Shootings in Downtown Indy
Posted by hahnarama

There have were 3 shootings in 4 weekends during the month of May, the last one being 2 Circuit Court Judges being gunned down outside of White Castle in downtown.But from local news reports the Judges might have started the fight that led to the shooting. One of the other shootings was a drive by scenario where 10 people were injured., a few by bullets the rest from diving for cover  

Last night another shooting just south of The Circle outside the Slippery Noodle. One killed multiple injured. This is just one block south of the Circle.

My intent is not to scare anyone just to say Indy's downtown has gone from a place you could feel somewhat safe walking back to your hotel at 3 AM to a shooting gallery.

Posted by cerealkiller195

they will beef up security to protect their money from conventions and what not. Maybe living in an urban area in nj/nyc always has me paying attention when a situation may arise just stay alert especially when drinking. 

Posted by jelake

Yeah, that happened a couple blocks from where I normally park.  Aside from how weird it sounds that 2 circuit judges are bar-hopping at 3:30am in the morning, on Friday and Saturday nights, the bars there are packed and there have been tons of cops walking around on my path back to my car.

Posted by hahnarama cerealkiller195

cerealkiller195 wrote:
they will beef up security to protect their money from conventions and what not.....stay alert especially when drinking. 

They already have been beefing up security every Friday & Saturday.. but that as they say "You can't fix stupid"

Hey if two A-holes who should be settling stuff with their fists decide to pull guns on each other well fine.. but it tends to be the innocent guy or gal walking down the street that ends of getting hurt. 

Posted by hahnarama jelake

jelake wrote:
 Aside from how weird it sounds that 2 circuit judges are bar-hopping at 3:30am

Actually it was 3 Judges and a Clerk. The best part of the story was they were trying to go to The Red Garter, because it was amateur night, and they were going to let Judge #3 enter  the contest because well the 3 others in the group thought she was hot. Unfortunately the Red Garter closed at 1:30 AM. So what do you do?...GO TO WHITE CASTLE! LOL

Posted by smarty_213

Crazy!

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2019/05/15/judges-shot-indianapolis-indiana-supreme-court-identifies-witnesses-sabrina-bell-william-dawkins/3687116002/

Posted by indyfoodguy

Indianapolis is by far the safest place I’ve lived. There is zero reason for concern. I’m not one to defend this town much, but to call Indy a “shooting gallery” over three shootings is insane. We live in a country full of gun addicts. This is the norm. You’re safe.

Posted by cmegus indyfoodguy

indyfoodguy wrote:
Indianapolis is by far the safest place I’ve lived.

Agreed. Per person statistics easily back this up. Been to many downtowns in many cities and Indy is way up on the safe list.

And the reporting for stories like this is more for drama than anything else. If you read into the story posted above, it was not going to end well at 3am with a bunch of drunk guys in a parking lot, even if the weapons of choice were knives, broken bottles, brass knuckles or even a swift kick to the groin instead... but those things don’t sell news and newspapers like a shooting would...

Just saying, this is not Chicago, I assure you.

G

Posted by sgtquik

Wow... I live in Canada, 3 shooting in a month in the same city is considered to be a shooting gallery ! I think I will bring an bullet proof vest ;-)

Nonetheless, I'm excited to be there ! 

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Stuff happens.  If you're afraid to go to Indy because someone was shot there a few months back (which it will be by the time Gen Con rolls around), then you might as well stay at home under a blanket.

Posted by mbeauparland buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
Stuff happens.  If you're afraid to go to Indy because someone was shot there a few months back (which it will be by the time Gen Con rolls around), then you might as well stay at home under a blanket.

"The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing." -Herger the Joyous (13th Warrior)

;-)

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Much better than how I said it.  Helps to have a Hollywood screenwriter.

Posted by ascantla

There is always safety in numbers. There are steps one should always take when in any major city area.
Late nights are always more dangerous.
Stay away from deserted areas.
Travel with friends whenever possible.
Don't present yourself as having lots of money or valuables.
Don't keep all your money in one place.

Posted by nascragman cmegus

cmegus wrote:
indyfoodguy wrote:
Indianapolis is by far the safest place I’ve lived.

Agreed. Per person statistics easily back this up. Been to many downtowns in many cities and Indy is way up on the safe list.And the reporting for stories like this is more for drama than anything else. If you read into the story posted above, it was not going to end well at 3am with a bunch of drunk guys in a parking lot, even if the weapons of choice were knives, broken bottles, brass knuckles or even a swift kick to the groin instead... but those things don’t sell news and newspapers like a shooting would...
Just saying, this is not Chicago, I assure you.
G

I think perhaps you might be surprised - on a per capita basis Indianapolis has the 28th highest murder rate in the US.  Chicago ranks 25th.  Not much to pin your civic pride on there.

In both cases though, a little common sense is all that is required to stay safe.  Don't walk by yourself late at night, avoid sketchy neighborhoods, etc.

Posted by bigtimeadl

When I read some of the GenCon rules it said no weapons, which makes sense. It further went on to say their projecting police officers would not be allowed to have their firearms. Hope that is a joke, I don’t know a single cop who would work an event without a firearm, not to mention, there should be armed security.

Posted by mbeauparland bigtimeadl

bigtimeadl wrote:
When I read some of the GenCon rules it said no weapons, which makes sense. It further went on to say their projecting police officers would not be allowed to have their firearms. Hope that is a joke, I don’t know a single cop who would work an event without a firearm, not to mention, there should be armed security.

I could be wrong, but I think the policy is that "off duty" police, security, and military, are not allowed to bring weapons to Gen Con.

As to the con's "No Weapons" policy, I won't go so far as to suggest Gen Con should allow weapons but I have little faith that someone who really wants to come shoot the joint up is going to be deterred because a policy says they can't bring a weapon on premises....

Posted by brooks bigtimeadl

bigtimeadl wrote:

Seriously during the convention the downtown area is flooded with uniformed law enforcement from a huge variety of law enforcement agencies. I would also be amazed if there were not a significant number of plain clothed law enforcement officers also flooding the area. 

I cannot remember a report of a single Gen Con attendee having been a victim of random unprovoked violence in Indianapolis during the convention. 

Posted by matthias9 bigtimeadl

bigtimeadl wrote:

Lol, wut?  Cops can have firearms...

If you have security guards for your program or event at the ICC, the ICC generally does not allow them to be armed, as it reserves that right for its own security team. 

People need to stop searching so hard for something to be angry about. 

Posted by selene314 bigtimeadl

bigtimeadl wrote:When I read some of the GenCon rules it said no weapons, which makes sense. It further went on to say their projecting police officers would not be allowed to have their firearms. Hope that is a joke, I don’t know a single cop who would work an event without a firearm, not to mention, there should be armed security.

It says off-duty police, military, etc. are not allowed to bring firearms.

That sounds like the people who wrote the policy take for granted that on-duty security will be armed.
They also explicitly say that, while misleading uniforms are not allowed as costumes, active-duty military can wear their real uniforms.

You can find the policy under Attend > Attendess FAQ > Policies & Show Info
https://www.gencon.com/attend/policies

Weapons and items that appear to be weapons are not allowed at Gen Con. Self defense, recreational and utility items such as knifes, tasers, pepper spray, BB guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, paintball guns, water guns, martial arts weaponry, including wooden practice weapons, etc., are not welcome, even if it is lawful to own and carry them in other public places. Off-duty security, law enforcement and military personnel are not allowed to bring their weapons to Gen Con. Items resembling futuristic weapons, fantasy weapons, and non-projectile boffer weapons may be allowed provided they are not handled in a careless, threatening, or destructive manner against persons or property.

Posted by brooks selene314

Handgun laws can be unnecessarily complex. However I repeat that I cannot remember any participant of Gen Con being a victim of random violence in Indianapolis. 

The city goes a long way to take care of us.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.