Swag Bags
Posted by utherpend austicke

austicke wrote:
utherpend wrote:I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING next year.

You'll be sorely missed.

Typical TROLL response, your ilk are the people I avoid.

Posted by utherpend nikki

nikki wrote:
utherpend wrote:
nikki wrote:
I did see them refilling the program books several times during the con.  That sounds very frustrating.
I don't get being upset about the swag bags.  I take it you didn't bring your own bag?  I'm sorry about that but most vendors give away bags (of varying sizes) away when you buy something so even if you didn't bring your own backpack or messenger bag, you could have gotten bags to hold anything you bought. 
So I should buy something that was supposed to be part of my ticket price?  You can waste your money like that I choose not to.
I don't believe the badge price has anything to do with the swag bags.  The bags are provided by the vendors at their own expense.If you buy something at most vendors, they will give you a plastic or paper bag to hold it for free.
Also, you can bring a backpack or a messanger bag from home that will hold most of your stuff while allowing you to keep your hands open.
Everything that they PROVIDE at GenCon is part of the price, not sure why I have to explain this its common sense. You seem to be missing the point. THEY HAD BAGS AND DIDNT PROVIDE THEM.

Posted by austicke utherpend

utherpend wrote:
austicke wrote:

You'll be sorely missed.

And I try to avoid people who whine and rant in ALL CAPS, but here we are.

austicke wrote:
utherpend wrote:
austicke wrote:

You'll be sorely missed.

And I try to avoid people who whine and rant in ALL CAPS, but here we are.

I see why your perspective is so far off when you think less than 10% of what is typed equates to ALL CAPS.  Typical brave Troll on the internet, look me up some time and I will show you how wrong you are.

Posted by ironsphinx

If it bothers you so much, perhaps you'd be better off contacting Gen Con directly and addressing your concerns to them.

If they didn't have swag bags for anyone and the volunteer you talked to at the con gave you incorrect information, the staff needs to know about it. If they had swag bags for your badge level and you didn't get one for whatever reason, then they need to know about it.

When I've had problems at the con in the past, and reported it back to them, I've found the Gen Con staff to be very responsive via e-mail. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.gencon.com/contactus

Contact Us
By TelephoneGen Con Inquiries & Main Line

• 800-529-EXPO (3976)
  • 206-957-EXPO (3976)

Fax

• 206-957-1862

Postal Address
GEN CON LLC
120 Lakeside Ave Suite #100
Seattle, WA, 98122

Electronic Mail

Posted by daveculp utherpend

utherpend wrote:
 Now you can ramble on about how vital you think they are, the FACT of the matter is that we did not receive them and I PAID FOR THEM IN MY TICKET PRICE.  You can choose to waste your money any way you want but as a CONSUMER who PAID IN FULL before the event I expect to get what I am promised. 

Can you show me where Gen Con promises a swag bag as part of the cost of the badge?

utherpend wrote:
galahadkoa wrote:
rhone1 wrote:
What's a swag bag?
Seriously, those haven't been around for a few years now.  A coupon book is the new swag.  There were also program books on Saturday at a few locations as late as Saturday in the afternoon.
You used to get swag and coupon books, but with gen cons attendance doubling over the last five years im sure getting enough actual swag is a problem. Far more expensive now.
So because GenCon is getting MORE people and making double the profit they did in previous years means they should eliminate them?  I am guessing you didnt take economics, but I am sure you mean this SAVES Gencon a lot of money which means MORE profit for them and less value for the membership I purchased.  I am taking all of that into account which is why I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING next year.

I really hope that you are not saying that because a swag bag with mostly useless material was not included you are going to skip one of the best weekends in gaming?

1.  A swag bag is not mentioned anywhere as a perk to your registration.
2.  They have not been given the last couple of years that I remember.
3.  Increased attendance actually means increased expenses.  Gen Con has now taken over the entire ICC, moved into Lucas Oil Field Stadium and further expanded into the surrounding hotels.  That expansion takes money.
4.  The swag bags might have been give out at a loss.  So if Gen Con loses $5.00 per bag they might be able to absorb that loss with a low attendance, but with a higher attendance and associated costs with expansion maybe they cant absorb the cost?
5.  An attendance uptick of 20K-30K over the last few years means that they have to come up with enough materials to put in that many bags AND have the time and/or money to have someone stuff that m,any bags.

In the grand scheme  of things a swag bag is minor compared to the amazing awesomeness that is the best four days in gaming!

Posted by njseahawksfan

Swag bags are not "part of the ticket price", good sir.  They used to be promotional materials that were donated by companies to help promote their companies & products, but they haven't been used in several years now.  Your entire premise is incorrect and outdated.

Posted by austicke utherpend

utherpend wrote:Typical brave Troll on the internet, look me up some time and I will show you how wrong you are.

Sure thing. Please just post your full name, home address, social security number and bank account number. Thanks!

Posted by utherpend njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
Swag bags are not "part of the ticket price", good sir.  They used to be promotional materials that were donated by companies to help promote their companies & products, but they haven't been used in several years now.  Your entire premise is incorrect and outdated.
When you promote it, its part.  Keep the excuses coming.

austicke wrote:
utherpend wrote:Typical brave Troll on the internet, look me up some time and I will show you how wrong you are.

Sure thing. Please just post your full name, home address, social security number and bank account number. Thanks!

Good try identity theft boy

Posted by utherpend ironsphinx

ironsphinx wrote:
If it bothers you so much, perhaps you'd be better off contacting Gen Con directly and addressing your concerns to them.
If they didn't have swag bags for anyone and the volunteer you talked to at the con gave you incorrect information, the staff needs to know about it. If they had swag bags for your badge level and you didn't get one for whatever reason, then they need to know about it.
When I've had problems at the con in the past, and reported it back to them, I've found the Gen Con staff to be very responsive via e-mail. Your mileage may vary.
http://www.gencon.com/contactus
Contact Us
By TelephoneGen Con Inquiries & Main Line

• 800-529-EXPO (3976)
  • 206-957-EXPO (3976)

Fax

• 206-957-1862

Postal Address
GEN CON LLC
120 Lakeside Ave Suite #100
Seattle, WA, 98122Electronic Mail

I was actually hoping they looked at this forum but I see that was hoping for too much.  I will drop them a line and hold my breath...../sarc

Posted by utherpend daveculp

daveculp wrote:
utherpend wrote:
galahadkoa wrote:
rhone1 wrote:
What's a swag bag?
Seriously, those haven't been around for a few years now.  A coupon book is the new swag.  There were also program books on Saturday at a few locations as late as Saturday in the afternoon.
You used to get swag and coupon books, but with gen cons attendance doubling over the last five years im sure getting enough actual swag is a problem. Far more expensive now.
So because GenCon is getting MORE people and making double the profit they did in previous years means they should eliminate them?  I am guessing you didnt take economics, but I am sure you mean this SAVES Gencon a lot of money which means MORE profit for them and less value for the membership I purchased.  I am taking all of that into account which is why I WILL NOT BE ATTENDING next year.

I really hope that you are not saying that because a swag bag with mostly useless material was not included you are going to skip one of the best weekends in gaming?1.  A swag bag is not mentioned anywhere as a perk to your registration.
2.  They have not been given the last couple of years that I remember.
3.  Increased attendance actually means increased expenses.  Gen Con has now taken over the entire ICC, moved into Lucas Oil Field Stadium and further expanded into the surrounding hotels.  That expansion takes money.
4.  The swag bags might have been give out at a loss.  So if Gen Con loses $5.00 per bag they might be able to absorb that loss with a low attendance, but with a higher attendance and associated costs with expansion maybe they cant absorb the cost?
5.  An attendance uptick of 20K-30K over the last few years means that they have to come up with enough materials to put in that many bags AND have the time and/or money to have someone stuff that m,any bags.
In the grand scheme  of things a swag bag is minor compared to the amazing awesomeness that is the best four days in gaming!
They also INCREASED THE PRICE OF TICKETS, as well as eliminating a lot of other amenities.  Ive been part of other conventions so I know the structure it takes and the cost.  Telling me MORE attendees means they earn LESS profit is stupidity at its finest.

Posted by britbrit

If the whole reason you go to Gen con is for a swag bag you might want to rethink your priorities. 

I don't drop hundreds of dollars for a dinky bag I do it for an amazing convention. 

If you want a bag so bad I have some, I'll be happy to one mail to you for the price of a gen con badge since that seems to be the only reason you go and only reason you seem to not want to go next year. 

LOL 

Like a child crying because didn't get a toy in their happy meal. 

Posted by utherpend britbrit

britbrit wrote:
If the whole reason you go to Gen con is for a swag bag you might want to rethink your priorities. 
I don't drop hundreds of dollars for a dinky bag I do it for an amazing convention. 
If you want a bag so bad I have some, I'll be happy to one mail to you for the price of a gen con badge since that seems to be the only reason you go and only reason you seem to not want to go next year. 
LOL 
Like a child crying because didn't get a toy in their happy meal. 
If you would like to refund my 4 day membership badge to show how superior you are then just let me know, otherwise your opinion is the typical fanboy arguing how good the Star Wars Prequels were.  As for your offer to mail me a bag I would be more than happy to pay you what you are worth, I am sure a pile of dung will keep if wrapped properly.

I dont plan on coming back I will be taking my money and my friends to DragonCon where they treat you like an actual asset and not just the first three letters, which is what you seem to be.

Posted by braewe utherpend

utherpend wrote:
I didnt ask peoples opinions on here about the Bags, in the past there have always been bags, when I inquired about the bags at the coupons desk I was told they had them but were not delivered.  Now you can ramble on about how vital you think they are, the FACT of the matter is that we did not receive them and I PAID FOR THEM IN MY TICKET PRICE.  You can choose to waste your money any way you want but as a CONSUMER who PAID IN FULL before the event I expect to get what I am promised.  My OP was about the services and how LACKING they were this year.  Fanboy rants about how great Gencon is dont concern me.  This among other issues are why I will NOT be attending GenCon next year.

No, you didn't. The badge does not include swag bags. Some years they have them, some years they do not. COMPANIES in years they have them PAY Gen Con to put them out. So they then not only have to pay Gen Con to present them they ALSO have to pay to produce the bags. Nor were you promised a swag bag. Last year, in fact, the 'swag bag' was just an empty bag! Cool looking, mind you. But empty.

Posted by utherpend braewe

braewe wrote:
utherpend wrote:
I didnt ask peoples opinions on here about the Bags, in the past there have always been bags, when I inquired about the bags at the coupons desk I was told they had them but were not delivered.  Now you can ramble on about how vital you think they are, the FACT of the matter is that we did not receive them and I PAID FOR THEM IN MY TICKET PRICE.  You can choose to waste your money any way you want but as a CONSUMER who PAID IN FULL before the event I expect to get what I am promised.  My OP was about the services and how LACKING they were this year.  Fanboy rants about how great Gencon is dont concern me.  This among other issues are why I will NOT be attending GenCon next year.

No, you didn't. The badge does not include swag bags. Some years they have them, some years they do not. COMPANIES in years they have them PAY Gen Con to put them out. So they then not only have to pay Gen Con to present them they ALSO have to pay to produce the bags. Nor were you promised a swag bag. Last year, in fact, the 'swag bag' was just an empty bag! Cool looking, mind you. But empty.
Once again you MISSED the part where the staff explained they had them as well as the other problems they caused during the Con.  When I PAY for something I expect to get my moneys worth.  As I stated to others if you want to refund me my badge cost then do so. but you dont have the right to tell me I simply have to accept it.  You tools can let people take your money and give you bad service, I dont stand for it no matter how many immature 12 year olds responses I get on this post.  And before you say it this is the last post I am making and this thread is done.

Posted by david campbell

Typed a few things; kept deleting it saying to myself 'Don't feed the troll" but this thread is too funny with indignation. Moderation must still be sleeping off the con; otherwise this would already be locked by now....:)

Posted by britbrit

OOOOHH DRAGON CON! 

Hopefully they have bags OR ELSE. 

So tragic

utherpend wrote:
njseahawksfan wrote:
When you promote it, its part.  Keep the excuses coming.

Can you show me where Gen Con has promoted "swag bags" as part of the convention.

It boils down to this -  Swag bags are in no part an official part of the con, they are not listed as a perk when buying a ticket and have not been given out the last few years.

If you want to not go to one of the best gaming conventions and experiences on the planet because you didn't get a swag bag of useless materials then that is your prerogative, go for it.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 4