Downtown Hotels
Posted by brooks squirecam

squirecam wrote:
kellishaver wrote:
It would be great if Gen Con would step up and give a little more priority to the aged and disabled folks.     

Screw that. I don't want priority treatment. I want equal treatment that doesn't penalize me because of my disability and provides accommodations where necessary to put me on equal ground with everyone else. Priority treatment because of my disability is so... demeaning. It's really, really insulting. 
While they would certainly be more convenient for some people, very few disabilities would require a downtown hotel room to accommodate them. There are accessible transportation options for getting downtown and there are designated quiet areas within the ICC where someone can go sit down, relax, and rest if they need a break from the hustle and bustle of the con. There's a pool of accessible hotel rooms that people with disabilities can participate in if they need to and there are disability services on-site to assist people who need help during the con. 

I dont agree with this. Its clear that the downtown in-block hotel rooms will be sold out in a few hours.Given that situation, I dont see a reason why the ADA rooms should not be reserved for those requiring ADA compliant rooms, as opposed to simply giving an ADA room away to those who dont need it. It used to be that the ADA rooms were kept separate, and you could call in for them. That's how it should be. Or at least give them a 24-48 hr time period first. 
And this doesnt affect me. I dont need such a room. But I feel for those who actually do. 

As far as I understand it the ADA rooms are held aside for those requiring them. Anyone needing an ADA room goes through the same process as everyone else and once they secure a hotel they can contact that hotel directly and request one of the ADA rooms. Again, as far as I understand it, the big change was that anyone requiring an ADA room is not guaranteed a downtown room, but is guaranteed an ADA room in whatever hotel they are able to book. 

It doesn't affect me either, but it's my understanding that Gen Con goes out of its way to accommodate anyone with a disability. 

Posted by squirecam brooks

brooks wrote:
squirecam wrote:
kellishaver wrote:
It would be great if Gen Con would step up and give a little more priority to the aged and disabled folks.     

Screw that. I don't want priority treatment. I want equal treatment that doesn't penalize me because of my disability and provides accommodations where necessary to put me on equal ground with everyone else. Priority treatment because of my disability is so... demeaning. It's really, really insulting. 
While they would certainly be more convenient for some people, very few disabilities would require a downtown hotel room to accommodate them. There are accessible transportation options for getting downtown and there are designated quiet areas within the ICC where someone can go sit down, relax, and rest if they need a break from the hustle and bustle of the con. There's a pool of accessible hotel rooms that people with disabilities can participate in if they need to and there are disability services on-site to assist people who need help during the con. 
I dont agree with this. Its clear that the downtown in-block hotel rooms will be sold out in a few hours.Given that situation, I dont see a reason why the ADA rooms should not be reserved for those requiring ADA compliant rooms, as opposed to simply giving an ADA room away to those who dont need it. It used to be that the ADA rooms were kept separate, and you could call in for them. That's how it should be. Or at least give them a 24-48 hr time period first. 
And this doesnt affect me. I dont need such a room. But I feel for those who actually do. 

As far as I understand it the ADA rooms are held aside for those requiring them. Anyone needing an ADA room goes through the same process as everyone else and once they secure a hotel they can contact that hotel directly and request one of the ADA rooms. Again, as far as I understand it, the big change was that anyone requiring an ADA room is not guaranteed a downtown room, but is guaranteed an ADA room in whatever hotel they are able to book. It doesn't affect me either, but it's my understanding that Gen Con goes out of its way to accommodate anyone with a disability. 
Downtown ADA rooms should be kept for those neededing them. As it stands now, those rooms go in the block to those who do not specifically need them, but it is the last room available at the hotel.

Posted by kellishaver squirecam

squirecam wrote:
brooks wrote:
squirecam wrote:
kellishaver wrote:

As far as I understand it the ADA rooms are held aside for those requiring them. Anyone needing an ADA room goes through the same process as everyone else and once they secure a hotel they can contact that hotel directly and request one of the ADA rooms. Again, as far as I understand it, the big change was that anyone requiring an ADA room is not guaranteed a downtown room, but is guaranteed an ADA room in whatever hotel they are able to book. It doesn't affect me either, but it's my understanding that Gen Con goes out of its way to accommodate anyone with a disability. 
Downtown ADA rooms should be kept for those neededing them. As it stands now, those rooms go in the block to those who do not specifically need them, but it is the last room available at the hotel.

Sorry, maybe wasn't explaining myself clearly.

People who need accommodations should absolutely have priority access to those rooms. What they shouldn't have is priority access to all downtown rooms because they're older or have a disability, which is what it sounded like OP was wanting (I could have misunderstood). That was what I took issue with.

As for the rooms being the last ones to go - isn't that just how normal hotel occupancy works? They make an effort to keep accessible rooms available for people who need them, but if they're booked to capacity, they're booked to capacity. I don't think that's a Gencon thing. I think it's a hotel thing.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.