Playtest Hall?
Posted by bmhgames15

Are submissions for the 1st Exposure Playtest Hall handled with the same form as any other event submission?  Or does that registration open at a later date?  I can't find "playtest" under event type.  Any help for someone doing this for the first time would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by derekguder

Applications for the First Exposure Playtest Hall are handled entirely separately from event submission. The form is for normal, ticketed events, basically.

FEPH registration will open soon.

Thanks,

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by bmhgames15

Okay, thanks!  I'll keep my eye out for that!

Posted by bmhgames15

Okay, thanks!  I'll keep my eye out for that!

Posted by taelasky

Any updates as to when this will open for registration?  Will the process be the same as last year?

Thanks

Posted by derekguder

We're working on it. And the process will be the same as last year, yes.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by taelasky

Thanks.

Posted by -m1-

Any updates on when the Playtest Hall will open for registration?  I am going out of town and want to set a reminder so I don't miss it.

Thanks!

Posted by derekguder

It's live now. Go ahead and submit, though I likely won't have a chance to go through applications until next week, just FYI.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by morningfiregames

I am a first time game designer and a first time Gen-Con attendee. I am not affiliated with any company, my prototype will be completely self made and most likely use bits from previously published games. I have two questions. First, is space still available? (I have not yet submitted my application), and secondly, based on the description I wrote above, am I the right fit for this? The prototypes I saw in the images for first exposure seem very polished and mine isn't. Thanks. 

Posted by derekguder

1. Yes, space is still available. Submit an application.
  2. If you have a game in development that you want feedback on, you fit in the room. Doesn't matter whether you are a professional or not or whether you have a company or not. Unpublished game + desire for feedback + workable prototype == A-OK for the room.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by zacharyscott1987

Are developers allowed to playtest a game anywhere outside the hall? We are planning on submitting an application, but if space is no longer available I wanted to see whether we'd get kicked out if we set up elsewhere.

Posted by derekguder

Space is still available, and you are not allowed to simply set up anywhere. The FEPH has an application process, but for the rest of the convention you need to either submit an event or talk to the local event HQ to confirm what tables might be available when you have your players ready to go.

There is no restriction on games still in development needing to be in the FEPH - plenty of people run playtest or preview events as normal ticketed events, so you can do FEPH and/or general events, depending on your staff and priorities.

But you can't just "set up" anywhere - you need to coordinate with us to make sure that you either have personally scheduled tables arranged ahead of time (submitting an event) or talk to the local HQ when you have your players and are ready to start to make sure we can put you on some tables that won't interfere with a scheduled game.

-
Derek Guder
Event Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by zacharyscott1987

Thanks Derek, I figured that was the case, but I wanted to be certain. I thought there was an open playing area where attendees can play games for fun, and we could bring our prototype and play 3-4 games (no frills, marketing materials, signage or invasive presence). The idea was that we'd have no more of a presence than 4 attendees playing a game for fun, and it would be alright.

However, I understand if we need to go through the proper channels in order to bring our prototype in. I'll go ahead and submit an application.

Posted by armadilloal

There is no dedicated "open playing area" - the games library is ticketed, and all of the tables in the board game halls have events scheduled for at least some part of the convention.

Posted by braewe

I will add that it is EASY to just submit an event. And they are still placing them, so while you wouldn't get into the program guide, you could still schedule events, collect tickets, turn in tickets, just like any other event. So if you don't get into the playtest hall, you could still run events.

And while you can't advertise your event without gen con approval and such, you could very easily do this: schedule an event for 2pm and 8pm. While at lunch in the <insert favorite non convention center food location> you find folks wearing badges and strike up conversations and discover whether they might be interested, for the cost of a generic, in participating in said scheduled event. You hold the event, collect the generics, request feedback from the players, and both sides go on their merry way, all within gen con rules.

Just, you can't shanghai what looks like an empty table and put your shingle out. ;)

New Post Sign in to write a new post.