First time attending!
1 2 4
1 2 4
Posted by rhhata

@ claraclovenhoof:
I'm by no means a veteran, but I have been looking in to Gate 10 parking this year, and this is what I believe I've found.  If I am wrong, I'm hoping a Gen Con vet can correct my errors.
Gate 10 is a company that controls parking lots just south of Lucas Oil Stadium, which is just south of the convention center.  Appears that the walk from the lots to the con would be between .5 and 1.0 miles.  The lot is somewhat rough, old asphalt and gravel, but level and packed.  From my research, it appears that you can walk sidewalk all the way to the convention center.
Gate 10 parking for the event will become available at the same time as the conventions Event Registration.  It appears as if it was available under the "Isle of Misfits" category last year, and I am assuming that it will be similar this year.  It also appears as if you will be able to purchase 1 day (for a specific day), 4 day, or 5 day pass.  Last year, the cost was $15 for a one day, $50 for the 4 day, and $66 for the 5 day pass.  I am hoping that the price will be similar this year.
It appears as if there will be about 2000 spaces available.  It could be more or less, I have no idea what so ever what properties Gate 10 owns, or will make available to Gen Con.

If parking is a concern, there is also the ParkWhiz website, just put in "Indianapolis Convention Center"in the "Find Parking search box, then search for the "Gen Con" event.  You can use it to reserve parking around the convention center.  It appears to deal with many, but not all of the parking facilities in the area.

Good luck, and I hope you have a tremendous con experience!

Posted by sithina

Chiming in on Gate 10 experiences...

We used them last year and it was one of the BEST choices we made for the con, no exaggeration.

We have friends who live right in Indy, so we never bother with hotels, but we know we have to secure parking. We didn't want to worry about driving around looking for parking in the morning, so being able to buy the pass before the con was great for our peace of mind. Peace of mind is important to us while traveling, lol.

Gate 10 actually had two large parking areas--their main lot, by their building, which is grass (no holes or anything and parking organization/direction was spot on) and south of lucas oil stadium, and their overflow lot (the paved one the above poster seems to be talking about) a bit northwest of the main lot. We were always in the main lot, so I can't speak for the overflow lot experiences and distances.

Their main lot is just maybe two/three blocks from the icc? You cross the road and walk up along the sidewalk going to and beside lucas oil. Right at the corner crossing between lucas oil and the icc is a side entrance into the icc. This door enters into the walkway between los and icc, so people with events in lucas oil went left and anyone going to icc just went right. So handy :)

We only used the morning shuttle from the lot once. The shuttles were great and the drivers friendly, but we liked the short walk, and for early events, this was best for us. We used the shuttles later in the day when we were tired and just wanted to sit. The waits for these shuttles can be long, but that was more because of rush hour traffic than anything. Nothing to fuss over for us. 

We're hoping they offer the gate 10 package again this year. It's definitely a service we'll register for again :) The 5 day pass was a great deal for us. 

Posted by quarex

I have also loved much of the advice posted here, particularly that ancient author-unknown screed from the last page and its breakdown of what kind of experience you can have for what cost.  

Has anyone else found that their expenditures at Gen-Con go down year-over-year, particularly adjusting for inflation?  Or am I a weird outlier in this regard?

Really I wonder if my particular situation just meant I am less likely to buy things the longer I go--like the things I have "always wanted to have" are by and large in my collection at this point, and as someone who has moved out of state an average of once a year for the past decade, I never really take the time to find new gaming groups, so I also have nothing to buy for current campaigns.  But maybe it is also just a factor of material possessions not being QUITE as exciting to buy when you are in your 30s instead of your teens :)

The main reason I feel this is relevant is that gamers coming for the first time might well just completely lose their minds at how many amazing things are available for purchase and max out their credit cards, haha.  It used to be harder to go berserk when so many vendors were cash-only, but obviously Square and other such super-handy credit-card-point-of-sale services mean most companies take cards now (though some give cash discounts).

Posted by rutherfordr quarex

quarex wrote:Has anyone else found that their expenditures at Gen-Con go down year-over-year, particularly adjusting for inflation?  Or am I a weird outlier in this regard?

They don't go down, but they do get re-arranged.

I've discovered over the years that if I eat really well during the convention, I don't catch the cold virus during or after the show. So I spend the money to eat three good, healthy meals every day, and as a result I tend to spend less in the exhibit hall.

Posted by cguill

My expenses have gone down.  I Used to take $1k in cash with me (after room and travel expenses) for the dealer room.  Last Con I barely spent $400 because I can now find rare and "hard to find items" online vs having to get them at a Con.  I also have more artwork than my house can support by at least 2x, so I don't need to buy artwork anymore.  I still do, I just don't drop 400-600 a pop, now more like $100.  My FLGS offers discounts on games to regulars who game in store, so I tend to support them for in stock or easily acquired games unless Sunday's "please take this home" deal is absurd.

Posted by pinkparasol

Chiming in that one of the things that makes convention going much easier for me is that if you are in a hotel and want to save a few bucks on meals while still eating something filling is to bring some easy to no prep needed food items. Like those individual oatmeal or cereal cups and a small cooler to hold your milk, sandwich making items, and such. (The free ice in most hotels makes the cooler ideal for a cool drink without having to pay $2.75 or more for a can of coke when you get back and want to relax for a few moments before bed. Using the free coffemaker in most hotels to heat water for your oatmeal or cup of soup. Or you can bring your own electric kettle to boil water if you're not sure about there being a coffee maker. Also, bringing your own snacks with you when you can get them from your local grocer is cheaper then having to go shopping in downtown Indy when you want to set up a session in your hotel room when the con is winding down for the night and you don't feel like going out on the town.

This has helped me a lot, especially as a cosplayer when I have to apply prosthetic ears or fix a seam in a costume thus don't have the time to pop down to buy breakfast from somewhere. Also, if you have kidlets bring healthy snacks with you. Because there is nothing but junk and fast food in the convention hall itself and it's expensive as well. I tend to throw a few granola bars or small bags of trail mix into my messenger bag along with a small first aid kit, since paper cuts are a pain and there have been several times having band aides and some aspirin on hand has allowed someone to stay at the table and not have to hunt for such and miss part of the session.

This is only my second Gen-con but I've been con going since I was a tiny high school kid, and food is always one of the biggest surprise expenses if you have a budget to follow. So saving a few extra bucks by 'eating in' for one or two meals during your time there actually makes a difference, and it also is a nice moment to decompress when you sit back for maybe half an hour in your room with a cold coke and a sandwich before going back out into the fray. That and those eating in moments also let's you off load merch and other items you may not need for the rest of the day. 

Posted by ashleyshea divachelle

divachelle wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the room or event ribbons can be a great value; they give you a fallback plan. I think iello offers one and I know that Mayfair does. It's a buy-once, play-all-weekend sort of deal. The Mayfair one gives you entrance to a Mayfair mixer deal with snacks and gaming after 9PM Friday evening.

I am a new attendee, too. I couldn't find events like this in the event list. Are tickets sold out? If not, what is the best way to find these?

thanks!

Posted by bushmaster

I don't believe there is a specific event.  I think you just need to go to the dealer room and play the demos.

Posted by divachelle ashleyshea

ashleyshea wrote:
divachelle wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the room or event ribbons can be a great value; they give you a fallback plan. I think iello offers one and I know that Mayfair does. It's a buy-once, play-all-weekend sort of deal. The Mayfair one gives you entrance to a Mayfair mixer deal with snacks and gaming after 9PM Friday evening.

I am a new attendee, too. I couldn't find events like this in the event list. Are tickets sold out? If not, what is the best way to find these?thanks!

I couldn't find it either this year, and I've bought it for at least two years running.

There is a mixer thing each night from 8-midnight, and each one is individually ticketed. They're called Mayfair Get Together. Here are the links:
Thursday -- https://www.gencon.com/events/115438 
Friday -- https://www.gencon.com/events/115439 
Saturday -- https://www.gencon.com/events/115440 

Posted by wendel

Be sure to carefully look through the convention book for things that you want to do. Nothing more frustrating to be looking at the convention book on your flight home and see something that you missed and would have liked to do!
Relax and have fun, welcome to the adventure!

Posted by alittleparrott

2 weeks out and so excited!!!!

I keep reading about a coupon book? Where can this be found? Is there a limited supply/ do I need to plan on getting there early on the first day to pick one up? 

Also, wanted to thank everyone for their input. The con hasn't even started yet, and already, this is turning out to be such a great exlerience, and so different from other cons. Thank you!!!

Posted by austicke alittleparrott

alittleparrott wrote:I keep reading about a coupon book? Where can this be found?

It's labeled on the map: Coupon Books (Wabash East).
Is there a limited supply/ do I need to plan on getting there early on the first day to pick one up? 

Nope.

Posted by alittleparrott austicke

austicke wrote:
alittleparrott wrote:I keep reading about a coupon book? Where can this be found?

It's labeled on the map: Coupon Books (Wabash East).
Is there a limited supply/ do I need to plan on getting there early on the first day to pick one up? 

Nope.____________________________________________________
Alec Usticke, Unofficial Gen Con Indy Facebook Discussion Group
thank you! Anything specific (In your opinion) I shouI'd get to first?

Posted by austicke alittleparrott

alittleparrott wrote:Anything specific (In your opinion) I shouI'd get to first?

In regards to the coupon book? Not sure; the coupons will say if anything is limited quantity.

Posted by lord thrifty the cromulent

We're in a slow period at work, so I took a walk over to the convention center in the middle of the day.  I forgot how huge it was.  I entered along one of the Capitol Avenue entrances with the intention to walk around a bit, then leave via the skyway to Circle Center Mall.  It took longer than I expected because the place was much bigger than I remembered and I got lost.

It's a strange place to be when there isn't anything going on.  The public can come and go as they please, and I saw some employee giving a sales pitch to prospective clients.  I think there was one small event happening that was taking up one room.  But it's so massive that I have a hard time picturing it being crowded.

Posted by beccaroo

Hey!! I hope you're getting super pumped!! It's almost time! 

Last year was my first time attending gen con and like you I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want to miss anything! 

I was searching the forums and YouTube for vlogs etc as I like to watch videos to get excited about events! As such when I went I videod my first time experiences! I went for a week so it also included some downtime stuff before the con if you're looking for that too! 

Ill include the the link to my page below and I hope it might help a little!

I hope you have an amazing con! Have fun! It's awesome :) 

becca

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzEkj53a2OELHrIm4QH55g

Posted by alittleparrott beccaroo

beccaroo wrote:
Hey!! I hope you're getting super pumped!! It's almost time! 
Last year was my first time attending gen con and like you I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want to miss anything! 
I was searching the forums and YouTube for vlogs etc as I like to watch videos to get excited about events! As such when I went I videod my first time experiences! I went for a week so it also included some downtime stuff before the con if you're looking for that too! 
Ill include the the link to my page below and I hope it might help a little!
I hope you have an amazing con! Have fun! It's awesome :) 
becca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzEkj53a2OELHrIm4QH55g
these are amazing! I actually came across one of these not tok long ago and watched one of yours! (I'm not a creepwad I swear!) That's one of the things I'm most excited about - it hasn't even started, and already everyone is so nice and supportive. I'm super excited, and am finding it hard to get ANYTHING done at work lately. We leave in 5 days, and I almost can't contain myself. Thank you so much for these! It definitely helps to actually see everything to know what you're in store for. Hope to see you there!

Posted by beccaroo

Oh that's awesome! Sure I put them up for people to see and get hype! Cause like I said, that's something I love to do too!!! :)

Yes definitely one of the things I love most about gen con is the people!! Everyone is so nice and it's always so interesting to meet people from so many different places!! 

Unfortunately i cant make it to gen con myself this year, so I will be living through other people's vlogs this year!! :) but next year hopefully I will bump into you! Because I'm sure you will love it and want to go again! XD

have an amazing time! :) 

Posted by alittleparrott

Just wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU to everyone who offered advice. We had an amazing time, and I'm so glad we picked such a great year to come. Hoping to see you all again next year!!

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4
1 2 4