new health update:
( Locked)
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
Posted by papabees donaldbain

we have been told not to do this. If you want to PM me, I'm happy to send them.

Posted by general lopez gsmiley

Just an anecdote, but we attended 9 events at Gary Con and wore masks at 4 of them, all in the larger rooms.  Most telling was the mask-wearing in the halls and common areas, which was maybe 25%.  That speaks volumes about how most attendees felt about masking.  Hilariously, the event organizer can be seen mask-less in about 50 photos on the Facebook page.  Masks for thee, a toothy grin for me, apparently.Our vaccines worked.  We're fine.

Only my opinion but I don't think they wanted the mask mandate. There was talk of them dropping it a couple weeks out, but there was a huge uproar over it. Based on what happened there it ended up being the majority that did not want them, and only a small minority who did. It should be the attendees choice if there are no local, state or federal mandates.

Gencon wont have that same issue if they choose to keep the mask mandate because they will enforce it, like last year. Most attendees will play by the rules if they know they will be enforced.   

Posted by mykbuckley

I believe it all comes down to how many attendees does Gen Con lose with a vax/mask policy vs how many attendees lost without one. 

I know that without a mandate, two of our group of six would drop out. 

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios quarex

quarex wrote:
It is also relevant to the Gary Con experience, as I mentioned before, that the literal hosts of the event were never wearing masks despite ostensibly requiring it.  Yeah, at that point I am sure some people took their masks off out of sheer annoyance about the hypocrisy.
(I left mine on; I still wear one everywhere, hoping beyond hope that I finally encounter someone unhinged enough to start yelling at me, but I imagine those types of people are incredibly rare in everyday encounters)

Because most people don't care whether you voluntarily wear a mask or not. It's when other people FORCE someone to wear a mask that the yelling begins. Big difference.

Posted by fethbone general lopez

general lopez wrote:
joho wrote:I applaud the caution Gencon is exercising, the vaccine requirement is non-negotiable for my group of a dozen. We would all cancel should it be lifted. The mask requirement makes sense to our group and we’re relieved that it is still in place, hopefully it will stick around this year. Wearing the mask isn’t difficult and we’d rather not risk getting ill mid convention.
also, come on- ‘doing their own science’ (eye roll)

Unvaccinated people are everywhere so does your group just stay home and not go anywhere? Does your group not plan to leave the convention hall because there will be unvaccinated unmasked people everywhere they go in Indianapolis, hotels, restaurants, etc, not to mention the unvaccinated workers in the ICC, medical exemptions and kids under 5 that your group will be around. Even if there was no mask mandate nothing stops you from wearing one?
Exactly, that is the whole idea behind wishing for mask-optional. If you want to wear a mask, that’s fine. If you are confident in their efficacy​​​​​, you should feel protected, especially with the vaccine requirement.

I travel through the Detroit and Atlanta international airports often, and if you want to see thousands of people packed together inside for hours at a time with varying levels of hygiene outside of Gencon, large airports would be it. Hundreds of employees work inside day after day. Masking is less than <10%, probably <5%, employees included. And no, nobody is giving grief to those wearing masks. Obviously, It is not relevant to Gencon what the airport is doing, but just saying Conventions are not the only time people gather in large groups for extended periods of time. It happens all over every day, and everyone is just going about their business.

Posted by grognard262

IMO Gen Con is making a mess of this.  Last year they had a perfectly reasonable policy, which was to follow CDC guidance.  At the time, the guidance was to wear masks.

This year, they seem to be abandoning the policy of following CDC guidance and making their own call, without even remotely having the expertise to second guess the thousand of scientists and doctors at the CDC.  It will all come down to what someone at Gen Con thinks or feels about the situation, regardless of what the professionals have to say about it.

By putting themselves in the center of the debate, rather than letting the experts decide, Gen Con is going to annoy a large number of their customers no matter what they do.  Worse, by not defining the specific conditions under which a mask mandate would be lifted, they give themselves no off-ramp to ever end the mask requirement, which means we're going to have this argument all over again next year and beyond.

Posted by fethbone mykbuckley

mykbuckley wrote:
I believe it all comes down to how many attendees does Gen Con lose with a vax/mask policy vs how many attendees lost without one. 
I know that without a mandate, two of our group of six would drop out. 
yeah, I think they are hoping more people will just give up and comply. I agree with Kevinrg they are probably just kicking the can down the road till June 16th. And now I don’t even know if they will consider me “fully vaccinated”.

in my group, one was in favor of the requirement, and everyone else would prefer mask-optional. Most who wanted mask-optional have already said they will still buy badges and wear a mask, assuming that is the final decision.

Posted by adcjones

GenCon is, of course, free to do what they wish in the interest of safety.  The "pandemic" is over, but the virus is not gone.  It continues to infect and kill people.  Those of us who are vaccinated have a better chance of recovery.  

As a man of science, I have had my 3 doses of the vaccine.  I had COVID in April, and thankfully didn't suffer due to my vaccines.  I think it is solid policy that GenCon is mandating vaccine cards to attend.  

However, the CDC has quoted scientific studies that show masking should be optional to prevent the spread of COVID 19.  I do not wear a mask any longer unless I'm in tight, crowded quarters.  When I go to GenCon this year, I would wear my mask in the dealer hall and hallways whether they're required or not.  I would prefer not to wear it at a gaming table, especially the Pathfinder Sagamore Ballroom where it's already very difficult to hear.

But, if GenCon says they are mandating masks at all times in all locations, so be it.  I'm still going to go and game!

Posted by general lopez mykbuckley

mykbuckley wrote:I believe it all comes down to how many attendees does Gen Con lose with a vax/mask policy vs how many attendees lost without one. 

Exactly I think we can all agree we want Gencon to be around a long time, its amazing they held it together the last 2 years with everything they had to deal with from a finacial standpoint.

I hope they can find a middle ground on the restrictions. I wish they would go back to the early June restictions from last year with a couple modifications. If you're vaxed no mask required, if you are not vaxed, 48 hr test and mask required. The only exceptions would be if the GM wants vaxed people masked at their table it's their call, and make the exhibit hall mask required to keep the vendors happy.     

Posted by nesbit37 general lopez

general lopez wrote:
Just an anecdote, but we attended 9 events at Gary Con and wore masks at 4 of them, all in the larger rooms.  Most telling was the mask-wearing in the halls and common areas, which was maybe 25%.  That speaks volumes about how most attendees felt about masking.  Hilariously, the event organizer can be seen mask-less in about 50 photos on the Facebook page.  Masks for thee, a toothy grin for me, apparently.Our vaccines worked.  We're fine.

Only my opinion but I don't think they wanted the mask mandate. There was talk of them dropping it a couple weeks out, but there was a huge uproar over it. Based on what happened there it ended up being the majority that did not want them, and only a small minority who did. It should be the attendees choice if there are no local, state or federal mandates.Gencon wont have that same issue if they choose to keep the mask mandate because they will enforce it, like last year. Most attendees will play by the rules if they know they will be enforced.   

I don't know where you're getting that the majority of people at Gary Con didn't want masks.  I saw more people wearing masks at game tables than not. One of my games the GM straight up said "we aren't doing masks" and 75% of the players kept wearing them anyway.  Gary Con decided not to enforce their own rule and I, and many others, were not happy about that.  There were a lot of maskless people there but I wouldn't say it was the majority.

Posted by squirecam

I imagine the majority of the vendors want masks and vaccine mandates. They are the ones at greatest risk being 24/7 in the dealer hall.

I'm fine with it. Had fun last year and will again this year.

Posted by papabees

I'll be there to run demos for a company that I love supporting but neither myself nor my group of five have purchased tickets yet because masked gaming was just not something that we particularly enjoyed.

I think I could live with a mask requirement for the dealer hall but I can only speak for myself. It might be a way to make both the vendors and the attendees happy though. 

Posted by helenbb

I was excited when I got an email the other day saying that masks were recommended ut not required... and then I realized that the email was from origins, not Gen Con. Sigh.

Honestly, I think the Gen Con organizers THEMSELVES want people to wear masks, and that's the basis of their decision. That was certainly the vibe I got from the official blog post. I may be wrong, but it certainly *feels* like they are scared, and projecting that onto us. If this is the case, then our opinions are not nearly as important to them as we would like to think.

One thing I hadn't thought of until recently... this group of people on the forum is self-selected. I was at an online gaming con this past weekend, and of the 40-ish people with whom I interacted online, I was the only one who had been to an actual in-person gaming con recently (Gen Con 2021) and the only person planning to attend an in-person gaming cons this year. They were NOT worried about catching COVID. Rather, none of them wanted to wear masks while gaming for hours. In fact, they all refused to attend in-person cons until mask mandates were dropped. I was really surprised to hear this, and then I realized that there is a whole group of gamers out there who are not interacting with Gen Con attendees, because they have chosen NOT to be Gen Con attendees based on the current policies.

When I read through this thread, it sounds like there are so many people who want masks at this con. But if we were to look at ALL potential attendees (including the ones who have taken themselves out of the equation because they refuse to wear masks while gaming) how much lower would the number of mask-wanting people be?

Posted by nesbit37

There enough people who want to attend Gen Con and either want masks or don't mind them to submit more than 12,000 events (so far) and sell out the hotel block.  The people that want masks or don't mind them are not a small number.

Posted by gsmiley helenbb

helenbb wrote:
Honestly, I think the Gen Con organizers THEMSELVES want people to wear masks, and that's the basis of their decision. That was certainly the vibe I got from the official blog post. I may be wrong, but it certainly *feels* like they are scared, and projecting that onto us. If this is the case, then our opinions are not nearly as important to them as we would like to think.

Bingo, you nailed it.  Last year it was all about "follow the science" because the science said masks are required.  Now that the science says masks are optional, the science doesn't matter.  It's all driven by fear.

Posted by squirecam gsmiley

gsmiley wrote:
helenbb wrote:

Bingo, you nailed it.  Last year it was all about "follow the science" because the science said masks are required.  Now that the science says masks are optional, the science doesn't matter.  It's all driven by fear.
Masks are not "optional". They are recommended. While the CDC will not mandate wearing one, that doesnt mean they dont think people should be wearing one. They do.

In any event, Gencon gets to set its rules for its convention. People can attend knowing what the rules are. If they agree to go, they agree to follow the rules.

Posted by gsmiley squirecam

squirecam wrote:
gsmiley wrote:
helenbb wrote:

Masks are not "optional". They are recommended. While the CDC will not mandate wearing one, that doesnt mean they dont think people should be wearing one. They do.In any event, Gencon gets to set its rules for its convention. People can attend knowing what the rules are. If they agree to go, they agree to follow the rules.

No, they are not.  Stop spreading misinformation.  Per the CDC:  "At all levels, people can wear a mask based on personal preference, informed by personal level of risk."

Only at a high community level (e.g. 200 new C19 cases per 100,000 per day or certain hospital stress levels) do they say "wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public, regardless of vaccination status."

Posted by kevinrg nesbit37

nesbit37 wrote:
There enough people who want to attend Gen Con and either want masks or don't mind them to submit more than 12,000 events (so far) and sell out the hotel block.  The people that want masks or don't mind them are not a small number.

I'd put myself in the 'putting up with it' group which is probably a significant number of us judging by the number of people not wearing masks outside of GC in 2021.   I'll wear it in the hall, ICC, games, but as soon as I start crossing the door, I'll be pulling it off.    Even if you are a devoted mask wearer, be prepared... not like all of downtown Indy is going to be masked all of GC.

In hindsight, if I was told in the beginning of the year by the time the convention happened that Origins is mask optional/Gencon mask required, I would have potentially booked my time with Origins.   At the time everything was leaning mask/vaccine so.. went with Gencon still.

Posted by samlamiam papabees

papabees wrote:I think I could live with a mask requirement for the dealer hall but I can only speak for myself. It might be a way to make both the vendors and the attendees happy though. 

I like this idea.  

I think the percent of vendors that want a mask mandate is substantially higher than the percent of attendees that want a mask mandate.  

Posted by bandmaster gsmiley

gsmiley wrote:
squirecam wrote:
gsmiley wrote:
helenbb wrote:

Masks are not "optional". They are recommended. While the CDC will not mandate wearing one, that doesnt mean they dont think people should be wearing one. They do.In any event, Gencon gets to set its rules for its convention. People can attend knowing what the rules are. If they agree to go, they agree to follow the rules.

No, they are not.  Stop spreading misinformation.  Per the CDC:  "At all levels, people can wear a mask based on personal preference, informed by personal level of risk."Only at a high community level (e.g. 200 new C19 cases per 100,000 per day or certain hospital stress levels) do they say "wear a well-fitting mask indoors in public, regardless of vaccination status."

Thanks for posting the link and accurate information; hopefully more people will become aware of this guidance rather trying to coerce others to their personal preference. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
10 11 12 14 16 17 18
10 11 12 14 16 17 18