Pre-generated Characters
Posted by selvune

My son is signed up for Starfinder and Pathfinder this weekend and it says you don't need any experience to play, rules will be taught.  Materials not provided.  Should he create a character at home and bring it or for those games or do they usually pass out pre-generated characters?  Both events are put on by Paizo.

I don't want him showing up at the time to play and find out he needed to bring a character.

I appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Starfinder I cannot speak for as I haven't played. I don't know why it would be a problem showing up with one made, worst case is he has to play a pregen anyway.

But the Pathfinder events, check if they are for ruleset 2.0. That is being released at Gen Con and thus will be impossible to make a character beforehand. If it is still ruleset 1, same as Starfinder above.

~Komori

Posted by selvune komoridarkclaw

komoridarkclaw wrote:
Starfinder I cannot speak for as I haven't played. I don't know why it would be a problem showing up with one made, worst case is he has to play a pregen anyway.
But the Pathfinder events, check if they are for ruleset 2.0. That is being released at Gen Con and thus will be impossible to make a character beforehand. If it is still ruleset 1, same as Starfinder above.
~Komori
It is 1st edition. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by aegoce

On both, the event should state what level range it's for in the title.  If it's 1-4, he should be able to show up with a 0 xp level 1 character (there are some slightly different rules for building an organized play level 1 than normal level 1 so it might be worth some searching about pathfinder society for that). 

Alternatively he has free time well before the events, the company that makes Hero Lab often have a location in the event ballroom for creating level 1 characters.  I don't know if they'll just be showing off Starfinder/Pathfinder 2 stuff this year or if they'll still have some first edition available.  It can take 20-30 minutes to put a character together that way.

If he doesn't want to make a level 1 or is at an event for a higher level, there should be pregen characters available.  A few years ago they were printed out up by the organization table and you'd need to go grab the one you wanted.  I think it has changed to the table DM having a laminated pack of all the pregens and you just borrow one while at the table though.

For Pathfinder 1.0, I don't know if this file is current but the pregenerated iconics can be found at https://paizo.com/products/btpy9a64?Community-Use-Package-Pathfinder-Society-Pregenerated-Characters  I think you might need to create an account for it to generate the download, but I'm pretty sure it was free.  It isn't necessary to do this, but if playing a level 7 event it could be worth familiarizing oneself with the character abilities ahead of time.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.