Drop-In Friendly Events
Posted by derekguder

With the show right around the corner and folks finalizing their schedules (or just starting to think about that), I figured it might be good to try to collect a list of games that are particularly friendly for drop-in or last-minute players, either because they are generics-only, almost always have space, or because they're designed for players to pop in and out.

Here are some I've found going through the event list again, but I'm sure there are others I missed, so if you have a personal favorite (or are running one), reply and let other attendees know why the game is great.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by weeble1000

Exiles is very easy to pop in and out of.

Some of our Events are sold out, but plenty of them have a few open spots left. And our setup is flexible enough to squeeze in an extra player or two ;).

The game itself plays quickly, and is very pop-in friendly.

It doesn't matter if a brand new character randomly shows up on the board, game turns are really quick (about 90 seconds), and the rules can be picked up in a few turns of play.

Plus, every one of our events is actually a scenario featuring two or three individual games. So even if you show up particularly late, you can still get a whole game in start to finish.

We are running a narrative campaign that unfolds across three back to back events replayed every day of the con, but the game is a heck of a lot of fun even if you step into the middle of the story. So if you can only show up to Ticking Around Part 3: Deep Ticking, come on down and have fun! 

I guarantee you'll not only have plenty of fun, but also make the game more enjoyable for folks that have been following the whole story!

Posted by ladyimm

Well, I'll beat the Nascrag boys to it and say NASCRAG!
They always have a fun, fun game, they ALWAYS have room and it is seriously a case you get what you put into it.  HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Posted by brotherbock ladyimm

ladyimm wrote:
Well, I'll beat the Nascrag boys to it and say NASCRAG!
They always have a fun, fun game, they ALWAYS have room and it is seriously a case you get what you put into it.  HAVE FUN WITH IT!

Totally agree :) One of the bright spots of the Con every year. Wish I had more time to play their stuff. 

Posted by thejaytrix

The Tower: Meatgrinder!
Huzzah!

Posted by octaviancmb

You can generally get into one of the D&D 5E games, even though they're mostly sold out. Baldman typically has more GMs than expected, so tables will open up and be available for generics. Also, people don't show, just like anything else. However, D&D is in the Hyatt this year, so may be more difficult to find!

Posted by zaphod

BGG Hot Games Room:

http://gencon.eventdb.us/event.php?GameCode=ZED16102882

Posted by derekguder

A direct link for the BGG Hot Games Room full schedule.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.