Big event updates (including Magic)
Posted by patellis15

I'd echo that I'd "rather" have all the events in the system when registration goes live.  BUT, I fully understand why they can't all be in there.

At the end of the day, we all want to set up our "optimal" schedule.  I may get the exact tickets I want when events go live, but find out that there is another event that I equally want to go to, but it overlaps.  Had I know the schedule before had, I could have selected a different slot, and been able to do both.  Thus, I have to skip the event entered later.  That's the point.  Want want to have the best schedule possible, but inevitably, late events are going to be harder to slot in a preexisting schedule...

Pat E

Posted by cerealkiller195

I like that there are second wave events although i know that they are not "on purpose" for the most part. Some companies did not get their events in on time or had a delay and became part of the second wave, not to discount that some companies maybe waited to see what time slots were being fought over the most and picked "downtime" to schedule their events. Either way the second wave is good for people who did not get a good schedule the first time around due to the lottery and their original events selling out.

This year the second wave greatly helped out myself and my group though we got into some big events a lot of the rpgs we wanted either weren't there or filled up during initial registration. With the second wave though for once since we started going to gencon about 7-8+? years we ACTUALLY got into a call of cthulhu game. We also found a bunch of nifty side events that filled up our otherwise barren saturday with near non stop events (i don't schedule back to back to allow for walk time/lunch).

Posted by ebase131

Are there really no eternal masters events? I'm shocked if that's true and incredibly disappointed. 

Posted by frozen.fallout derekguder

derekguder wrote:
qwaserity wrote:
To those who have late events,
I don't know about others but you can find me sitting at my computer right when pre-registration opens. There are events that I want to get into immediately because I'm bringing two friends to GenCon this year for their first gaming convention. Our schedules were filled quickly with games and events that only happen at cons. Then we fill in the rest of the hours with learning new games, shopping and other convention experiences.
When an event is added later folks like my friends and I have no more room to add another game. We're renaissance gamers who play everything so dropping game A to play game B is a pain. I'm wondering how many other gamers bypass the late added events because their plans are already set in stone.
P.S. Our shopping is planned out in one hour breaks between events so we can't squeeze in another game.

I'm not sure I understand what message you want to send to folks with late events, but I had a few general points to provide as some kind of reply.First, no one at any point in the process wants their events to be late, but there are many factors that can cause that - plenty of which are not actually anyone's fault, if that even matters.
Second, Gen Con is always going to accept late events as long as we have the time and space to accommodate them. There is absolutely no reason to refuse them categorically and doing so would only result in fewer people playing fewer games, which we should all be able to agree is not a good thing.
If you and your friends have built a schedule you love, feel free to completely ignore late events. That's part of the risk everyone is aware of when their events are late. You found great events - stick with them. New event additions are not going to reduce their quality in any way, or even necessarily going to be better.
If you do see some games you would rather play than what you currently have scheduled, you still have until June 19 to return those tickets online to system credit and replace them with something else (new or not).
Either way, plenty of attendees don't sign up for events day 1 of event registration. Many don't sign up for anything until they arrive onsite at the show. Late events are an opportunity for them to hop into something exciting that may not have been ready at the launch of event registration or might have filled up quickly.
I can certainly understand the frustration of having planned out your weekend only to stumble across something new and enticing, but there is ultimately no sure-fire way to resolve that, and we are not going to artificially reduce the volume of games in an attempt to do so.
-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

I would also like to add that some events (like my own) were not submitted late (I submitted in Feb for early event submission) and my events were not placed until recently.

Not all events that come out after Event Registration are because they are submitted late.  Some events like my own need special consideration and get put to the back of the line (even if you submit as early as possible) and don't get placed until after all other games are reviewed.

So it is possible that they submitted on time but didn't get placed due to special requests and unless Gen Con says its because of a late submission, you cant really know why they got placed later then the event registration day.

Also unless you have something special that you don't want to fill up right away (maybe you have a ton of friends that will try and get tickets) almost everyone that runs games at Gen Con want their games to be ready by event registration day for exactly the reasons you stated.

With a Con like this its expected that not all games will get placed before tickets go on sale and Gen Con would be much more worse off if they cut anything that didn't get reviewed/submitted in time. 

Posted by nscott

As a GM there aren't bonus points for your event selling out on the first day. While some RPG's are dependent on having a full table of gamers for alot of other types of games selling out isn't so important. In fact if you know you have space available you can tell walk-ups right away that they can get into an event without them having to stand around for 15 minutes waiting to see which ticket holders actually make it.

Posted by brotherbock nscott

nscott wrote:
As a GM there aren't bonus points for your event selling out on the first day. While some RPG's are dependent on having a full table of gamers for alot of other types of games selling out isn't so important. In fact if you know you have space available you can tell walk-ups right away that they can get into an event without them having to stand around for 15 minutes waiting to see which ticket holders actually make it.

Except that your open tickets may have sold out in the last five minutes on site at event reg, so you really can't say that unless you're tracking it live online. I think people can buy tickets right up to the start time of the event. 

Posted by mhayward1978 ebase131

ebase131 wrote:
Are there really no eternal masters events? I'm shocked if that's true and incredibly disappointed. 

It certainly doesn't appear there are - but maybe they are waiting:

https://www.gencon.com/event_finder/Host/Pastimes?ag%5B%5D=un&ag%5B%5D=eo&ag%5B%5D=tn&ag%5B%5D=ma&ag%5B%5D=tw&exp%5B%5D=no&exp%5B%5D=so&exp%5B%5D=ep&opt%5B%5D=ta&opt%5B%5D=hh

Posted by jhs mhayward1978

mhayward1978 wrote:
ebase131 wrote:

It certainly doesn't appear there are - but maybe they are waiting:https://www.gencon.com/event_finder/Host/Pastimes?ag%5B%5D=un&ag%5B%5D=eo&ag%5B%5D=tn&ag%5B%5D=ma&ag%5B%5D=tw&exp%5B%5D=no&exp%5B%5D=so&exp%5B%5D=ep&opt%5B%5D=ta&opt%5B%5D=hh

My guess is that they are worried about supply--I don't think they can just order all the cards they want.  I wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing drafts if they are able to get the cards, though.

Posted by ebase131

Are there any rules against bringing boxes of eternal masters and finding random people interested in drafting it together? With money exchanging hands I don't know of you need a true "event" or if they don't care. 

Posted by derekguder

You're more than welcome to submit a normal ticketed event if you want to reserve space - there are a couple independent Magic events each year.

You can also just bring a box and see who you can get together to play, but space won't be reserved without an event submission, so you'll just have to ask the HQ for open space, like any other pick-up game.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by ebase131

Hi Derek, 

Thank you for the quick response. How much is it to host an independent event like that, or is it free? I assume I'm not allowed to charge people, it'd need to be tickets? How would that work then? 

Posted by derekguder

You'll want to go through the Host page and Event Host Policy, but in brief there is no cost to run a ticketed event and you're more than welcome to charge if you want or need to.

You just submit the event details, we'll assign you space, you collect tickets from all players and turn those in to us to track attendance. If you added a fee to your event, we'll send payment out after ticket reconciliation has been completed.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by ebase131

Hey Derek, 

Is there anything from a legal standpoint that I would need to worry about if I wanted to host an eternal masters booster draft or two? Would I need some gaming license or agreement with wizards of the coast to do so? I just have a generic badge, what would I need to do to ensure there's no issue with me trying to setup some drafts? 

I'd like to not get sued or anything, but would really love to draft this awesome set; I assume there would be a ton of interest from other magic players. Deeply puzzling that pastimes does not appear to be hosting any of these drafts. 

Thanks, 
Eric 

Posted by mhayward1978 ebase131

ebase131 wrote:
Hey Derek, 
Is there anything from a legal standpoint that I would need to worry about if I wanted to host an eternal masters booster draft or two? Would I need some gaming license or agreement with wizards of the coast to do so? I just have a generic badge, what would I need to do to ensure there's no issue with me trying to setup some drafts? 
I'd like to not get sued or anything, but would really love to draft this awesome set; I assume there would be a ton of interest from other magic players. Deeply puzzling that pastimes does not appear to be hosting any of these drafts. 
Thanks, 
Eric 

You're not going to be able to host an WoTC sanctioned event without... WoTC sanction.  Of course Derek can't help you with that - you can google Magic Organized Play yourself to figure out what's involved.

You can host a casual non-sanctioned event (i.e. no official judging, no DCI numbers, etc.) - people do it every year at Gen Con (see, for example, the Pauper tournament).

You can't collect money from people to participate in your events at Gen Con other than via ticket price (which Gen Con takes a cut of).  The event hosting guide spells it out.

You could also try to host some magic events where people have to bring their own product.

Broadly, I doubt you are going to be able to fill a table with Eternal Masters drafters for your home-brew draft due to the high expense associated with such an event - it's asking a lot for someone to pay $30+ for a ticket to a draft with 7 strangers that isn't DCI sanctioned and has no judges, timekeeping, etc.

It also seems like asking for trouble - as you only get reimbursed for tickets you return to GenCon that are handed in at your event, so if 8 people sign up, and 5 show to your tournament, you're not going to be able to collect the funds for the 3 other tickets, and you'll be left holding the bag with 3 draft pools worth of Eternal Maters.  Also, you're probably going to have 5 po-ed people because they signed up for an 8 person draft, not a 5 person draft.

Of course - if you're willing to provide the product for free/cheap you should have no problems (other than all the problems you'd have running a tournament - e.g. are you sure you know how to do pairings, how to do tie breakers, how to handle drops, how to handle rules disputes and cheating, etc.).

Posted by derekguder

We can't provide any real official comment on legal concerns, you'll need to make sure than anything you do obeys local Indiana laws as appropriate. You could try asking local stores if there are any things they need to be aware of or take special concern with.

But broadly, as long as you don't claim that the event is official sanctioned or supported if it is not, you're welcome to run something on your own.

As long as you keep it at a reasonable scale (looking at maybe a dozen players at once, max) and make it a compelling event, I suspect you'll do fine.

Considering the timeline to the show, though, you will want to make sure to broadly promote the event as much as you can to get the word out and round up players.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by ebase131

Yeah I mean, there would be more than enough interest to get 7 other people out of the thousands there for magic to draft a hugely anticipated and sought after set like eternal masters. It sounds like legally it may not be quite as simple as it first was made out to be, which is unfortunate. I wouldn't need or want it to be an officially sanctioned tournament...would really just want the 7 other people to help split the cost of the booster box and then draft it because it's awesomely fun to do so. 

Sounds like it would need to be more of a "round up 7 other random people while there and draft" type of "event." 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.