D&D Experience @ GenCon: High Track B
Posted by tparhamjr

Hail, fellow folks. Just putting out a bit of a market test here. We're going to be in the T3 Track B with a party of 3, one of which (me) will be a Beastmaster ranger with a mastiff. Others are a grave cleric (my buddy) and a pretty awesome eldritch knight (my wife - both in-game and out).

Now, given the amount of heat Beastmaster takes online, I want to be certain we're set with folks who won't be jerks about it. Yes, it's sub-optimal. It's also fun and makes good use of the shared story between wife's character and mine. Combat is fun, but we like to RP it up too. Besides, if you're a rogue, I'll make sure 'ol Euphio gets to be good buddies with you right away.

So, anyone else in T3 B and down for adventuring with a married couple, their lightly-armored goodest boi, and a delightfully deadly third wheel?

Posted by drmean

I just happen to have a group of 3 myself. Haven't heard what they are playing yet, but they have always played a mage-type and fighter-type (he's played a paladin a number of types and a barbarian.) I just emailed them to see what they are going with.

I'm an elf druid, so a beastmaster ranger is a perfect fit. But now I am curious why you say people have problems with beastmasters. This is my only chance to play D&D every year, so I had no idea what the problem is.

Sounds like we'd have everything well covered except the theifly stuff. But there is always a way around that.

Two of us are a bit older, or should we say veteran, and the third is the college-aged son of the other guy if your group is trying to avoid the kids.

I'll let you know when I hear back about the other 2 classes. But it sounds like we might be a good fit if they stick with their usual pattern.

Posted by tparhamjr drmean

drmean wrote:
I just happen to have a group of 3 myself.

... am curious why you say people have problems with beastmasters.

... we'd have everything well covered except the theifly stuff. But there is always a way around that.

Two of us are a bit older ... third is the college-aged son of the other guy.

Hurrah!

I'm probably pretty Reddit-biased, but my beloved beastmaster build takes a lot of heat for not being a massive damage-dealing powerhouse of pain. Honestly, I prefer the versatile support and battlefield management of beastmaster to rangers with a bunch of static bonuses. I'm usually DM, so I like to help others be awesome even as a player, I guess.

Sounds like we could be a good fit! We've got thief detection/ stealth covered with my Pass Without Trace, mage hand, and detect traps. Plus our grave cleric has used his thieves' tools to hilarious effect more than once. Took Lucky to make sure he can hit the checks. If not, we've got heals for days. Would be lovely if one of your troupe has some high-HP frontline potential. Wife's EK is super hard to hit, but not really a tank per se - more a whirlwind of blades, ice, and fire. We also have a REALLY nice story hook into the MOON12 trilogy that will provide much antics if the DM connects the dots. Should be BIG fun!

We welcome all ages and levels of experience! We've only been playing regularly since 2016, and I'm the only one in our group with experience prior to that (lost most of my HS years to the Baulder's Gate series - #noregerts). Honestly, if you folks don't D&D too regularly, that could be a great fit for our more narrative style and preference for heroic acts of idiotic bravery. We love battlemaps and minis (huge painter/ maker geek here), but aren't all about DAT DAMAGE at all times, if that makes sense. Would sacrifice maximum damage for maximum coolness every time.

Let's keep in touch, yeah?

Posted by drmean

Ah, didn't know that about the beastmaster. But no worries there about being a lower damage build. It's always fun to improvise during the fights instead of going full charge mode. The fighter-type in our group usually has that covered.
(Emailed them this afternoon to see if they've picked specifics yet or not. Still waiting to hear back. Worse case is druid can handle some front-line tanking with elemental form or something like that. )

Definitely sounds like a good fit. I met the other two I play with during this event like 6 years ago now. And they've been playing the same type of character every year. Fighter and mage. Hopefully they'll continue the trend this year.

I'll send you a PM when I hear back from them. 

Posted by de648911

Instead of starting a new thread I will piggy back on  this one. We are a group of three players, as well, playing in the high track B. A battlerager, warlock (goblin whose main goal is to make friends) and an abduration wizard (who focuses on buffs and is not big on attacking). If another group of three or less would like to join a group who focuses more on role-play than combat (although by tier 3  it's hard not to be) we would love to join up.

Posted by kellishaver

I'm probably pretty Reddit-biased, but my beloved beastmaster build takes a lot of heat for not being a massive damage-dealing powerhouse of pain. 

I'm not doing any D&D at the con this year, but I just wanted to say.... Ugh. I can't stand playing with people who think that the whole point of a character should be to deal as much damage as possible, or be the most powerful or the very best whatever. That mindset creates so much missed opportunity for fun storytelling.

Characters should be just that - characters, not cardboard cutouts. 

Posted by tparhamjr kellishaver

kellishaver wrote:Ugh. I can't stand playing with people who think that the whole point of a character should be to deal as much damage as possible, or be the most powerful or the very best whatever.
Word. I love theorycraft and build tinkering between games, but when I'm at table, it's about making something cool and heroic happening. For me, that does not include casting fireball every round at max level through dual-wielded staves of the magi or whatever.

So far, am encouraged that some of the folks doing the Experience are of the same mindset. Should be fun!

Posted by sutekh-1

Since the event is less than 3 weeks away: Group of two that is looking to assist High Lady Ordalf in freeing the Moonshaes of the Slain! Depending on need, I have a glamour bard or sun soul monk ready to assist, while my friend has a light cleric or evocation wizard. Roleplay and combat ready!

Posted by de648911

I have a team of a Warlock, Abjuration Wizard and a Battlerager if you would like to join us.

Posted by sutekh-1 de648911

de648911 wrote:
I have a team of a Warlock, Abjuration Wizard and a Battlerager if you would like to join us.
Sure! My friend said he would play his light cleric, and I am still unsure (leaning bard). Then we would have room for 1 more to finish the party.

Posted by de648911 sutekh-1

sutekh-1 wrote:
de648911 wrote:
Sure! My friend said he would play his light cleric, and I am still unsure (leaning bard). Then we would have room for 1 more to finish the party.
Sounds great! If a single player is looking for a party we would love to have you.

Posted by chaosate

I will be running High Track B.  I currently have three at my table so we have room for three more!

Posted by silverf0xx

Hey all. I know some of you have already joined the D&D eXperience DM/Platyer Meet Up thread but I want to make sure you all know about it.

Please hop on over and I'll huck you into the Player Pool to get a group together (it's kinda like getting sorted into your Hogwarts house... but not really).

See you on the thread.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.