Returning badges
Posted by jhs

When do we have to do it by, and what is the process?  Haven't completely given up hope but having stayed outside of downtown previously and not enjoyed it want to make sure I don't get stuck.  Side note: hugely prefer current system to old, had a nice Sunday knowing housing was a non issue.

Posted by soulcatcher78

Exchanges and RefundsIf you need to Exchange or Refund your badge, please contact Customer Service directly and they happily will assist you.Please note that all badge refund/exchange requests must be received prior to the end of Pre-Registration.

Posted by jhs

Thanks!  For those like me who didn't know, pre-reg ends July 2.

Posted by bushmaster

Another piece of information:

All badge refunds are subject to a $10 administrative fee.

Posted by garhkal

I've never understood WHY that 10 buck admin fee was even added for people refunding their badges.. 

Posted by austicke garhkal

garhkal wrote:I've never understood WHY that 10 buck admin fee was even added for people refunding their badges.. 

I did and still do.

It costs money to take an order and process a credit card charge and then take a cancel and then process a refund. Plus, if Gen Con allowed people to buy unlimited badges which can then be refunded at no cost, it'd sure mess up the number of entries in the housing lottery.

Posted by mhayward1978 austicke

austicke wrote:
garhkal wrote:I've never understood WHY that 10 buck admin fee was even added for people refunding their badges.. 

I did and still do.It costs money to take an order and process a credit card charge and then take a cancel and then process a refund. Plus, if Gen Con allowed people to buy unlimited badges which can then be refunded at no cost, it'd sure mess up the number of entries in the housing lottery.

Yes - most credit card transactions end up costing the recipient something like 2.9%, and also possibly some flat charge like 30 cents.

So, for Gen Con to refund your $95 badge it will cost them a few bucks out of pocket.

Plus they have to pay staff to read those emails, run the refund, correspond with you  about it, etc.

A $10 return fee seems pretty OK to me.  Maybe it could be $5.  It can't be $0.

Posted by jhs

I figured I was buying a $10 lottery ticket, seemed worth it.  Similar odds to traditional lotteries probably!

Posted by big12cowboys

Just think of it as a blind date.  You finally meet, and the other person is gorgeous.  But then you start talking and find out they are exactly not what you're looking for.  You could go on the date, take a $30 taxi ride to a restaurant of their choosing and find out the restaurant serves nothing you like. You want to go hear some live music, they want to go to a movie.  You're out almost $100.  Or at the beginning of the date, you give the other person $10 for a taxi ride home, tell them you're sorry for wasting their time, and wish them well.  I'll take option B.

Posted by garhkal big12cowboys

big12cowboys wrote:
Just think of it as a blind date.  You finally meet, and the other person is gorgeous.  But then you start talking and find out they are exactly not what you're looking for.  You could go on the date, take a $30 taxi ride to a restaurant of their choosing and find out the restaurant serves nothing you like. You want to go hear some live music, they want to go to a movie.  You're out almost $100.  Or at the beginning of the date, you give the other person $10 for a taxi ride home, tell them you're sorry for wasting their time, and wish them well.  I'll take option B.

That shows you how many blind dates i have been on, cause if i showed up and it wasn't what i was expecting (like say i made a reservation at an indian restaurant, and she can't stand indian food, or as in that movie/music situation), i would just apologiese, but i wouldn't give HER money to take a taxi home...

Posted by big12cowboys garhkal

garhkal wrote:
big12cowboys wrote:

That shows you how many blind dates i have been on, cause if i showed up and it wasn't what i was expecting (like say i made a reservation at an indian restaurant, and she can't stand indian food, or as in that movie/music situation), i would just apologiese, but i wouldn't give HER money to take a taxi home...
I was just trying to make a point.  I've been on dates that if I knew how they were going to end, I would have gladly given the woman $10 just to leave at the beginning.  And to be fair, I'm sure I've been on many dates that the woman would have paid me $10 to go away.  I'm sure there are times my wife would pay me $10 just to shut up and go away.

Posted by jlawry86 big12cowboys

big12cowboys wrote:

THIS! But in all seriousness, mind that pre-reg deadline if you decide to cancel your badge. If you wait until after the pre-reg deadline to cancel it, then Gen Con can (and most likely will) turn you away. I used to volunteer for their Customer Service department and I couldn't tell you how many people we had to refuse who decided to wait until the last minute for a refund. They may have changed the policy since I worked there (it was a few years ago) but your best bet is to do it as soon as you realize that you can't or won't be able to go.

Posted by mikeboozer

Please go here for all of the pertinent information on returns.
Terms of Service

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Volunteer Manager
Gen Con LLC

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.