new health update:
( Locked)
12 13 14 16 18 19 20
12 13 14 16 18 19 20
Posted by donaldbain sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
I just don't get why the restrictions are more this year then last year when things were much worse
The vaccines were still somewhat hard to come by last year, now everyone can get one on demand.

Posted by bigfathairyguy

Truthfully any mask mandate is more of a symbolic gesture than anything else.

I just don't see how you enforce a mask mandate effectively through the whole convention space. Hotels are unenforceable besides in the meeting room that gencon booked. The convention center is pretty much unenforceable in any of the hallways since they don't check badges to enter the convention center. Don't expect your server at a restaurant or anyone around you at the restaurant to be wearing a mask. Don't expect your uber or Lyft driver to be wearing a mask.

This convention is in a heavily red state that lifted the mask mandate a long time ago. So trying to enforce one during Gencon is going to be like putting a square peg in a round hole.

I am not even against having to wear a mask. But if you are attending you should expect a good chunk of exposure to maskless people no matter what Gencon decides.

 

Posted by cinnibar bigfathairyguy

bigfathairyguy wrote:
Truthfully any mask mandate is more of a symbolic gesture than anything else.
I just don't see how you enforce a mask mandate effectively through the whole convention space. Hotels are unenforceable besides in the meeting room that gencon booked. The convention center is pretty much unenforceable in any of the hallways since they don't check badges to enter the convention center. Don't expect your server at a restaurant or anyone around you at the restaurant to be wearing a mask. Don't expect your uber or Lyft driver to be wearing a mask.
This convention is in a heavily red state that lifted the mask mandate a long time ago. So trying to enforce one during Gencon is going to be like putting a square peg in a round hole.
I am not even against having to wear a mask. But if you are attending you should expect a good chunk of exposure to maskless people no matter what Gencon decides.
 
Uh, we did a pretty good job last year doing just this with those who were subject to the rules.   So there you are, a foundation to build on.   Next!

Posted by kevinrg cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
bigfathairyguy wrote:
Truthfully any mask mandate is more of a symbolic gesture than anything else.
I just don't see how you enforce a mask mandate effectively through the whole convention space. Hotels are unenforceable besides in the meeting room that gencon booked. The convention center is pretty much unenforceable in any of the hallways since they don't check badges to enter the convention center. Don't expect your server at a restaurant or anyone around you at the restaurant to be wearing a mask. Don't expect your uber or Lyft driver to be wearing a mask.
This convention is in a heavily red state that lifted the mask mandate a long time ago. So trying to enforce one during Gencon is going to be like putting a square peg in a round hole.
I am not even against having to wear a mask. But if you are attending you should expect a good chunk of exposure to maskless people no matter what Gencon decides.
Uh, we did a pretty good job last year doing just this with those who were subject to the rules.   So there you are, a foundation to build on.   Next!

I think they were referring more towards the 'convention space' in its entirety - hotels, restaurants, halls, etc.   Last year people were complaining about Colts fans moving through the ICC without masks so, I'm not sure GC can control the area entirely.    The rest of the post isn't wrong, you are going to be exposed to maskless people all over the place other than the bubble of badge required items for GC.    

At this point, I'm assuming nothing is changing.   At best I'm hoping for masks in vendor hall, masks when moving, masks optional when at rest at a game table playing.   About as best as I'm hoping for at this time.

Posted by brumcg

Origins just reinstated mandatory masking for 2022.

https://twitter.com/originsgames/status/1526638918757646338

online
Posted by father bloodlust brumcg

brumcg wrote:
Origins just reinstated mandatory masking for 2022.
https://twitter.com/originsgames/status/1526638918757646338

Excellent news.

Posted by quarex

I feel so prescient by pointing out last night that everyone trying to convince Gen-Con to drop its mandate should probably see if we even made it to Origins without them readopting one, haha.

Posted by cinnibar

I assume there will be a flood of people cancelling Origins now according to one theory here.  Or another that no real change will occur.

Here we go!

Posted by squirecam quarex

quarex wrote:
I feel so prescient by pointing out last night that everyone trying to convince Gen-Con to drop its mandate should probably see if we even made it to Origins without them readopting one, haha.
Yeah if the vendors stuck 24/7 in the hall want a mask mandate it's a bad idea to ignore them. Pretty sure enough dropped or said they would that they had to switch back.

There was also a "policy" in the twitter explanation that a GM could require masks at their tables. Which is another bad idea as how could you get that info out in time and many would argue with the GM creating more issues.

Seems like Origins learned no lessons from Gencon last year and instead went with the hold my beer announcement. Now they will just upset everyone with just a few weeks left before the show.

online
Posted by father bloodlust

In fairness to them, they also had a quick turnaround time from last year's Origins. Remember, last year it was held from September 30 through October 3, and now this year's con is only eight months later. I imagine that's not a lot of time to deal with all the usual convention stuff to work on, let alone the other measures that need to be taken to run a safe event during the pandemic.

Posted by squirecam father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
In fairness to them, they also had a quick turnaround time from last year's Origins. Remember, last year it was held from September 30 through October 3, and now this year's con is only eight months later. I imagine that's not a lot of time to deal with all the usual convention stuff to work on, let alone the other measures that need to be taken to run a safe event during the pandemic.
They had watched this happen to Gencon last year. Now they have those people who quit in the few weeks due to the change mad, and those who signed up in the last few weeks when the policy changed also mad because now masks are required again. This was entirely foreseeable and I can see both sides anger from it. 

Posted by papabees

I wonder how much of this was due to "up tick" and how much of this was due to vendors upset?

Posted by kevinrg cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
I assume there will be a flood of people cancelling Origins now according to one theory here.  Or another that no real change will occur.
Here we go!

If it continues to uptick, the cancellations won't be from people not wanting to wear a mask, it will be from those concerned about getting sick.

Posted by lehane brumcg

brumcg wrote:
Origins just reinstated mandatory masking for 2022.
https://twitter.com/originsgames/status/1526638918757646338
Does it look like the city of Columbus will impose a mask mandate or does it look like it will be limited to the convention?

online
Posted by father bloodlust lehane

lehane wrote:
brumcg wrote:
Origins just reinstated mandatory masking for 2022.
https://twitter.com/originsgames/status/1526638918757646338
Does it look like the city of Columbus will impose a mask mandate or does it look like it will be limited to the convention?

The city council voted unanimously to end it back in March, with the mayor quickly signing off on it. Even if they do want to bring it back, I'm not sure they could work fast enough to do it in time for Origins.

Posted by sovietprince

it's very depressing that it will likely not change and it be another year hindered by a mask it's stuffie enough there without a mask. CDC says the individual should decide there own risk and I think the cdc is the science we should follow not on how the higher ups fell about it. 

I do believe in mask wearing but I want to be able to take it off when I fell it safe to do so not forced to keep it on when your sitting at a table and there not being many around. 

 

Posted by cinnibar

Meanwhile for the poker and werewolf players....best news ever!  Poker faces just got real easy!

online
Posted by father bloodlust cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
Meanwhile for the poker and werewolf players....best news ever!  Poker faces just got real easy!

Put some sunglasses on along with your mask, and you've got the complete poker disguise!

online
Posted by hauntedcity cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
Meanwhile for the poker and werewolf players....best news ever!  Poker faces just got real easy!

Thank you for this! Invariably, any time I play a game with a "hidden traitor", I am randomly assigned to be that traitor and everyone figures it out in the first 2 minutes.  I finally have a chance!  :D

Posted by mjlaba48

I am at Disney World in Orlando Florida no one wears a mask here even on the crowded buses and monorails ….the parks are pretty full no masks,..in Florida we haven’t had masks for about a year and a half now so I guess the people that live up north have a lot more issues thinking that the mask does protect you.   The only place we wear masks are in a clinical area inside a hospital and that’s it.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
12 13 14 16 18 19 20
12 13 14 16 18 19 20