Ghosting
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by roganca

Ghosts are the new thing we freak out about as a community, everyone.

Please update your files.

Posted by glory

Ghosting. Lobby Conning.

The Facebook Indy group is ALIVE with the thought of ghosts. 

I wonder if Gen Con has any way of tracking non-badged folks in the ICC. Probably not. But I do wonder if it's historically been a problem. 

Posted by gharris

Well too many people at Gen Con has been a problem for a couple of years now.

Having to cap badge sales due to overpopulation, then having a mess of people that aren't supposed to be there show up anyways just makes the problem worse.

Any population bloat at Gen Con is a problem.

Posted by trace_sl

My problem with ghost, they never stay in the public areas.  I mean, how much can they see and do in them, the next thing you know they are in areas where they should not be. 

Posted by garhkal

Never heard of this term before..  Are you on about non - bag holders, slipping in places Behind someone with a badge?

Posted by ytuni garhkal

garhkal wrote:
Never heard of this term before..  Are you on about non - bag holders, slipping in places Behind someone with a badge?
From what I've gathered on the Gen Con Indy facebook page, it's when non-badge holders go to the con anyways. These people are 'saying' that they'd only be in public areas trying to get pick-up games and just enjoying the experience. There are many issues with this, one being them trying to get into areas they shouldn't. It'll also make the 'public areas' even more crowded and a nightmare to get through. If this becomes a common occurrence Gen Con will have to step up security, which will make getting around a nightmare....just not good all in all.

Posted by rhone1

I have never seen anyone without a badge at Gen Con.  Not sure this is a big "thing."

Posted by varelseshrike

I have seen people with other day badges in events on different days. A couple times, the event hall captain has come in and checked badges and had them removed. I have seen this at Union Station and at Crown Plaza. They were playing in Gen Con events with generics but their badge was a Thursday or some such and it was Saturday. I assume this will be a bigger issue this year. Since there are no 4 Day Badges, I bet a lot of people with single day will try to use them for every day. 

I don't know if the ICC can even watch for wrong color badges with the amount of people in and out. 

Posted by austicke

I've seen security remove someone from the open ICC hallways for not having a badge....

Posted by jevertt

Remember the good old days when we only needed to complaining about the hotels?

Posted by nialith austicke

austicke wrote:
I've seen security remove someone from the open ICC hallways for not having a badge....
ICC security or Gen Con people? As mentioned a million times, you don't have to have a badge to enter the ICC hallways so if someone was being removed, there was probably an issue aside from not having a badge. Remember all the Colts fans walking through when the pre-season game was the same weekend? 

Posted by mhayward1978 nialith

nialith wrote:
austicke wrote:
ICC security or Gen Con people? As mentioned a million times, you don't have to have a badge to enter the ICC hallways so if someone was being removed, there was probably an issue aside from not having a badge. Remember all the Colts fans walking through when the pre-season game was the same weekend? 

Yeah - I mean - badge pickup and registration is in the open areas of the ICC.  Not really practical to require a badge there :).

Posted by trace_sl

How many people ghost, 100, 500, 1000, more?  Last year saw a number of non-badge holders, even saw a couple removed from the dealer room.   Now, this is something being discussed, makes me wonder if it is a trend or just some internet troll. 

I find, I do not trust non-badge holders.     

Posted by octaviancmb

I ain't fraid o' no ghosts.

Posted by coconutjones317

Last year a lot of people were convinced Pokemon Go was going to ruin the convention.  That turned out just fine.

Posted by divachelle octaviancmb

octaviancmb wrote:
I ain't fraid o' no ghosts.
#winning

Posted by indytechguy

Would't be easier for these "Ghosts" to just make counterfeit badges? Or do they some how think by sneaking into "restricted" con areas without a (fake) badge they will be in less trouble? I am by no means promoting theft, I'm just asking if ghosting is done because they think they can claim they wandered in an area by "mistake".

Gen Con is the only large con I go to and I just learned of ghosting when it was brought up on the FB page this past week. I can't see ghosting at Gen Con would be worth anyone's time or money (to get to the con location). As a GM, I believe I am not allowed to let people sit in a chair at my tables if they do not have a badge. I mean, they are not giving me a ticket to play, they just want to sit and watch. They have to have a badge to do this. 

I don't envy the volunteers and Gen Con staff having to police this. My perception is there seem to be many who don't find this ghosting thing to be a problem. I think the rules in place for Gen Con are adequate already. I just want to run games, not scrutinize every badge that comes to my tables. 

Posted by austicke nialith

nialith wrote:
austicke wrote:I've seen security remove someone from the open ICC hallways for not having a badge....

ICC security or Gen Con people? 

The ones in the yellow shirts. Which ones are they? ICC?
As mentioned a million times, you don't have to have a badge to enter the ICC hallways so if someone was being removed, there was probably an issue aside from not having a badge.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Gen Con requires badges for anyone to be within their venues. That includes the ICC hallways and even the hotel areas they rent.

​They'll let you walk through to registration, but it's not allowed otherwise.

Now, do lots of people break that rules? Sure. It's only been loosely enforced, but it'll be interesting to see if enforcement picks up this year.

Posted by bigfathairyguy

For years I have seen cosplay people with no badges in the hallways. It wasn't as bad last year as they moved and more formalized cosplay. But before then it seemed like 75% of the cosplay people didn't purchase a badge. I have never seen them enforce having a badge hardly any place but the dealer hall. You can walk through most other areas without a badge no problem.

Posted by roganca bigfathairyguy

franknbeans wrote:
For years I have seen cosplay people with no badges in the hallways.
I figure it's a safe guess most of those cosplayers weren't wearing their badges because it would look pretty lame over their costumes.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5