Underworld Expansion announcement!
2
2
Posted by ungmar9567 jimdigris

jimdigris wrote:
I thought that they were talking about the "catacombs" under Indianapolis.
Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
 

Posted by ungmar9567 mikeboozer

jimdigris wrote:
I thought that they were talking about the "catacombs" under Indianapolis.
mikeboozer wrote:
kertdawg wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
zmcgee wrote:
Disappointment in my house now. Thought there was an actual new attraction/gaming area.

So you thought that we found an "underground portal to the netherworld located deep beneath the Indiana Convention Center."? ;)
​​​​​​Seriously, though: shirts. We need the shirts in real life. 

It appears so...
Shirts AND hats! Don't forget. Put me down for one of the "I survived" shirts and one of the lightning hats.

Posted by ungmar9567

Gen Con Underground shirts and hats!

In addition to the shirts and hats that say 55.

Shut up and take my money!

Posted by quarex ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:
jimdigris wrote:
I thought that they were talking about the "catacombs" under Indianapolis.
Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
 
Good question.  I played in a 5th Edition D&D game down there last year, but that was part of a (fairly expensive) game ticket; I wondered if there was a fee for access to the catacombs and that was part of the cost?  I am sure someone local knows the answer to the catacombs' availability.

Posted by father bloodlust quarex

quarex wrote:
ungmar9567 wrote:
jimdigris wrote:
I thought that they were talking about the "catacombs" under Indianapolis.
Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
Good question.  I played in a 5th Edition D&D game down there last year, but that was part of a (fairly expensive) game ticket; I wondered if there was a fee for access to the catacombs and that was part of the cost?  I am sure someone local knows the answer to the catacombs' availability.

How was that, by the way? It sounds like a cool idea, but the ticket price was way too expensive for me (though I understand why it had to be).

Posted by donaldbain ungmar9567

ungmar9567 wrote:Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
 
I'm almost certain I've seen catacomb tours in the event catalog. 

Posted by brooks donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
ungmar9567 wrote:Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
I'm almost certain I've seen catacomb tours in the event catalog. 

I went on that tour and want to say it was the Market Catacombs Tour or something similar. It was a walking tour of downtown buildings/monuments that culminated in the catacombs. However, that was back somewhere around 2013 or 2014.

Posted by qwaserity

If I wanted fake news, I just watch TV.

That being "said", I was expecting somethign along the lines of RPGtravel having some type of gaming event in the Catacombs.

Posted by jimdigris brooks

brooks wrote:
donaldbain wrote:
ungmar9567 wrote:Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
I'm almost certain I've seen catacomb tours in the event catalog. 

I went on that tour and want to say it was the Market Catacombs Tour or something similar. It was a walking tour of downtown buildings/monuments that culminated in the catacombs. However, that was back somewhere around 2013 or 2014.
I'm pretty sure that they had them as recently as 2019.

Posted by quarex father bloodlust

father bloodlust wrote:
quarex wrote:
ungmar9567 wrote:
jimdigris wrote:I thought that they were talking about the "catacombs" under Indianapolis.
Is that something we can walk through? I would love to do that one night.
Good question.  I played in a 5th Edition D&D game down there last year, but that was part of a (fairly expensive) game ticket; I wondered if there was a fee for access to the catacombs and that was part of the cost?  I am sure someone local knows the answer to the catacombs' availability.

How was that, by the way? It sounds like a cool idea, but the ticket price was way too expensive for me (though I understand why it had to be).
I was expecting it to just be a gimmick--and it was a gimmick, just a good one--but as the first time I have played 5th Edition (outside of video games anyway) it was actually a lot of fun, and a great introduction to the system.  The scenario was interesting; the atmosphere was absolutely great, particularly with the faux candlelight; our gamemaster totally ran with everything our group came up with, which is almost always a great thing; indeed, the random decision my group made to play characters who escaped from a circus even ended up being rewarded when part of the scenario was literally "see if you can impress these ghostly acrobats and jugglers!"  It was so much fun I immediately tried to go recreate my character in one of the aforementioned video games, which is high praise.

The high price for tickets was, well, high, but it also came with two free meal coupons for the food court above the game, and I definitely took home the most swag in my Gen-Con gaming history from that game: a hardback? campaign book, a dice tray, whatever miniature I was using, a dice set, a collectable pin, and some coupons too.  RPGTravel definitely does their part to justify the high prices, though of course whether it is worth it for any specific person is another question.  My insane friend who has not seriously attended Gen-Con in like 15+ years bought my ticket without me even being able to talk him out of it, so I did not have to weigh those factors for myself, haha.

Posted by mikeboozer qwaserity

qwaserity wrote:
If I wanted fake news, I just watch TV.
That being "said", I was expecting somethign along the lines of RPGtravel having some type of gaming event in the Catacombs.

Then you may want to ignore the press release for April 1st 2023! ;)

As an April fools joke it was a rousing success based on the majority of our feedback, so I will endorse it for next year for sure!

It may have even spawned some swag. 

Mike

Posted by helenbb

Back when Thinkgeek was still around (not the watered-down version at Gamestop) they would put out fake items for April Fools each year. You could click on an 'order' or 'notify' button. The product that got the most clicks was actually produced for sale. My favorite was the tauntaun sleeping bag.

Posted by father bloodlust helenbb

helenbb wrote:
My favorite was the tauntaun sleeping bag.

That sounds like absolute genius.

As long as they don't try to replicate the smell too...

Posted by helenbb

The smell happens if it gets used a lot and not washed....

https://odditymall.com/star-wars-tauntaun-sleeping-bag

Posted by mrshiny ryric

ryric wrote:
Milwaukee had the Labyrinth and Deep Labyrinth gaming areas. Before I read too far and realized what today was I thought maybe there was a hitherto unused basement to the ICC.
IIRC the spaces in Milwaukee were former fallout shelters 

Posted by mrshiny

Ok the shirt is (barely) different than the general one in that it does say “VIG” (which I didn’t notice at first).  Actually I missed the whole April Fools thing and think it would have been funnier if it were more plausible. 

A future request though: no more black t-shirts please. 

New Post Sign in to write a new post.
2
2