money spike
Posted by sovietprince

3 dollar difference adds up when your buying for mult ppl, but I would not even mention anything if the con exp was not cut in half (when it really don't need to be), less exp should be lowering the price not making it more then when they had twice as much. It's sad about lat year but sticking it to the customer is not the way to do it.

I will enjoy my time anyway but the numbers are a bit off

Posted by forar

Fewer people doesn't necessarily mean that their costs have come down equally.

We know that as it currently stands, they are implementing extra safety procedures. More cleaning and stocking of sanitizer likely means more people on duty, which costs more. The convention center has also gone through upgrades, which I wouldn't be surprised might be passed onto those utilizing the space to some degree. I work for a real estate management firm, and believe me, if we upgrade a building, it's not done out of the goodness of our heart. Oh, the improvements may be legit good things, but that work comes at a premium as well, and it's not done entirely out of pocket with a smile.

In fact, with reduced admission (currently) lined up, people need to represent even more of the funding provided, individually. 1/2 attendance versus (hypothetically) 2/3 or 3/4 of the expenses is going to have to come from somewhere. Maybe that'll be tied to reduced profit margins, maybe it eats into some 'rainy day' funds, whatever it is, if the bump is only $3 per ticket, that's a rather unremarkable boost all told.

Plus, with the vaccine roll out and states acting in response to falling cases, demand might be high enough for there to be actual competition for slots. Just as Gencon missed out on 2020's revenue, so did the convention center, and they will presumably be looking to make up some of that shortfall as well.

It's a complicated issue with a lot of fees, costs, and contracts that we don't have access to (nor should we), but I wouldn't just assume 'smaller con means it should be cheaper'. If it was affordable in 2019, a minor rounding error in the ticket price upwards shouldn't be a deal breaker, and if it is, then hopefully those folks can save up and come back to a much more normal 2022 event.

Doubling the cost of the tickets would be 'sticking it to the customer'. A $3 bump is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Posted by kellishaver

I didn't realize updates had been made to the ICC. I'm looking forward to seeing those. There's no way that 1/2 of the attendance = 1/2 of the cost. I'd assume that the cost difference to run the convention would actually be fairly minimal.

With that in mind, I'm surprised the bump is so small, really. I bought 8 single-day badges instead of four 4-day ones, because we won't be able to attend all four days and I figure Gencon needs that $44. It also leaves the 4-day badges available for the folks who can utilize them. 

This is an event that I've grown to love and want to support. Just because it's big, it doesn't mean that the organizers are getting rich off of it, this year especially.

Posted by cloak72 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Gen Con is not food or housing.  You don't need to go.  If someone is unfortunate enough to have employment issues because of Covid, or any other reason, it's sad, but it's not Gen Con's job to lower their prices to accommodate them.  Gen Con still needs the revenue to pay for the convention.
Also, considering it's about $3, if they can't afford that, they can't afford the rest of the travel & hotels.  Even if Gen Con lowered their price by $20, it would make no difference except to the few people who might be local & don't have to pay to park.
very valid point
It's not.   Mainly due to the fact that it's based on a red herring.   The distinction between essential items and luxury is irrelevant in this case as the principles of inflation and purchasing power apply to both.

Posted by quarex

I think VIG badges went up $50 this year, if you want to talk about where the real price gouging is happening ;) (honestly it seems like until this year VIG was priced too low if anything, considering it was guaranteed to sell out and leave maybe hundreds of people wanting in)

Sometimes I feel like a privileged jerk in that I literally do not even pay attention to how much the normal badges cost.  Well, O.K., since I have been volunteering for almost a decade I was not even paying for them, but my thought process was that I would pay any cost to attend, and then maybe the REST of the stuff is where you should pay attention to costs.

Posted by ascantla

As long as you reach your desired sales quota, then your price is not high enough. That quota is not to sell out. The only way to not see a price increase, is for people not to purchase. At that point, when not enough people purchase to meet cost, then the price may be lowered or the product is removed from the market. 

Posted by mark_theurer andrewj.rager

andrewj.rager wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Which is why some may see, the price of gencon going up YET again (on top of already increasing housing costs, gas costs for travel etc) as being the 'final nail in the coffin' o them going.. Especially when weve seen NUMEROUS folks lose their JOBS over the past year cause of Covid.
I may be wrong, but I think you might have missed my point entirely.Gen Con and Hobby Board Gaming as a whole are luxury items. As Buffy said above, Gen Con needs to stay afloat and honestly a $3 difference from year to year with the hit the dollar and inflation and lost of revenue all took on the US economy as a whole, is really nothing.
People who cannot afford to go to Gen Con or buy games do not have to. Are they nice, yes, but games and gaming doesn't keep the food on the table for 99% of Gen Con attendees. Gen Con is a vacation, not everyone has a luxury of a vacation. It would be amazing if everyone could, but that is never going to be the case.
The point I tried to make above with some actual facts, are the .59 cent hamburger argument is silly, and you can't compare the USD 1 to 1 from year to year without adjustment. They just aren't equal. The price of something didn't go up, as much as the value of your dollar went down. This is the same for what you view as a straw that broke the camels back increase for Gen Con. Isn't learning more fun than complaining?
Using https://www.inflationtool.com/us-dollar/2019-to-present-value
2019 - $100
2021 - $103.68
Whoa... Look at that difference... It's like I've seen that $3 number floating around here somewhere. Just wait til Hyper Inflation! Ya'll are gonna love that! That's your homework assignment for the week. I expect a 3 page report by next Monday!

This!  Exactly!  

If you cannot afford to go, if a $3 increase is too much (even for a smaller attendance cap), if you have to sleep 10 to a room, or sleep in the hallways, or whatever....just don't go.  It's just that easy.

Posted by mark_theurer cloak72

cloak72 wrote:
squirecam wrote:
buffythecatslayer wrote:
Gen Con is not food or housing.  You don't need to go.  If someone is unfortunate enough to have employment issues because of Covid, or any other reason, it's sad, but it's not Gen Con's job to lower their prices to accommodate them.  Gen Con still needs the revenue to pay for the convention.
Also, considering it's about $3, if they can't afford that, they can't afford the rest of the travel & hotels.  Even if Gen Con lowered their price by $20, it would make no difference except to the few people who might be local & don't have to pay to park.
very valid point
It's not.   Mainly due to the fact that it's based on a red herring.   The distinction between essential items and luxury is irrelevant in this case as the principles of inflation and purchasing power apply to both.

I think that the distinction is still relevant.  If both go up in cost then I need to make a decision as to which to reduce or do without.  If I need to make a decision between having enough money in the bank to pay my rent or go to GenCon I sure as heck better be staying home.  But, I think it's even bigger than what amounts to a relatively minor increase in the cost of a badge, hotel, flight, food, gas...whatever.  I think it's a perception by some (certainly not all, but more than a few) that I need to get to do the things that I want to do because I want to do them.  Two years ago there was a couple at my hotel that was having a meltdown in the hotel lobby when checking in because they had to have a temporary charge put on their credit card for incidentals and they didn't have enough to cover it.  To me, this is a pretty good example of someone that could not afford the "luxury" item of GenCon and should have had more focus on "essential" items.  And this was pre-COVID.  

Posted by cloak72

Really, it's not.   Buying Power and Inflation explain *why* it's going up.   Luxury verses necessity informs how you react to that change.    Responding to why it went up with "Yeah, but you don't have to go." isn't a valid counterpoint, it's a red herring.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.