new health update:
( Locked)
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
Posted by malfakter donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
malfakter wrote:Well, there wasn't one last year and we are in a much better place now than we were last year.
Because more people got vaccinated.
Sure, and a large percentage also got natural immunity.  It seems like every vaccinated person I know got Omicron in January, myself included.  So did quite a few unvaccinated people that I know.  I don't know any that ended up in the hospital due to Omicron.  A large percentage of those vaccinated haven't been boosted, and according to the information out there, likely have had their initial two doses wane since then.  There are several reasons why we are in a much better place now than we were then.  Vaccination is part of it, but so is natural immunity, Omicron not causing as severe symptoms (I wouldn't have known I had it had I not taken a test) and other things.

Point to whatever you want to as the cause or causes of why we are in a much better place now.  I'm just glad we are, and hopeful that those that aren't vaccinated, for whatever reason, will be allowed to attend the con again.  That's all I'm saying.

Posted by eldrad12000

No reason to debate. We are all in the same boat. We will all eventually get answers and I am sure there will be unhappy people no matter what the choice made is. But debating things here is useless.

Posted by samlamiam eldrad12000

eldrad12000 wrote:
No reason to debate. We are all in the same boat. We will all eventually get answers and I am sure there will be unhappy people no matter what the choice made is. But debating things here is useless.

It seems odd to jump into a conversation to tell people to stop talking.  It's healthy to allow people to civilly discuss a topic that matters to them.  It's what people do in a forum.

Posted by mikeboozer malfakter

malfakter wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
malfakter wrote:Well, there wasn't one last year and we are in a much better place now than we were last year.
Because more people got vaccinated.
Sure, and a large percentage also got natural immunity.  It seems like every vaccinated person I know got Omicron in January, myself included.  So did quite a few unvaccinated people that I know.  I don't know any that ended up in the hospital due to Omicron.  A large percentage of those vaccinated haven't been boosted, and according to the information out there, likely have had their initial two doses wane since then.  There are several reasons why we are in a much better place now than we were then.  Vaccination is part of it, but so is natural immunity, Omicron not causing as severe symptoms (I wouldn't have known I had it had I not taken a test) and other things.Point to whatever you want to as the cause or causes of why we are in a much better place now.  I'm just glad we are, and hopeful that those that aren't vaccinated, for whatever reason, will be allowed to attend the con again.  That's all I'm saying.

This is debating the science. We are not doing that here as has been previously stated many times.

Mike

Posted by mikeboozer samlamiam

samlamiam wrote:
eldrad12000 wrote:

It seems odd to jump into a conversation to tell people to stop talking.  It's healthy to allow people to civilly discuss a topic that matters to them.  It's what people do in a forum.

It has proven to being not healthy, as it has consistently devolved into people shouting at each other as to who is right and who is wrong. 

We are not debating or discussing the science here as has been stated previously.

Mike

Posted by weirdpinkpill malfakter

Not doing this. Last warning.

Mike

Posted by lehane

Sigh! Even the event catalogue hasn't stopped this...

Posted by quarex

New CDC guidance says the event catalogue should be safe to read in small doses.

Posted by ungmar9567

I understand it's their thing, their rules. But I would like to have the option of not wearing a mask if I have been vaccinated (which is what most stores and restaurants around here already have in place).

I would also like to make sure I am good with my one-shot J&J vax or if they will ask for a booster.

Posted by nesbit37

I'm posting this as awareness, not to try and drum up donations.  Just a reminder that covid is still very real and very dangerous.  

TLDR: An enforcer got covid at PAX and died

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-loving-memory-of-dawn-deestar-wood?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Posted by mikeboozer ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:
I understand it's their thing, their rules. But I would like to have the option of not wearing a mask if I have been vaccinated (which is what most stores and restaurants around here already have in place).
I would also like to make sure I am good with my one-shot J&J vax or if they will ask for a booster.

We will announce all of these when we have made final decisions on them.

Mike

Posted by lore seeker nesbit37

nesbit37 wrote:
I'm posting this as awareness, not to try and drum up donations.  Just a reminder that covid is still very real and very dangerous.  
https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-loving-memory-of-dawn-deestar-wood?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Hadn't heard about PAX East, but doing some research it appears there was a similar outbreak at GDC a month earlier in San Francisco.

That link makes me wonder about a couple of things:

1. What her vaccination status was (if she was boosted) and whether or not she was immunocompromised.
2. If the outbreak's point of origin might have been a non-convention person. From what I read, PAX East required both vaccination and masking, which is more than what the state of Massachusetts requires.

Posted by palarran

There was already known exposure at PAX East:
https://www.fanbyte.com/news/pax-east-2022-covid-exposure-positive-tests/
It may not be possible to determine with certainty the origin of any particular case, but this certainly seems like the most likely explanation.

Posted by squirecam lore seeker

father bloodlust wrote:
nesbit37 wrote:

Hadn't heard about PAX East, but doing some research it appears there was a similar outbreak at GDC a month earlier in San Francisco.That link makes me wonder about a couple of things:
1. What her vaccination status was (if she was boosted) and whether or not she was immunocompromised.
2. If the outbreak's point of origin might have been a non-convention person. From what I read, PAX East required both vaccination and masking, which is more than what the state of Massachusetts requires.
Yeah Pax did the best they could. You cant stop every potential exposure but they did have the safety of guests in the forefront. 

It seems like the vendor should get props for their efforts in testing and getting the word out as well. 

Posted by lore seeker palarran

palarran wrote:
There was already known exposure at PAX East:
https://www.fanbyte.com/news/pax-east-2022-covid-exposure-positive-tests/
It may not be possible to determine with certainty the origin of any particular case, but this certainly seems like the most likely explanation.

I mean I wonder if a local Bostonian might have been the exposure that infected the first congoer, if the convention had more stringent regulations than the rest of the state.

Posted by mps

SD Comic-con just announced their plans, which include proof of vac or a negative test 72 hours prior to attendance.  Can we expect to see a final plan for GC soon?

Posted by donaldbain mps

msteffek wrote:
SD Comic-con just announced their plans, which include proof of vac or a negative test 72 hours prior to attendance.  Can we expect to see a final plan for GC soon?

Full plans include face coverings as well:

"COVID-19 Health and Safety
Everyone attending Comic-Con will be required to wear an approved face covering regardless of vaccination status. In addition to wearing an approved face covering, you will be required to provide verification of full COVID-19 vaccination status or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours. Click here for more information. San Diego Comic Convention (SDCC) reserves the right to modify requirements or limits for attending or participating in activities."

https://comic-con.org/cci/covid-19-faq

Posted by buffythecatslayer

In past years, the outer area of the ICC has been open to anyone who wandered in off the street.  Only the exhibit hall has had people to check badges on entry.  Will Gen Con be able to secure the entire ICC this year?  If not, everyone in the outer areas, including all the people in the gaming rooms, waiting for will-call & other services, playing Cardhalla, etc., could be exposed to non-vaccinated people.

Posted by cinnibar buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
In past years, the outer area of the ICC has been open to anyone who wandered in off the street.  Only the exhibit hall has had people to check badges on entry.  Will Gen Con be able to secure the entire ICC this year?  If not, everyone in the outer areas, including all the people in the gaming rooms, waiting for will-call & other services, playing Cardhalla, etc., could be exposed to non-vaccinated people.

Little point with the food truck, hotels, taxi service all outside the ICC.  There will be 'outsiders'.

Those hallways effectively become the DMZ/airlock from the outside world.

Posted by eldrad12000 buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
No, I highly doubt this can be done. People from the football game were all over the ICC. They could not enter rooms for GenCon events, but could enter the ICC and wander the hallways all they wanted. So it will most likely be the same this year.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
5 6 7 9 11 12 13