new health update:
( Locked)
15 16 17 19 21 22 23
15 16 17 19 21 22 23
Posted by cinnibar kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
We can go round' and round' about masks, but I'm still expecting a bulk of cancellations by June from both people hoping restrictions were going to relax and from vendors/people concerned about growing case rates.   Ultimately, that will be what dictates if I come or not, not the masks since I never believed they were going to drop them.
That can't help Gencon financially in that you've now frozen out a subset of people that can't come and have a subset of people that won't come.  What you'll probably be left with is mostly before that were there in 2021 when it was masks/no vax and everyone was ok with that.

Woot!  More downtown rooms!

Posted by kenhankins

I love reading all of these posts. I would like to thank you all for the hours of entertainment.  I am sad that I will not be attending Gen con this year as it would be my 18th time attending. Gen con is supposed to be a place that accepts all. That's their own policy from years past. I am vaccinated, but find this policy unfair as it does not fit their mission that they have prided themselves on. So I am choosing not to go. As should anyone who finds it unfair. If you like the policy then by all means go and have fun. Send me pictures!!! Lol. If you don't like the policy, then stay home. Or go support a con that fits who you are. If Gen cons pockets start to wear thin, I'm sure they will welcome all once more. At the end of the day, their pocket books will determine their future.

Posted by xanathon

I don’t agree with the decision as it does not appear to be based on common sense. 

So masks are required in the convention center. Ok big deal as people are going to congregate in the beer garden area and the food trucks, and the outdoor parties each night where people will be in large groups not practicing social distancing. 

It just doesn’t seem like a well thought out plan in my opinion. 

I think people throwing a temper tantrum about the mask issue are better if staying at home to throw their temper tantrums. None of the rest of us want to see or hear it so thank you in advance. 

I don’t think the mask mandate makes any sense either, but I’m still attending. 

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios grognard262

grognard262 wrote:
It's worth considering why the CDC relaxed their masking recommendations, knowing that wearing them reduces transmission.
The reason is that they want people to mask up when it counts the most -- during times of high transmission and stress to the hospital system.  They also know that people are more willing to mask up during these times if they know the masks can come off at times when things are better.
Going against the CDC recommendation undermines public health in the long run, because it creates the impression that mask policies are arbitrary and not based on science.  This perception makes it less likely that people will mask up when it is really needed.

Actually, that one is pretty simple to figure out

Posted by donaldbain lehane

lehane wrote:I have twice gone to Planet Comicon in Kansas City in the past 9 months. The first one (last August) had a mask mandate and I got covid. The second one (March) did not have a mask mandate and I did not get covid. 

The presence or non-presence of masks didn't amount to any thing. They did not prevent me from catching covid. The Vaccine didn't stop it either cause I am vaccinated and was for both trips. 

You're certain you got it there.  You went straight there and straight home and went no where else for two weeks.  The mask didn't help you and your perfect covid protocols so must not have helped anyone else and are useless.  Right, then, start the mask bonfire.

Posted by roderick oldcurmudgeonstudios

oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
grognard262 wrote:
It's worth considering why the CDC relaxed their masking recommendations, knowing that wearing them reduces transmission.
The reason is that they want people to mask up when it counts the most -- during times of high transmission and stress to the hospital system.  They also know that people are more willing to mask up during these times if they know the masks can come off at times when things are better.
Going against the CDC recommendation undermines public health in the long run, because it creates the impression that mask policies are arbitrary and not based on science.  This perception makes it less likely that people will mask up when it is really needed.

Actually, that one is pretty simple to figure out: We're in an election year for seats in the Senate and House. The party on the left was getting hammered for the mask policies, which would, most likely, lose them seats in both. Dropping the mandate when they did, gives goldfish (I mean the voting public) time to forget who the most draconian mandates were implemented by.

There are places to discusss Politics. 

This is not it. A political debate may get you banned, the thread locked, or other drastic measures. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios roderick

roderick wrote:
oldcurmudgeonstudios wrote:
grognard262 wrote:

Actually, that one is pretty simple to figure out

There are places to discusss Politics. This is not it. A political debate may get you banned, the thread locked, or other drastic measures. 
Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC

Duly noted.

Posted by fethbone kenhankins

kenhankins wrote:
I love reading all of these posts. I would like to thank you all for the hours of entertainment.  I am sad that I will not be attending Gen con this year as it would be my 18th time attending. Gen con is supposed to be a place that accepts all. That's their own policy from years past. I am vaccinated, but find this policy unfair as it does not fit their mission that they have prided themselves on. So I am choosing not to go. As should anyone who finds it unfair. If you like the policy then by all means go and have fun. Send me pictures!!! Lol. If you don't like the policy, then stay home. Or go support a con that fits who you are. If Gen cons pockets start to wear thin, I'm sure they will welcome all once more. At the end of the day, their pocket books will determine their future.
100% agree. Occasionally as a participant and often as a reader, these threads provide me many hours of entertainment and discussion fodder offline. There's a whole wide world out there outside the gencon forum to debate the science and snark about people! So its a shame when people can't resist feeding the trolls and/or doing the one simple thing mike asked and not Debate The Science. So far we have have managed to keep this thread going by the skin of our teeth. 

Maybe it was just the luck of the draw, but i did think people were less friendly and chill last year. Dirty looks from gaming groups set up in public (aka- masking not required) areas of the hotels if you walked by going about your business without a mask or did not maintain silence around them was a downer. People treating me with a skeptical attitude because I evidently don't dress like the typical gencon goer and the nasty comments i heard about the colts fans did make me question how accepting of everyone we really are. 

Posted by quarex

I mean when you just spent four days wearing a mask to keep everyone safe and hundreds of drunken idiots come walking through the convention center without masks, it is kind of hard to be polite

Posted by samlamiam quarex

quarex wrote:I mean when you just spent four days wearing a mask to keep everyone safe and hundreds of drunken idiots come walking through the convention center without masks, it is kind of hard to be polite

Careful, it almost sounds like you think wearing a mask is a chore, instead of a delightful thing you do to improve your Gen Con experience. 

Maybe avoid public spaces if you find it hard to be polite to regular people.

Posted by cinnibar

Regular polite people see a restricted area sign and are polite about recognizing it for the others using the space they are entering.  You know, like those Wear a Hard Hat signs....

These were not those people. :D

Posted by roderick samlamiam

samlamiam wrote:
quarex wrote:I mean when you just spent four days wearing a mask to keep everyone safe and hundreds of drunken idiots come walking through the convention center without masks, it is kind of hard to be polite

Careful, it almost sounds like you think wearing a mask is a chore, instead of a delightful thing you do to improve your Gen Con experience. Maybe avoid public spaces if you find it hard to be polite to regular people.

Please keep it civil.

This is a subject where snark is not advisable. Even if you typed "Maybe avoid public spaces..." in fun, we don't have the normal clues as to your intention. So be careful how you answer people. 

Roderick Robertson
Forum Coordinator 
Gen Con, LLC.

Posted by fethbone cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
Regular polite people see a restricted area sign and are polite about recognizing it for the others using the space they are entering.  You know, like those Wear a Hard Hat signs....
The ICC hallway and walkway to LOS was not a restricted area. People have always been free to come and go in those areas without a badge. I use the walkways and icc thoroughfares to meet my friend at the gym or for breakfast and don't take my badge since i am not doing gencon things at that time. Never been asked to show a badge by an ICC or gencon employee as long as i stay in the public areas.

Comments like equating football game attendees to drunken idiots reinforces my point exactly. 

Also 2021 was the first year i have not been invited friendly-like to join a pick up game of something and the first year i never felt like there was really a good time to ask someone if they wanted to join a game. Got the vibe people wanted to stick to their own groups.

Posted by squirecam fethbone

fethbone wrote:
cinnibar wrote:
The ICC hallway and walkway to LOS was not a restricted area. People have always been free to come and go in those areas without a badge. I use the walkways and icc thoroughfares to meet my friend at the gym or for breakfast and don't take my badge since i am not doing gencon things at that time. Never been asked to show a badge by an ICC or gencon employee as long as i stay in the public areas.Comments like equating football game attendees to drunken idiots reinforces my point exactly. 
Also 2021 was the first year i have not been invited friendly-like to join a pick up game of something and the first year i never felt like there was really a good time to ask someone if they wanted to join a game. Got the vibe people wanted to stick to their own groups.
IIRC the area required masks regardless of whether it was public or not. The ICC required masks not just Gencon. So those people were required to wear one if they wanted to access that space.

Posted by general lopez squirecam

squirecam wrote:
fethbone wrote:
cinnibar wrote:
The ICC hallway and walkway to LOS was not a restricted area. People have always been free to come and go in those areas without a badge. I use the walkways and icc thoroughfares to meet my friend at the gym or for breakfast and don't take my badge since i am not doing gencon things at that time. Never been asked to show a badge by an ICC or gencon employee as long as i stay in the public areas.Comments like equating football game attendees to drunken idiots reinforces my point exactly. 
IIRC the area required masks regardless of whether it was public or not. The ICC required masks not just Gencon. So those people were required to wear one if they wanted to access that space.

Actually I believe the ICC did not require mask that was a GENCON only requirement. Also Indy did not have any mask mandate either, so some people that entered may not have even known there was a mask mandate for the event going on. 

Posted by cinnibar

Makes you wonder how they felt when they finally saw the door signs...

Posted by donaldbain

There were mask required signs on the doors to the ICC.  If that was meant only for GC or all entrants, I dunno. 

Posted by general lopez cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:

Thats a Gencon sign not a ICC sign. If the convention center wanted mask only they would of had them up in their name. With that being said, I was in that hallway when a good potion of the Colts fans came through and the doors were being held open, so some might not have even seen those signs. 

Posted by sovietprince samlamiam

samlamiam wrote:

Careful, it almost sounds like you think wearing a mask is a chore, instead of a delightful thing you do to improve your Gen Con experience. Maybe avoid public spaces if you find it hard to be polite to regular people.
assume sarcasm? Mask are defintly a chore it restricts my air supply when I am already anxious about maneuvering between so many people

Posted by brooks cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:

For what it's worth the Wayback Machine for ICC/LOS on August 11, 2021 lists the convention center's policy as mask/face coverings recommended. I have no idea how far back they instituted that policy in 2021, but by the time Gen Con rolled around in mid-September the mask mandate was definitely a Gen Con requirement, not a convention center requirement. You can't really fault Colt fans for not wearing masks while walking through the public areas of the ICC on their way to the game, particularly given that nowhere else in Indianapolis required masks. 

I was staying at the Westin last year and there was also a large Gen Con sign in the lobby (in the middle of their construction last year) saying that masks were required, but the staff told me the public areas of the hotel were not subject to that for the same reason. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
15 16 17 19 21 22 23
15 16 17 19 21 22 23