Wow I didn't see that one coming....

Posted by aaronr

Do you have a source for that?

Posted by hahnarama

they just had multiple posts to their official Twitter account

Posted by colbrook

Confirmed on their Facebook account too

Posted by aaronr

Links so others don't have to also look it up.

Facebook post.

Twitter post.

Posted by monkeyknifefight

Can probably downgrade to using A B and C as the exhibit hall again.

Posted by njseahawksfan monkeyknifefight

monkeyknifefight wrote:

Yeah, no.  First off, they were about 10% of the dealer hall in 2019 *and* the dealer hall needs to have more space per vendor so ... not having Asmodee will mean some of the smaller guys who might have been on the outside looking in because of the COVID mandated additional space per booth now can be there.  

2019.exhibitmap.pdf (gencon.com)

Posted by lore seeker njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
monkeyknifefight wrote:

Yeah, no.  First off, they were about 10% of the dealer hall in 2019 *and* the dealer hall needs to have more space per vendor so ... not having Asmodee will mean some of the smaller guys who might have been on the outside looking in because of the COVID mandated additional space per booth now can be there.  2019.exhibitmap.pdf (gencon.com)

So Gen Con 2021 might actually be The Year of the Indies. I hope that ends up being the case.

Posted by andrewj.rager

I think Asmodee & Paizo NOT being there is a great thing for the hobby! So much space was just opened up like said above for the smaller companies who may have been squeezed out for the giants. I am looking forward to it.

Posted by helenbb

I agree. It will be interesting to see new publishers and events from the smaller guys who traditionally have not been able to be at Gen Con. I am looking forward to finding some new favorites!

Posted by quarex

I am not saying I am GLAD they are not coming, but as I mentioned elsewhere, I AM excited to envision a convention where everyone actually has a reasonably-sized booth and we can walk freely up and down the aisles and every booth has stuff I have never heard of again!  Haha.

Posted by adcjones andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
I think Asmodee & Paizo NOT being there is a great thing for the hobby! So much space was just opened up like said above for the smaller companies who may have been squeezed out for the giants. I am looking forward to it.

The problem with this is, these big companies brought in tons of people who wouldn't otherwise see anything from smaller companies.  Their attendance alone and their advertising reach outside of GenCon efforts really helps GenCon.

Posted by jriley135

If they change their minds, that would be great.  If not, we already have their games.  We will play them at gencon anyway.  And I am looking forward to trying a few from smaller companies. See you all at gencon!

Posted by njseahawksfan adcjones

adcjones wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

The problem with this is, these big companies brought in tons of people who wouldn't otherwise see anything from smaller companies.  Their attendance alone and their advertising reach outside of GenCon efforts really helps GenCon.
Really?  I've got to be honest, I don't know anyone who attends GenCon just because Asmodee is there.  Paizo for sure takes a chunk of RPG folks, but, to be honest, my RPG friends actively avoid playing Pathfinder or D&D at GenCon because they can do that at home.  They are there to play smaller games and, more importantly, to discover new smaller games.  Based on the completely circumstantial evidence of these forums, there "big players" not being there doesn't seem to be a big deal for most of us.

Posted by forar

There's certainly a fanbase for those who are hoping to get exclusives, promos, or early releases from the big names (look at the lines that FFG has had in previous years), but I agree that I doubt it'll somehow cripple the con.

Might it reduce attendance a bit? Sure. But... attendance is capped lower than usual anyways, so a minor reduction in supply and demand might balance out a little, while having some side perks like reducing the difficulty some have in getting a downtown hotel, balancing against what limitations may or may not be present on restaurants, etc. It means that having a few thousand promos/of something will go further proportionally across the attendees, that kind of thing.

A lot can change and remains to be seen over the next 4'ish months, but I remain optimistic.

Posted by sovietprince forar

forar wrote:
There's certainly a fanbase for those who are hoping to get exclusives, promos, or early releases from the big names (look at the lines that FFG has had in previous years), but I agree that I doubt it'll somehow cripple the con.
Might it reduce attendance a bit? Sure. But... attendance is capped lower than usual anyways, so a minor reduction in supply and demand might balance out a little, while having some side perks like reducing the difficulty some have in getting a downtown hotel, balancing against what limitations may or may not be present on restaurants, etc. It means that having a few thousand promos/of something will go further proportionally across the attendees, that kind of thing.
A lot can change and remains to be seen over the next 4'ish months, but I remain optimistic.

I think the cap by sept will at least be raised to 75 percent, heck june 11th in ky most everything going to 100%

Posted by jigreene njseahawksfan

njseahawksfan wrote:
adcjones wrote:
andrewj.rager wrote:

Really?  I've got to be honest, I don't know anyone who attends GenCon just because Asmodee is there.  Paizo for sure takes a chunk of RPG folks, but, to be honest, my RPG friends actively avoid playing Pathfinder or D&D at GenCon because they can do that at home.  They are there to play smaller games and, more importantly, to discover new smaller games.  Based on the completely circumstantial evidence of these forums, there "big players" not being there doesn't seem to be a big deal for most of us.
There are a lot of players who do nothing but play in the organized play campaigns all weekend.  If their preferred vendor isn't there, they aren't going to be interested in attending.  I share the logic of not playing the games I can play at home, but despite that, I do try to make a point of getting into 1 of the multi-table specials.  Playing an event that is spread over 200+ tables and over a thousand people is something you can only do at GenCon.  That will be missed this year.

Posted by eldrad12000

I would be worried if the attendance cap was increased unless GenCon somehow allows more games to be run by smaller GMs like they used to. Otherwise, the in my opinion unwise decision to not allow smaller GMs to run a few games is a bad idea.

Posted by ryric

You could still sign up for Online Gen Con and do digital events from your hotel while physically attending, if you wanted. Might be worth if if you love the big Pathfinder special, for example.

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios eldrad12000

eldrad12000 wrote:
I would be worried if the attendance cap was increased unless GenCon somehow allows more games to be run by smaller GMs like they used to. Otherwise, the in my opinion unwise decision to not allow smaller GMs to run a few games is a bad idea.

Not sure what you mean by this. GenCon 2019 I and one other guy ran 10 sessions, 2 a day, of 5E Tal'Dorei-based Scenarios. We were accepted without any hassle.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.