot of work, and you’d have to run several to get a badge reimbursement.  Better bet is to see if some of the companies need DMs.. you will have support from them, and they may pay for your badge for running far fewer events than you would have to do on your own.

Having said all that, if this is going to be your first Gen Con, just go as a participant.  See what it’s all about, maybe do an event with some of the larger companies and see if you’d actually want to DM for them.  Then, next year, you have a better lay of the land, and can decide what you want to do in terms of DMing.

Posted by newstienet

[This post has been removed]

Another moron trying to hijack our forums...

Posted by roderick buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Another moron trying to hijack our forums...

All gone. 

Posted by taylorgeorge

[This post has been removed]

Sign in to write a new post. New Post