Refund Info
( Locked)
Posted by timjs21

Based on the recent change in masking policy, please advise on how to go about getting a refund on 4 day badge, event tickets and hotel booked through the housing block.  I'd like to get this done ASAP.

Posted by squirecam timjs21

timjs21 wrote:
Based on the recent change in masking policy, please advise on how to go about getting a refund on 4 day badge, event tickets and hotel booked through the housing block.  I'd like to get this done ASAP.
There has been no change in policy. I quote the May safety update:
it is possible that mask guidance could change in the coming months, especially as it relates to large, indoor events like Gen Con. Do know, however, that in most cases, Gen Con will take the more conservative approach to masking. In other words, if the official guidance is “no masks are ok, but masks on are better,” then we will opt for better. And if masks are required, Gen Con staff will enforce it.

Requiring masks was always potentially a part of their ultimate policy. So it hasn't changed. Everyone was clearly on notice of it. I'll also quote Roderick...
The situation is fluid. There is two months between now and the con, and a lot can happen in those two months. Gen Con will keep us updated as to what the current guidelines are, but those guidelines will be changing as time goes on. 

Good luck with your refund request.

Posted by timjs21 squirecam

squirecam wrote:
timjs21 wrote:
There has been no change in policy. I quote the May safety update:
it is possible that mask guidance could change in the coming months, especially as it relates to large, indoor events like Gen Con. Do know, however, that in most cases, Gen Con will take the more conservative approach to masking. In other words, if the official guidance is “no masks are ok, but masks on are better,” then we will opt for better. And if masks are required, Gen Con staff will enforce it.

Requiring masks was always potentially a part of their ultimate policy. So it hasn't changed. Everyone was clearly on notice of it.Good luck with your refund request.

Thanks Squirecam.  I appreciate the info but I'd like an official response from someone at GenCon. The mask policy has changed and based on that, I'd like a refund.  I regard this similar to a gym where they post signs saying that they are not liable for items stolen in their locker rooms.  You can say that and post it, but legally you are liable and can be sued.  I'm not saying I'm looking to take legal action - yet, but I'd like an answer to begin with.  I'm not sure how anyone can legally take payment for something and prior to that service/event being provided say they will not allow a refund.

Posted by matthias9

I think that's kind of disingenuous.  If you read the Jun/Jul Health and Safety update, it tells you what their plan is.  In detail.  I don't believe there are even weasel words about it changing.  The rules were stated.  People made decisions based on that.

Personally, I think it stinks.  It won't change whether I come.  But, clearly it will for others -- who made the decision based on that announced plan. 

If it is fair for Gen Con to change their plans, why isn't it fair for attendees to do the same?  When that happens, the only question is "who pays for that change".  The burden should be on the people who made the change.

Posted by tdb

Ya know, I wouldn't have been aware that their policy had changed from the wristband model if the OP hadn't spoken up.  So thank you, timjs21 for that.

I think at the very least, Gencon deserves some grief for not announcing that change more clearly.  Every attendee provides an email address, and to judge from my inbox, Gencon certainly knows how to send mass emails.

I'm going to pop up some fresh popcorn and sit back for the debate on the other matters.

Posted by brooks tdb

tdb wrote:
Ya know, I wouldn't have been aware that their policy had changed from the wristband model if the OP hadn't spoken up.  So thank you, timjs21 for that.
I think at the very least, Gencon deserves some grief for not announcing that change more clearly.  Every attendee provides an email address, and to judge from my inbox, Gencon certainly knows how to send mass emails.
I'm going to pop up some fresh popcorn and sit back for the debate on the other matters.

It was somewhat buried in a newsletter that was emailed out late Friday afternoon (EST) with the title: The Gen Con Online Event Catalog is Live!

Easy to miss. 

Posted by squirecam

I do not think this is a fair reading. The gencon POLICY has not changed. Their policy has always been "we will basically follow mask guidelines".

The mask guidelines briefly changed in July. Now they changed back. From January through July, the expectation has been masks required.

I understand some people dont want to mask. But the mask policy never changed. The only thing that changed were the CDC guidelines, which Roderick said could change again.

I dont think its fair to blame Gencon for the CDC changing their guidelines back. And if you expect Gencon to ignore the CDC changes then you havent been paying attention.

In short, you cannot take one July update as "absolute policy" and ignore the other month updates. That is disingenuous.

Posted by tdb

So it was.

But, given that I plan to attend the in-person version, why would I look at an announcement about the online version?

There was certainly nothing in the subject line to indicate that this was an email that might be worth my time. 

Posted by brooks tdb

tdb wrote:
So it was.
But, given that I plan to attend the in-person version, why would I look at an announcement about the online version?
There was certainly nothing in the subject line to indicate that this was an email that might be worth my time. 

I agree. For a significant change in policy for the in-person convention they probably should have sent out a dedicated email just for that. 

Posted by tdb brooks

brooks wrote:
tdb wrote:
So it was.

I agree. For a significant change in policy for the in-person convention they probably should have sent out a dedicated email just for that. 
Yes, exactly.

To be clear, I think the policy change was prudent, and it won't change my decision to attend.  My only beef is the way they announced it.

Posted by vulcanspock squirecam

squirecam wrote:
I do not think this is a fair reading. The gencon POLICY has not changed. Their policy has always been "we will basically follow mask guidelines".
The mask guidelines briefly changed in July. Now they changed back. From January through July, the expectation has been masks required.
I understand some people dont want to mask. But the mask policy never changed. The only thing that changed were the CDC guidelines, which Roderick said could change again.
I dont think its fair to blame Gencon for the CDC changing their guidelines back. And if you expect Gencon to ignore the CDC changes then you havent been paying attention.
In short, you cannot take one July update as "absolute policy" and ignore the other month updates. That is disingenuous.

None of this is relevant.  The OP isn't asking how the rules were arrived at.  They are asking for a refund.

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak.  The waiter comes back and says their supplier failed to deliver the steaks and they can't provide them -- "But, it's not the restaurant's fault!!"  Do you expect to still have to pay for the steak the restaurant can't provide?

You put a deposit on a hotel room.  Their water main breaks and they can't give you the room.  Are you out your deposit?  Or do you expect a refund?

Posted by hahnarama tdb

tdb wrote:
Hey here's $20 since you're going to the concession stand could you pick me up a box of Dots, some Jr Mints, and a 64 oz Cherry Coke

Posted by squirecam vulcanspock

mollymolly wrote:
squirecam wrote:

None of this is relevant.  The OP isn't asking how the rules were arrived at.  They are asking for a refund.If you go to a restaurant and order a steak.  The waiter comes back and says their supplier failed to deliver the steaks and they can't provide them -- "But, it's not the restaurant's fault!!"  Do you expect to still have to pay for the steak the restaurant can't provide?
You put a deposit on a hotel room.  Their water main breaks and they can't give you the room.  Are you out your deposit?  Or do you expect a refund?
Your example is incorrect. A proper example would be you call the restaurant in January asking if they serve fresh cod. The restaurant says fresh cod is never guaranteed and its 50/50 whether they will have it at any time. They ask if you want a reservation and you make it KNOWING that they might not have fresh cod.

There has been NO policy change. It has ALWAYS been a wait and see attitude. People just want to moan because they dont want to wear a mask. 

If you want to demand a refund, fine. But dont act as if it is owed to you because Gencon changed some policy that was set in stone. Because that's absolutely wrong and disingenuous.

Posted by matthias9

Wow.  So their June July health and safety update procedures listed said it was only 50/50 that those stated rules would actually be applied?

Posted by buffythecatslayer

Your example is incorrect. A proper example would be you call the restaurant in January asking if they serve fresh cod. The restaurant says fresh cod is never guaranteed and its 50/50 whether they will have it at any time. They ask if you want a reservation and you make it KNOWING that they might not have fresh cod.

I have to point out in your example, you didn't pay for the fish upfront in January. :-)

But, I agree that the policy was pretty clear; masking might change.  They chose a crappy way to announce it, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone that bought a badge should have read that policy in detail before committing their $100+.

Gen Con's policy has always been no refunds after the cut-off date, no exceptions.  As far as "legal action", that's laughable.  You'd have file in Washington, where the fee can be as much as $50, plus notifying the defendant.  By the time you're done, even if the judgement went in your favor (highly unlikely since you agreed to the terms & conditions), you might recover a few bucks.

Note that the only money you'd actually be out is the badge.  Any electronic event tickets could be returned on-line.  Any paper tickets could be given to a friend, or even a stranger, to return at the Con, and your account will be credited.

Posted by aaronmlopez hahnarama

hahnarama wrote:
tdb wrote:
Hey here's $20 since you're going to the concession stand could you pick me up a box of Dots, some Jr Mints, and a 64 oz Cherry Coke

I would like some Gummy Bears (Haribo if they have them), and a Vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Posted by tdb

Aaaand,   I just got an email from gen con customer service.  Subject: Masks Required at Gen Con Indy

I take no credit, but thank you, Gen Con!

Posted by tdb

We now return you to our regularly-scheduled mayhem, already in progress.

<munches popcorn>

Posted by oldcurmudgeonstudios

The timing on this was extremely poor. Really not arguable. This was announced 4 days after Hotel cutoff, according to the website.

So the question now is this: Did GC choose to wait until after the cutoff to make this announcement to make people less inclined to cancel, knowing they'd be on the hook for the full day hotel fee to help out their hotel partners and the vendors who've made their commitment?

Some real conspiracy theory stuff right there. GC already has the badge fees, which are non-refundable after that cut off, so that income has already been taken. Booth fees, I would think are also non-refundable, so that income is also in hand. So GC has to run the event to keep those funds, so cancelling is a non-starter.

I can absolutely see more people cancelling their trips, if the hotel fees were only the $25 before Aug 2nd, generating less revenue for the hotels. Those hotels may be more inclined to block off fewer rooms for future cons, if that were to happen.

Vendors would be similarly hosed by a less attended convention as well. Even worse, they'd have less recourse than the hotels. The worst they could do is refuse to attend future shows.

Sure, you're going to make a number of attendees mad, but those feeling will fade over time. Doesn't look good in the short term, but people really have no other choice for a large gaming convention. Maybe they'll go to Origins, but GC figures they'll return in time, probably.

Edited to be less aggressive.

Posted by brooks tdb

tdb wrote:
Aaaand,   I just got an email from gen con customer service.  Subject: Masks Required at Gen Con Indy
I take no credit, but thank you, Gen Con!

If you're not going to take the credit, I certainly will : )

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4