new health update:
( Locked)
2 3 4 6 8 9 10
2 3 4 6 8 9 10
Posted by vulcanspock

"drop the vaccine requirement so we can all experience this again at Gen Con."

All that can happen WITH a vaccine requirement, but ok.

Posted by scswan malfakter

malfakter wrote:
I just attended a 2-day-long, sci-fi themed LARP with just under 400 participants, including some from other countries.  It was complete with actors and enough staff to run the hotel we were all in, so I'd guess at least 100 more staff members.  All of the staff had backstories and never broke character, from the servers to the custodial staff.  We were all inside a building much smaller than the ICC.  It had no windows and you could only leave the building with the assistance of the staff.  This LARP had escape room elements, mini-game video games, r/c racing, computer terminals, card tournaments, dance lessons and all sorts of activities to participate in. All of us shared a dining hall for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with dinner being split into two groups to accommodate the size of the group.  I did this with 28 of my family members, ranging in ages from 2 - 83. 
Nobody wore masks.  Vaccinations were not required.  There was no social distancing.  This company puts this on a couple of times a week, every week.  So far, there has been no reports of any super-spreaders occurring at this event.  None of my family got sick while we were there or after we left.  This event was a blast!  My children and I all felt that it reminded us of pre-Covid Gen Cons.  We really missed the feeling of gaming with others, making new friends and letting our imaginations run wild.  It almost felt magical to see so many smiling faces, shake hands with people and watch the actors and staff hug guests or wrap their arms around people while they took pictures with them.  We really hope that the metrics continue to trend downwards enough that Gen Con will be willing to at least drop the vaccine requirement so we can all experience this again at Gen Con.
I know Mike and the rest of the Gen Con staff are top-notch professionals.  I believe they hope to be able to return to hosting the con the way it was before Covid.  My family and I are just hoping this is the year that they will be able to do it.
As a gamer, how was the Starcruiser? Interested in the opinion of an actual gamer.
Thanks.

Posted by mikeboozer scswan

scswan wrote:
malfakter wrote:
I just attended a 2-day-long, sci-fi themed LARP with just under 400 participants, including some from other countries.  It was complete with actors and enough staff to run the hotel we were all in, so I'd guess at least 100 more staff members.  All of the staff had backstories and never broke character, from the servers to the custodial staff.  We were all inside a building much smaller than the ICC.  It had no windows and you could only leave the building with the assistance of the staff.  This LARP had escape room elements, mini-game video games, r/c racing, computer terminals, card tournaments, dance lessons and all sorts of activities to participate in. All of us shared a dining hall for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with dinner being split into two groups to accommodate the size of the group.  I did this with 28 of my family members, ranging in ages from 2 - 83. 
Nobody wore masks.  Vaccinations were not required.  There was no social distancing.  This company puts this on a couple of times a week, every week.  So far, there has been no reports of any super-spreaders occurring at this event.  None of my family got sick while we were there or after we left.  This event was a blast!  My children and I all felt that it reminded us of pre-Covid Gen Cons.  We really missed the feeling of gaming with others, making new friends and letting our imaginations run wild.  It almost felt magical to see so many smiling faces, shake hands with people and watch the actors and staff hug guests or wrap their arms around people while they took pictures with them.  We really hope that the metrics continue to trend downwards enough that Gen Con will be willing to at least drop the vaccine requirement so we can all experience this again at Gen Con.
I know Mike and the rest of the Gen Con staff are top-notch professionals.  I believe they hope to be able to return to hosting the con the way it was before Covid.  My family and I are just hoping this is the year that they will be able to do it.
As a gamer, how was the Starcruiser? Interested in the opinion of an actual gamer.
Thanks.

Soooo far off topic. Please keep on topic.

Posted by malfakter mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
scswan wrote:
malfakter wrote:
Thanks.

Soooo far off topic. Please keep on topic.
Apologies.  I see a lot of fundamentally similar aspects in that LARP to the LARPs, and even the escape rooms, that are held at Gen Con.  Especially True Dungeon.  I think a lot of people don't see it as a LARP, but it definitely is if you engage in it.  I know one of the crew members that was also part of the writing team.  It was designed to be a LARP first, then incorporate other aspects to appeal to non-LARPers.

I see the relevance.  I understand if you do not, though.

Posted by traveller

I believe Mike's point is that it is not related to the topic of the Health update.

Also, scale matters.  Gencon is 10s+ of times larger (depending on the con/event).  While we are not seeing the rapid growth of covid cases (like omicron or pre-vaccine) positivity cases are going up.  Where I am, positive cases have started trending up, fortunately hospitalizations and deaths are staying relatively flat.  While that is not terrible news (like "A new movie starring Dane Cook") it is not good news (like "a new movie starring Rob Schneider")

I hope they keep the vaccine requirement as it is a proven method to get us out of the pandemic.  As for the masks, if we can get the positivity rate down to a low number and deaths even lower we can hope they remove that.

Posted by donaldbain malfakter

malfakter wrote:
I just attended a 2-day-long, sci-fi themed LARP with just under 400 participants, including some from other countries.

Vaccinations were not required.

So far, there has been no reports of any super-spreaders occurring at this event. 

A much much much much smaller event.

So no idea the percent that were vaccinated.

So far.  Do they even track it?  Would they tell you of they did? Their business model seems like it would do better the less they said about covid.  Is that enough people for even a minor spreader event?

What happens a x event or what is done at y event really has no bearing on Gen Con.  It's comparing apples to mathematics.

Posted by traveller

Adepticon just finished, vaccine or negative test required, no masks.

Cousin was fully vaccinated and boosted, will be spending the next 5 days in quarantine after testing positive.  Looking, Illinois is considered low risk according to CDC.  This is with an estimated 6k-7k attendees.  

I want to get back to normal gaming, but right now, this is still a very real thing.  I support the vaccine requirement and for now even the mask requirement.  As for those who still haven't got the shot, stay home you are a walking bio-hazard.

Posted by raptorov

Yep, mask required.

Posted by general lopez traveller

traveller wrote:
Cousin was fully vaccinated and boosted, will be spending the next 5 days in quarantine after testing positive.  Looking, Illinois is considered low risk according to CDC.  This is with an estimated 6k-7k attendees.  
I want to get back to normal gaming, but right now, this is still a very real thing.  I support the vaccine requirement and for now even the mask requirement.  As for those who still haven't got the shot, stay home you are a walking bio-hazard.

How do you know they got it from an unvaccinated person? Vaccinated people can spread the virus too. Look at the recent cruise ship in San Francisco that just had an outbreak when everyone aboard was vaccinated.   

Posted by matthias9

I hear people saying Gen Con should do CDC guidelines, but then often those same people recommend things that aren't in line with those very guidelines.  This seems strange to me.

To be clear:

1) CDC guidelines recommend vaccines.

2) CDC guidelines are to wear masks indoors in public in areas where community transmission rates are high, (this is almost nowhere in the whole US right now).  In Indiana, as of today, there isn't a single county above low, much less one above medium.

In short, if you are really for following the guidelines, you should be for vaccines but against mandatory masks.  Anything else is superimposing your biases and perceptions over the actual recommendations and latest data.

In my opinion, too many people decide the answer with their gut reaction, when we should really be basing the answer on quantifiable metrics.  

Of course, we're still 4 months away.  But, we're in about as good a situation as we could hope to be at the 4 month mark.

Posted by quarex

New health update: I am feeling pretty good these days; definitely think cutting back on sugar and making sure I have at least one salad a day was a good idea!

I know everyone loves discussing this topic, but I have the feeling nothing that happens until July is going to be truly indicative of the final outcome.

Posted by sovietprince traveller

traveller wrote:

the vacs did it's job it kept him out of the hosp. this virus will be like this forever so got to get back to normay somehow as long as hospital visits don't increase

Posted by bushmaster quarex

[This post has been removed]

Posted by mikeboozer

Above post deleted...repetitive and does not add anything new to the conversation.

Mike

Posted by bushmaster mikeboozer

Nothing to see here, move along.

Posted by bushmaster

Mike,

Can you give any insight if the "final" update will be given before the June 17th deadline to get a refund on badges?  That I my biggest concern and I don't see that as an unreasonable question.

Thank you in advance.

Posted by mikeboozer bushmaster

bushmaster wrote:
Mike,
Can you give any insight if the "final" update will be given before the June 17th deadline to get a refund on badges?  That I my biggest concern and I don't see that as an unreasonable question.
Thank you in advance.

As has been said before we will let you know when we know. We do not have an answer for that right now. 

Mike

Posted by lehane

As an aside to everyone here, Planet Comicon Kansas City, in just over three weeks has dropped the Mask Mandate since the city does not currently have one. 

FAQ • Planet Comicon Kansas City

Everybody should be able to watch the Covid results regarding a large size convention that currently looks to be mask optional at this moment. 

I am not posting this as a means of saying what Gencon should or should not do, but merely as an opportunity for people to see how things are going regarding a convention of large size and how covid and such shake out from it. 

For the record I will be there barring any last minute issues. 

I also went to the one last August that did have a mask mandate and IMHO opinion it went fine. Masks were worn aside from drinking/eating and Photo Ops (which had a Plexiglas shield). 

Posted by grognard262 matthias9

matthias9 wrote:
In short, if you are really for following the guidelines, you should be for vaccines but against mandatory masks.  Anything else is superimposing your biases and perceptions over the actual recommendations and latest data

I'm fine with that.  I'm vaxxed, boosted, and don't want to unnecessarily wear a mask.  CDC guidelines are what makes the most sense to me as a policy.

Posted by picosaurus

I'll be travelling to GenCon from the UK, will I be able to use my NHS app or a print-out to prove my vaccination status?

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
2 3 4 6 8 9 10
2 3 4 6 8 9 10