new health update:
( Locked)
16 17 18 20 22 23 24
16 17 18 20 22 23 24
Posted by lehane donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
lehane wrote:I have twice gone to Planet Comicon in Kansas City in the past 9 months. The first one (last August) had a mask mandate and I got covid. The second one (March) did not have a mask mandate and I did not get covid. The presence or non-presence of masks didn't amount to any thing. They did not prevent me from catching covid. The Vaccine didn't stop it either cause I am vaccinated and was for both trips. 
You're certain you got it there.  You went straight there and straight home and went no where else for two weeks.  The mask didn't help you and your perfect covid protocols so must not have helped anyone else and are useless.  Right, then, start the mask bonfire.
Everyone on the trip got it. Started testing positive two days after the trip when the first person tested positive and the rest of us tested regardless of how we felt. We hadn't been together as a group in the previous weeks before the trip. So yes, we are sure it came from the trip. 

I really don't care about the mask mandate or no mandate for Gencon because I am looking at the entire trip for a week. Looks like Gencon is the only place anyone will be wearing masks. 

It is quite silly looking to worry over one area and 4 days of being in that area on a 7-day trip that will include more than just Gencon. 

If it included Indianapolis (Hotels, Restaurants, Concert Venue, Etc.) it would make sense. But it doesn't seem like anything of that sort is going to go on.

So people putting a mask in their pockets until they hit the door to Gencon and taking it off when they exit the door to Gencon is what I am hearing. This is a small Potatoe in the grand scheme of this undertaking. 

Posted by mjlaba48

Mega con in Orlando 100,000 in attendance it’s on the news here and no one is wearing a mask.  FYI.

Posted by cinnibar mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
Mega con in Orlando 100,000 in attendance it’s on the news here and no one is wearing a mask.  FYI.

Let's hope it doesn't become like one of those cruise ships that leave from the nearby ports!

Stay tuned!  Next week!   Same covid-time, same covid-channel!

Posted by jigreene

Actually the cruise ships have been very successful with limiting COVID infections without requiring masks.

Posted by cinnibar

And then there were the epic failures.  Let's hope they beat the odds...

Posted by donaldbain mjlaba48

mjlaba48 wrote:
Meh.  Trying to figure out the cause of a covd outbreak in Florida is like trying to find the cause of a racoon outbreak in a garbage dump.

Posted by kevinrg lehane

lehane wrote:
=inheritSo people putting a mask in their pockets until they hit the door to Gencon and taking it off when they exit the door to Gencon is what I am hearing. This is a small Potatoe in the grand scheme of this undertaking. 

What many were doing in 2021 and what will happen in 2022.

Posted by helenbb kevinrg

post deleted

Posted by donaldbain lehane

lehane wrote:So people putting a mask in their pockets until they hit the door to Gencon and taking it off when they exit the door to Gencon is what I am hearing. This is a small Potatoe in the grand scheme of this undertaking. 
Potatoes aren't wrapped in aluminum foil in the fields.
Potatoes aren't wrapped in aluminum foil in the supermarket.
Potatoes are wrapped in aluminum foil in the oven because that's when they need the protection. 

For most of the trip, people will be surrounded by what, a few hundred people at the worst?  Versus tens of thousands in the ICC.

Posted by sovietprince donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
lehane wrote:So people putting a mask in their pockets until they hit the door to Gencon and taking it off when they exit the door to Gencon is what I am hearing. This is a small Potatoe in the grand scheme of this undertaking. 
Potatoes aren't wrapped in aluminum foil in the fields.
Potatoes aren't wrapped in aluminum foil in the supermarket.
Potatoes are wrapped in aluminum foil in the oven because that's when they need the protection. For most of the trip, people will be surrounded by what, a few hundred people at the worst?  Versus tens of thousands in the ICC.
it's comes the time to let the attendee deside for themeselves

Posted by donaldbain sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:it's comes the time to let the attendee deside for themeselves
If they have no sides what will keep the front and back together?

And why?  What makes this point in the pandemic different from any other point?  How many would have decided at the beginning to forgo masks and why would that have been okay?

Posted by joho

Time to let attendees name their own price, for entry and for merchandise. time to let attendees name the hours and days the show will be live. 

Seriously though, if you’re dropping a dime for Gencon between travel, accommodations, badge and sundry- why not take the precautions even outside the 4 days of gaming (on the flight, in common places around Indy, and in the week or two leading up to Gencon) to avoid an illness that is pretty contagious and could ruin your trip. A decent mask and a simple vaccine regimen and you’re less likely to find yourself too Sick come Friday after a Wednesday exposure. Why risk your own enjoyment ?

and if anyone is thinking of going to the con with symptoms, we’ll that’s morally bankrupt behavior.

Posted by sovietprince donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
sovietprince wrote:it's comes the time to let the attendee deside for themeselves
If they have no sides what will keep the front and back together?And why?  What makes this point in the pandemic different from any other point?  How many would have decided at the beginning to forgo masks and why would that have been okay?
vax, more treatments, less lethatl, death rate going down, plenty of differneces and got to get back to normal at some point

Posted by sovietprince joho

joho wrote:
Time to let attendees name their own price, for entry and for merchandise. time to let attendees name the hours and days the show will be live. 
Seriously though, if you’re dropping a dime for Gencon between travel, accommodations, badge and sundry- why not take the precautions even outside the 4 days of gaming (on the flight, in common places around Indy, and in the week or two leading up to Gencon) to avoid an illness that is pretty contagious and could ruin your trip. A decent mask and a simple vaccine regimen and you’re less likely to find yourself too Sick come Friday after a Wednesday exposure. Why risk your own enjoyment ?
and if anyone is thinking of going to the con with symptoms, we’ll that’s morally bankrupt behavior.

the mask really hurts my experience, I like unrestricted breathing. 

Posted by grognard262 donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
If they have no sides what will keep the front and back together?And why?  What makes this point in the pandemic different from any other point?  How many would have decided at the beginning to forgo masks and why would that have been okay?

The differences are enormous.  We're not allowed to get into the science on this forum, but the case fatality rate of C19 is considerably lower than it was earlier in the pandemic due to improved treatment, antivirals, and widespread immunity from vaccination and previous infection.

Unfortunately, the messaging has been terrible so we are still viewing the facts of 2022 through the lens of fear that was crafted in 2020.

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Who the F cares that the death rate is less when it comes to Gen Con? Is that your only concern, that you could get a permanently disabling illness, but hey, at least I won’t die from it?

It seems like many of the posters here have created a fantasy in their heads that Gen Con was going to drop the mask or vaccine requirements, and are now trying to convince everyone that Gen Con should. From day one, Gen Con’s policy was mask&vax, that was made clear up front, and there was never a promise they would change it. Anyone that got a badge for 2022 bought it with that knowledge. Now, people are whining that the policy should change to fit their desires, and trying to support their arguments with irrelevant nonsense about what happened at Gary Con, or some other con or event.

If GC decides to change the policy before August, great, but if they don’t, or change it after the cancel date, no one here can claim they were misled. Either plan to follow whatever policy is in place at the con, or stay home.

Posted by sovietprince buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Who the F cares that the death rate is less when it comes to Gen Con? Is that your only concern, that you could get a permanently disabling illness, but hey, at least I won’t die from it?
It seems like many of the posters here have created a fantasy in their heads that Gen Con was going to drop the mask or vaccine requirements, and are now trying to convince everyone that Gen Con should. From day one, Gen Con’s policy was mask&vax, that was made clear up front, and there was never a promise they would change it. Anyone that got a badge for 2022 bought it with that knowledge. Now, people are whining that the policy should change to fit their desires, and trying to support their arguments with irrelevant nonsense about what happened at Gary Con, or some other con or event.
If GC decides to change the policy before August, great, but if they don’t, or change it after the cancel date, no one here can claim they were misled. Either plan to follow whatever policy is in place at the con, or stay home.

No one is claiming they were mislead were saying a mandatory rule is not needed, death is all the matters the rest is solved by personal risk I am willing to take if not you mask up it's simple. We got to learn to live with it and with rates going down nows the time to do that. I know you prob think we should wear it for the rest of our lives but that is not gonna happen. 

As for gencon it's pretty obvious we never had a say in the matter nor does the cdc it was always going to be mask and vaccine because thats the stance of the people who run the show wants. It does not matter how much it went down nothing was gonna change.

There stance was do what the cdc says last year but now that cdc recomendations dont match there agenda now the cdc guidlines don't seem to matter anymore top that with the biased survey ( questions had something to the effect of " only bothers you a little bit" but no it does not bother me at all option). So they need to at least stop acting like there be a change beause if the drop in cases and deaths is not enough to ease restrictions nothing will.

I say this as an supporter of gencon i love that it unites us gamers but when i think there is a hole in the boat I have the right to point it out.

Posted by eldrad12000

Always people have to choose for themselves what they are willing, or unwilling to do. Everyone here can argue all they want and throw down any opinions or ideas they want, within reason and the rules.
But at the end of the day you can choose to go or not go right now based off of the current rules. Or willingly wait and risk being upset if the rules change in a manner that is not to your liking. That's your call and has been from day one when they announced their rules.

Attend or don't. But IF you attend be prepared to follow any rules that Gen Con asks you to.

Posted by qwaserity eldrad12000

eldrad12000 wrote:Attend or don't. But IF you attend be prepared to follow any rules that Gen Con asks you to.
THIS! One hundred times this!

GenCon also asks that you don't dress like a member of a hate group, current military or nudist. We accept these as the current norms. Unfortunately, masking is the current normal. Maybe some day we'll go back to nudist... I mean maskless gatherings.

Posted by dpuck1998 qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
eldrad12000 wrote:Attend or don't. But IF you attend be prepared to follow any rules that Gen Con asks you to.
THIS! One hundred times this!GenCon also asks that you don't dress like a member of a hate group, current military or nudist. We accept these as the current norms. Unfortunately, masking is the current normal. Maybe some day we'll go back to nudist... I mean maskless gatherings.
Here is the thing, masks are not the current normal.  You will not see more than a very small handful of masks the moment you step out of the ICC.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
16 17 18 20 22 23 24
16 17 18 20 22 23 24