new health update:
( Locked)
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
Posted by donaldbain

One thing I feel we missed in the announcement: "For now, get ready for the release of the event catalog in a few short weeks".

How few, how short?

Posted by noone

6 weeks

Posted by donaldbain noone

noone wrote:
6 weeks

That's event registration.  The catalog usually comes out 2 weeks before, which is five weeks from the announcement, which is not a few weeks.  Five weeks is several weeks.  A few weeks is like two.  

Posted by grognard262 hkeaton75

hkeaton75 wrote:I just hope Gen Con makes a final decision before the June 17th refund cut off. It would be the right thing to do. There will be cancellations regardless of which direction they go with the guidelines. 

This is why I think the best policy is just to say that convention will follow whatever CDC recommendations are in place for large, indoor events at the time of the event and leave it at that.  There is no way Gen Con is going to know with certainty nearly two months out.  Attendees need to bear the risk, and if they don't trust the CDC's judgment, then they should probably just wait another year or two.

Posted by traveller grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
hkeaton75 wrote:I just hope Gen Con makes a final decision before the June 17th refund cut off. It would be the right thing to do. There will be cancellations regardless of which direction they go with the guidelines. 

This is why I think the best policy is just to say that convention will follow whatever CDC recommendations are in place for large, indoor events at the time of the event and leave it at that.  There is no way Gen Con is going to know with certainty nearly two months out.  Attendees need to bear the risk, and if they don't trust the CDC's judgment, then they should probably just wait another year or two.

I believe there certain assumptions associated with the CDC recommendations.  One is that they are based on the attendees being from the general location of the event.  Gencon is an international event and as such is an entirely different animal.  With people expected from quite a few countries you would have to consider the event to be a higher risk than if it was just a regional event (the 2 most recent used/going to use masks, I believe).

I hope that the indoor mask option is just that optional, but at best that will only work if a vaccine requirement stays in place (there are number of apps that can help with this CLEAR being leader for a national standard, not sure about International).

Posted by grognard262 traveller

traveller wrote:
I believe there certain assumptions associated with the CDC recommendations.  One is that they are based on the attendees being from the general location of the event.  Gencon is an international event and as such is an entirely different animal.  With people expected from quite a few countries you would have to consider the event to be a higher risk than if it was just a regional event (the 2 most recent used/going to use masks, I believe).

Bear in mind that international visitors must have a negative test to enter the US.  So they would need to both be vaccinated (a CDC recommendation) plus a negative test, which is a higher standard than for domestic attendees.  They have more to fear from us than we do from them.  :)

Posted by bushmaster

Watched a little of the Oscars last night.  A very large crowd.  Don't recall a single mask being worn. And this was in California.

I concede the point that the large number of people were in close proximity only for a few hours so may not a good analogy for Gencon.

Posted by squirecam traveller

traveller wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

I believe there certain assumptions associated with the CDC recommendations.  One is that they are based on the attendees being from the general location of the event.  Gencon is an international event and as such is an entirely different animal.  With people expected from quite a few countries you would have to consider the event to be a higher risk than if it was just a regional event (the 2 most recent used/going to use masks, I believe).I hope that the indoor mask option is just that optional, but at best that will only work if a vaccine requirement stays in place (there are number of apps that can help with this CLEAR being leader for a national standard, not sure about International).
I have used the Clear app and it’s very simple.

Posted by sovietprince

lexington toy con was maskless and it was packed, penguin walking packed :p

Posted by lativius

As a parallel example, sporting events (20-70k inside) over the last year have shown little evidence of significant COVID spreading surges.  Given the wide variety of people coming from all over for these type of events, this should be a good example for GC.

If there's an example of something more tightly packed than the GC dealer room, it's an indoor stadium with 35k strangers sitting arm to arm, maskless, and eating/drinking.

Posted by grognard262

The CDC is saying that 95% of Americans now have antibodies, either through vaccination or infection (or both).

Posted by qwaserity sovietprince

sovietprince wrote:
lexington toy con was maskless and it was packed, penguin walking packed :p
Wouldn't know. I was in the game room 90% of the time where we had 32 tables unmasked but WITH hand sanatizer.

Thank you for your support.

Posted by samlamiam grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
The CDC is saying that 95% of Americans now have antibodies, either through vaccination or infection (or both).

I've got antibodies from infection by the original version of Covid and then from two different vaccines, and I was later exposed to my spouse when she had Omicron.  So at this point, about all that's left for me to do is tour the world and get the Sputnik V, Sinovax, and AstraZeneca vaccines.  After I complete my Vaxx collection, I'll assume my final form (Boostorm), snap my fingers -- and no more Covid.

Posted by forar

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

As an original AZ recipient who was guided to get an mRNA vaccine when they became available here in the Frozen Wastes to the North, who then got Pfizer, it amused me when my booster was Moderna. No superpowers yet, but I'm sure we're near a breakthrough.

I think I'll skip Sputnik and Sinovax though...

Posted by papabees samlamiam

samlamiam wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:

I've got antibodies from infection by the original version of Covid and then from two different vaccines, and I was later exposed to my spouse when she had Omicron.  So at this point, about all that's left for me to do is tour the world and get the Sputnik V, Sinovax, and AstraZeneca vaccines.  After I complete my Vaxx collection, I'll assume my final form (Boostorm), snap my fingers -- and no more Covid.
lol. There's always a completest...

Posted by papabees

A question for Gencon staff I suppose, is there any scenario where the vaccine mandate is dropped or regardless of circumstance whenever you make your "final decision" is that a non-negotiable for ya'll? I'm vaxxed, kid is not and we don't plan to. I wanted to be able to plan accordingly if you guys know that stance is firm.

Thanks,

Posted by mikeboozer papabees

papabees wrote:
A question for Gencon staff I suppose, is there any scenario where the vaccine mandate is dropped or regardless of circumstance whenever you make your "final decision" is that a non-negotiable for ya'll? I'm vaxxed, kid is not and we don't plan to. I wanted to be able to plan accordingly if you guys know that stance is firm.
Thanks,

Nothing is firm at this point. We are still too far out to make any final determinations.

Mike

Posted by squirecam lativius

lativius wrote:
As a parallel example, sporting events (20-70k inside) over the last year have shown little evidence of significant COVID spreading surges.  Given the wide variety of people coming from all over for these type of events, this should be a good example for GC.
If there's an example of something more tightly packed than the GC dealer room, it's an indoor stadium with 35k strangers sitting arm to arm, maskless, and eating/drinking.
The NFL raiders required everyone to be vaccinated in order to attend.

Posted by lemauxjw squirecam

squirecam wrote:
lativius wrote:
The NFL raiders required everyone to be vaccinated in order to attend.
The question, since it's the Raiders, is what do they need to be vaccinated against?  Rabies?  Scurvy? :)

Posted by malfakter

I just attended a 2-day-long, sci-fi themed LARP with just under 400 participants, including some from other countries.  It was complete with actors and enough staff to run the hotel we were all in, so I'd guess at least 100 more staff members.  All of the staff had backstories and never broke character, from the servers to the custodial staff.  We were all inside a building much smaller than the ICC.  It had no windows and you could only leave the building with the assistance of the staff.  This LARP had escape room elements, mini-game video games, r/c racing, computer terminals, card tournaments, dance lessons and all sorts of activities to participate in. All of us shared a dining hall for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with dinner being split into two groups to accommodate the size of the group.  I did this with 28 of my family members, ranging in ages from 2 - 83. 

Nobody wore masks.  Vaccinations were not required.  There was no social distancing.  This company puts this on a couple of times a week, every week.  So far, there has been no reports of any super-spreaders occurring at this event.  None of my family got sick while we were there or after we left.  This event was a blast!  My children and I all felt that it reminded us of pre-Covid Gen Cons.  We really missed the feeling of gaming with others, making new friends and letting our imaginations run wild.  It almost felt magical to see so many smiling faces, shake hands with people and watch the actors and staff hug guests or wrap their arms around people while they took pictures with them.  We really hope that the metrics continue to trend downwards enough that Gen Con will be willing to at least drop the vaccine requirement so we can all experience this again at Gen Con.

I know Mike and the rest of the Gen Con staff are top-notch professionals.  I believe they hope to be able to return to hosting the con the way it was before Covid.  My family and I are just hoping this is the year that they will be able to do it.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 3 5 7 8 9
1 2 3 5 7 8 9