Coming from Airport
Posted by cinnibar

Ok, the Go Express bus is not an option this year.

So that leaves taxi/uber/lyft from the airport.  Higher prices but valid.   So, I would like to tap the hive mind please.

1. Those who have gotten a taxi from the airport before for Gen Con, what's the wait like?  Where do you wait?
2. If Uber/Lyft, how far in advance must you reserve?  Must you reserve?  Can I call for one while walking off the jet bridge?  About how long does it take for them to be ready, how much wait?

I get in about 4:30pm Wednesday, with checked luggage.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Uber & Lyft drivers tend to be circling the airport, or have often just dropped off someone.  Ordering one when you're still on the Jetway is too early, as you still have a few minutes to walk to the front, and I think they give you only 5 minutes to show up.

Posted by squirecam cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
So that leaves taxi/uber/lyft from the airport.  Higher prices but valid.   So, I would like to tap the hive mind please.
1. Those who have gotten a taxi from the airport before for Gen Con, what's the wait like?  Where do you wait?
2. If Uber/Lyft, how far in advance must you reserve?  Must you reserve?  Can I call for one while walking off the jet bridge?  About how long does it take for them to be ready, how much wait?

IIRC the taxi stand was somewhere to the right out of the exit to the bus area.

It wasnt difficult to get one either.

Posted by fethbone squirecam

squirecam wrote:
cinnibar wrote:
IIRC the taxi stand was somewhere to the right out of the exit to the bus area.It wasnt difficult to get one either.
a traditional taxi is usually most expensive (pending possible surge pricing for rideshares) but much faster.

the cab area is right by the baggage claim and they’ll call one straight to the stand as of 2017ish. Last time I flew into Indy for Gencon it was a chaotic wait for a rideshare, and I went over to the taxi stand, hopped in a waiting cab, and was on my way immediately.

Posted by komoridarkclaw

Throwing out that the number 8 bus runs from the Airport to downtown. Probably going to be busy, and its a normal city bus, but its an option.
As for Lyft etc, I ordered one when I arrived at the baggage claim carousel and didn't have to wait too long after my bag arrived before my Lyft arrived in 2019.
~Komori

Posted by alkorahil

I ordered an Uber after I arrived this evening. It was there to pick me up in 3 minutes. 

For newcomers,  keep in mind that the airport is like 20 miles from downtown Indy.

Posted by aldctjoc alkorahil

alkorahil wrote:I ordered an Uber after I arrived this evening. It was there to pick me up in 3 minutes. 
For newcomers,  keep in mind that the airport is like 20 miles from downtown Indy.

14.2 miles to be exact... but yeah, it's a bit of a trip, even on the interstate. Google maps suggests 16 minutes of drive time, but that's going to be very dependent on traffic. I'd say 20-some minutes is a better estimate, with a surprising amount of that being the last mile once you take the exit to downtown. 

If someone chooses to either use the ring freeway (I-465), or go on city streets, that's even longer. When I-70 is open, it's really the best route. 

Posted by mark_a

For future reference, the taxi fare is around $33 to the convention center,  and as earlier posts have mentioned, it was really quick and easy (exit at baggage claim and press the call button under the Taxi Station sign).

New Post Sign in to write a new post.