Elevator pitch seminar
Posted by yamal

Where do report to about bad events? My wife just attended the elevator pitch seminar to learn inside information on talking to those in the business and instead was ranted at about how she should never try and the event was cut short. These seminars are meant to be a a chance to learn briefly what goes into being a writer not a slap in the face. Please let me know where I can report this so next year we can see someone who actually cares to lecture.

Posted by lore seeker

Wow, that sounds like a freaking counter-productive event. If it weren't free (I'm assuming it was, since seminars generally are) I would call it a scam.

Posted by yamal

I would equate it to going to a DnD session where you are told to come character sheet in hand with background and the session starts with "rocks fall, everyone dies" the guy rips up your sheet and leaves.

They need someone who actually wants to be there.

Posted by helenbb

I was at the elevator pitch session... at least, I was at *an* elevator pitch session. It was nothing like what your wife describes. I have found all of the writers' symposium events to be extremely supportive. The session provided some useful information, although it did deviate into discussing query letters and longer pitches as well, and suggestions were given as to when would be an appropriate time to discuss a pitch with someone. The session ran full time (ending shortly before the top of the hour, as sessions are supposed to, to allow for changeover of the room).

Was that the session your wife attended, or was it a different one? I don't recall hearing anyone discouraged or being the subject of a rant. (The session I attended was on Friday afternoon in Westin Congress.)

Posted by lilyjade helenbb

helenbb wroteWas that the session your wife attended, or was it a different one? I don't recall hearing anyone discouraged or being the subject of a rant. (The session I attended was on Friday afternoon in Westin Congress.)
That was the only "elevator pitch" session during the Con that I know of (and that I can find online anywhere). Friday at 2PM, Business of Writing: Elevator Pitches led by James Minz, Maxwell Alexander Drake, Christopher Morgan. I wasn't there personally, but know a few who were and I heard nothing negative.

Now, the OP may be mixed up with Writing Novels: Pitching Your Novel that was at 4PM Friday but I doubt that since I don't see Kelley Armstrong or any of the other authors there (Marco Palmieri, Christopher Morgan) to be the kind to rant at someone.

New Post Sign in to write a new post.