housing WORST Ever
( Locked)
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5
Posted by earthdawn66

This years Housing Random Queue was a horrible choice wife and family been coming for decades and have never had to stay outside of downtown... got a 2:44 in the afternoon housing time... and ALL rooms in downtown were gone....with Brother in Law having Medical issues which will makes this a horrible experience...

Posted by jerrytel

The attendance jump over the last few years is just nuts. Last year was the first year my luck ran out in regards to trying to get a room through the portal; it did affect my gaming group's plan and we cancelled 75% of our events.

Best of luck to you. I have been attending since 1994; not as long as you, but I can understand your frustration.

Posted by valentinew1

I have about 2 hours left in my queue.  That's spectacular news!  Especially since I can't walk far, & I need a space near the CC to drop stuff.  Looks like I'll be looking into the requirements for an ADA room or booking outside the block this year.

What a crock.

Posted by qstor

Outside the block? There's NO downtown rooms outside the block.

Posted by dontadow

Posted by mhayward1978 earthdawn66

earthdawn66 wrote:
   This years Housing Random Queue was a horrible choice wife and family been coming for decades and have never had to stay outside of downtown... got a 2:44 in the afternoon housing time... and ALL rooms in downtown were gone....with Brother in Law having Medical issues which will makes this a horrible experience...

It has nothing to do with the system for this year.

Attendance has really spiked in the last few years  Attendance bounced around between 20,000 and 30,000 from 2003-2010, and then exploded up to 36k, 41k, 49k, 56k, 61k from 2011-2015, and staying around 60k last year.  

This year will probably be the largest attendance ever with the 50th anniversary.

Since 2013 only around 25% of people who wanted downtown hotel rooms the day they became available have been able to get one.

No matter what system they use, only around 25% of people who wanted downtown hotel rooms are going to be able to get them, because there are more people than rooms.

Posted by mhayward1978 qstor

qstor wrote:

Poppycock.  

Did you mean IN the block?

There are rooms available at the Hilton Garden Inn, The Alexander, the Conrad, and Staybridge Suites.

https://www.hotels.com/search.do?resolved-location=NEIGHBORHOOD%3A1663778%3AUNKNOWN%3AUNKNOWN&destination-id=1663778&q-destination=Downtown%20Indianapolis,%20Indiana,%20United%20States%20of%20America&q-check-in=2017-08-16&q-check-out=2017-08-21&q-rooms=1&q-room-0-adults=2&q-room-0-children=0

Posted by lbxzero qstor

qstor wrote:

There are a few rooms outside the block.  Those are typically the more costly suites.

I will say this in GenCon's defense, they are trying to work with what they have.  Every major city has this problem of limited hotel rooms in walking distance.  They were hoping that improved transit services will help solve the issue, but it is not helping anything.  I agree with the 3-day minimum requirement for downtown rooms, but I do believe people are finding ways to bypass the enforcement somehow.  I have a series of suggestions to give these guys, which I think deserve its own thread.  Every year keeps looking to be worse than the year before.  I feel they missed an obvious opportunity here to relieve some of the tension.

Overall, it is always this bad, and it will always be this bad.

Posted by squirecam lbxzero

lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:

There are a few rooms outside the block.  Those are typically the more costly suites.I will say this in GenCon's defense, they are trying to work with what they have.  Every major city has this problem of limited hotel rooms in walking distance.  They were hoping that improved transit services will help solve the issue, but it is not helping anything.  I agree with the 3-day minimum requirement for downtown rooms, but I do believe people are finding ways to bypass the enforcement somehow.  I have a series of suggestions to give these guys, which I think deserve its own thread.  Every year keeps looking to be worse than the year before.  I feel they missed an obvious opportunity here to relieve some of the tension.
what transit services?

there is no con shuttle. They left everyone at the rng mercy of the hotel timer.
maybe now people will understand why folks said gencon must consider moving. Indy does not have sufficient hotel space. Without a reliable shuttle it's only getting worse.

Posted by lehane squirecam

squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:

There are a few rooms outside the block.  Those are typically the more costly suites.I will say this in GenCon's defense, they are trying to work with what they have.  Every major city has this problem of limited hotel rooms in walking distance.  They were hoping that improved transit services will help solve the issue, but it is not helping anything.  I agree with the 3-day minimum requirement for downtown rooms, but I do believe people are finding ways to bypass the enforcement somehow.  I have a series of suggestions to give these guys, which I think deserve its own thread.  Every year keeps looking to be worse than the year before.  I feel they missed an obvious opportunity here to relieve some of the tension.
what transit services?there is no con shuttle. They left everyone at the rng mercy of the hotel timer.
maybe now people will understand why folks said gencon must consider moving. Indy does not have sufficient hotel space. Without a reliable shuttle it's only getting worse.
I don't think a move is necessary. Indy itself has not given any reason to move the convention. If attendance keeps climbing then serious consideration needs to be given to expansion not relocation.

A Second Gencon might be what is needed. While some people will have the money and vacation time to attend both, not everyone will and will choose between the two events.

Posted by orangedragon mhayward1978

No not poppycock. Just got off the phone with the Conrad (suites available for $650 a night) only other room available is Hilton (room available at $450 a night). We've attended multiple years and NEVER had this kind of problem. No housing within 10 miles of the convention center that doesn't cost a fortune. Will be cancelling our tickets.

Posted by squirecam lehane

lehane wrote:
squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:

what transit services?there is no con shuttle. They left everyone at the rng mercy of the hotel timer.
I don't think a move is necessary. Indy itself has not given any reason to move the convention. If attendance keeps climbing then serious consideration needs to be given to expansion not relocation.A Second Gencon might be what is needed. While some people will have the money and vacation time to attend both, not everyone will and will choose between the two events.
one or two downtown hotels won't solve anything.
the convention has outgrown the hotel space. That's an obvious fact. Unless gencon actually makes an effort to triple the downtown space and have reliable transport the issues will just get worse.

And no one wants to attend gencon2. They want gencon. Which is why the #'s keep rising.

Posted by mhayward1978 orangedragon

orangedragon wrote:
No not poppycock. Just got off the phone with the Conrad (suites available for $650 a night) only other room available is Hilton (room available at $450 a night). We've attended multiple years and NEVER had this kind of problem. No housing within 10 miles of the convention center that doesn't cost a fortune. Will be cancelling our tickets.

It is poppycock.

You said "THERE'S NO DOWNTOWN ROOMS OUTSIDE THE BLOCK."

There are, as your own post verifies.

You mean: "THERE'S NO DOWNTOWN ROOMS OUTSIDE THE BLOCK AT A PRICE I'M WILLING TO PAY."  

Which is not the same thing at all.

Stop spreading misinformation.  

There are downtown rooms outside the block.

Posted by lehane squirecam

squirecam wrote:
lehane wrote:
squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:

I don't think a move is necessary. Indy itself has not given any reason to move the convention. If attendance keeps climbing then serious consideration needs to be given to expansion not relocation.A Second Gencon might be what is needed. While some people will have the money and vacation time to attend both, not everyone will and will choose between the two events.
the convention has outgrown the hotel space. That's an obvious fact. Unless gencon actually makes an effort to triple the downtown space and have reliable transport the issues will just get worse.And no one wants to attend gencon2. They want gencon. Which is why the #'s keep rising.

I didn't mean Hotel expansion cause to be worth worth building there would need to be demand for the hotels most of the year not just for gencon.

I mean a gencon expansion to a 2nd convention a year. How do you know people wouldn't be interested in another Gencon when there isn't one offered currently. Attendance keeps rising since it is the only one and their only choice if they want to attend.

Clearly Indy has been a great success given the attendance explosion in recent years.

Posted by squirecam lehane

lehane wrote:
squirecam wrote:
lehane wrote:
squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:

the convention has outgrown the hotel space. That's an obvious fact. Unless gencon actually makes an effort to triple the downtown space and have reliable transport the issues will just get worse.And no one wants to attend gencon2. They want gencon. Which is why the #'s keep rising.
I didn't mean Hotel expansion cause to be worth worth building there would need to be demand for the hotels most of the year not just for gencon.I mean a gencon expansion to a 2nd convention a year. How do you know people wouldn't be interested in another Gencon when there isn't one offered currently. Attendance keeps rising since it is the only one and their only choice if they want to attend.
Clearly Indy has been a great success given the attendance explosion in recent years.
gencon in winter (LA) failed. It has to be a summer convention. Because gencon does not have staff for 2 conventions in august. Nor will retailers be available.

No the only real solution is moving to a city with hotel space OR public transport. Or demanding that Indy create either. 

Posted by bware

Is the queue setup where only the first ~2 hours of random assignments had the possibility of getting a downtown hotel, or is the downtown blocks of rooms also spread out to allow the later random assignments to get a downtown hotel? One of my group went an hour ago and there was nothing with 10 miles. When I go at 6:62pm EST will I even have a tiny chance of getting a downtown hotel?

Posted by llenlleawg orangedragon

orangedragon wrote
=inheritNo housing within 10 miles of the convention center that doesn't cost a fortune. Will be cancelling our tickets.

Don't cancel just yet! If you try some other online booking agencies, and if you're willing to take rooms as far away as the airport (in any direction from downtown), you can still get some decent rates.

Posted by sysop073 orangedragon

orangedragon wrote:No not poppycock. Just got off the phone with the Conrad (suites available for $650 a night) only other room available is Hilton (room available at $450 a night). We've attended multiple years and NEVER had this kind of problem. No housing within 10 miles of the convention center that doesn't cost a fortune. Will be cancelling our tickets.

You haven't waited long enough yet, last year JW hit $700/night for a normal room. I'm not sure why you expected to find rooms outside the housing block for the same price as the rooms in it -- that's the point of a housing block

Posted by squirecam bware

bware wrote:
Is the queue setup where only the first ~2 hours of random assignments had the possibility of getting a downtown hotel, or is the downtown blocks of rooms also spread out to allow the later random assignments to get a downtown hotel? One of my group went an hour ago and there was nothing with 10 miles. When I go at 6:62pm EST will I even have a tiny chance of getting a downtown hotel?
no they are sold out. 
You will need to go outside the block, post a room thread, or try the block by checking back every few days.

Posted by lehane

LA is on the farside of a coast. That will stop people from attending due to travel concerns that live in central or eastern areas. Same problem with selecting an east coast site.

Hotel expansion sounds nice, but it will never be on the table for a single convention due to lack of demand the rest of the year. In Indy doesn't already have public transportation then likely there also isn't a demand for it during the rest of the year.

Rising attendance to the point it is becoming problematic can only really be fought with expansion to a second convention. Still needs to be summer time? May or June then, with the usual august one.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3 4 5
1 3 4 5