GMing boardgames
Posted by elvinlord

What's the protocol for playing in boardgames your GMing? Is it generally looked down on or is it the norm?

Posted by austicke

Huh? I'm not sure what you're asking, but last year there were over 5,000 boardgame events at Gen Con.

Posted by jeff321

I've seen it done both ways.  Usually people working for a company only teach, and do not play themselves, unless there is a shortage of players.  However, individuals who bring and run their own games definitely do also play.  Either way is fine!

Posted by austicke

Jeff, your interpretive skills are way better than mine. That "your" instead of "you're" threw me for a loop. :)

Posted by nscott

I don't think there are specific rules forbidding it. You would want to make sure that the other players don't have a problem with it. As long as there isn't a prize involved for the winner I doubt they would have an issue with it. If the game would play better with one more participant, I think you would probably want to jump in and play.

Posted by garhkal

If you are teaching the game, i've found its often EASIER to teach it by playing it with the people i am teaching.  BUT like Scott says if there's tangible rewards for winning, don't play as the person Running/officiating the game.

Posted by elvinlord

Thanks 

Posted by derekguder

There are no real rules against it and in many cases I encourage it: when you want to play a game and don't see it on the schedule, submit it & run it yourself to guarantee you have a chance to play.

As long as it's not a tournament you should be fine. If the game is intensely competitive, just make sure to mark that you won't be teaching the rules, as normal.

This is assuming that you're talking about just 1 "GM player" or so, though. Anyone submitting a 6-player game as a 1-player event because they already have their friends ready to go is going to get rejected, of course.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by deistpaladin

What are the sizes of the different tables in the board game section? I need to know to request the table size appropriate for mine. 

Thanks in advance. 

Posted by derekguder

The Event Host Policy goes into detail about table sizes and the form itself lists available sizes:

• 30" x 8'
  • 60" x 8'
  • 90" x 8'
  • 5' rounds

If you need another size that can be built from 30" x 8' pieces, let us know and if you're running enough of it over the weekend we may be able to accommodate that (we had a couple extra-huge tables last yet).

Other sizes may be available but you will have to pay our decorator for them and it will complicate layouts, so should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by gilbertasmus

[This post has been removed]

New Post Sign in to write a new post.