Hawaiian Shirt Saturday?
1 3
1 3
Posted by delgrieve

After seeing a post last year my buddies and I wore them but only saw a few folks on the bandwagon.    Anyone doing it this year?

Posted by jlawry86

It's funny - I was actually debating whether or not I wanted to do this on opening day. Gen Con is basically my version of going to Hawaii so I thought it might be fitting.

I'd be down to try this if other people are on board. Maybe have an informal meet-up of some kind? :)

Posted by david campbell

I'd be in.

Posted by chef pandakage

My first time going was last year. Didn't even know this was a thing lol. I wore Hawaiian shirts 3 out of 4 days just cause they're comfy. I'm down.

Posted by bith

Had no idea it was a thing, but unless I"m in costume I pretty much always wear a hawaain shirt so... :P

Posted by rhone1

Never heard of this, but I'm in!  

Posted by trace_sl

Yep, Saturday is Hawaiian Shirt day!!!  It is a thing and a way to remember Gary Gygax  

Posted by delgrieve

With respect to those who may have originally started this, let's keep it going.  

Looking forward to seeing all you lei'd back Lords and Ladies on Sat! 

Posted by [email protected]

Hawaiian Shirt Saturday it is!

Posted by jlawry86

Does anybody have a preferred meeting time or place on Saturday? You know, the costume parade is taking place at 3:00 PM in front of Exhibit Hall A.

I can hold up a giant sign that says "HAWAIIAN SHIRTS ASSEMBLE!" and bring a megaphone so I can be as obnoxious as humanly possible.

Just saying.

Posted by nerdygirle87

I love this! Am a first time GenCon attendee, didn't know this was a thing. Would love to join in but will be in cosplay. Will see if the bf will participate though :)

Posted by delgrieve

Whohoo!  More additions to our comfy/colorful raiding party. 

Thanks to trace_sl for info on the meaning.

Let's see if we can really make a good showing for the 50th!

Posted by jlawry86

FYI: http://garycon.com/product/hawaiian-shirt/

Posted by quarex

Who decided this was a thing?  Not that I am suggesting anyone has (or lacks) the authority to do so, but considering how fervently I always read Gen-Con information online (well O.K., other than last year) I am confused that I have never heard of this before.  Particularly as my group all wore matching Hawai'ian shirts in 2004, and on Saturday no less.  Doubt it would have come up before Gary's death though, huh.

Posted by jlawry86 quarex

quarex wrote:
Who decided this was a thing?  Not that I am suggesting anyone has (or lacks) the authority to do so, but considering how fervently I always read Gen-Con information online (well O.K., other than last year) I am confused that I have never heard of this before.  Particularly as my group all wore matching Hawai'ian shirts in 2004, and on Saturday no less.  Doubt it would have come up before Gary's death though, huh.

I think this definitely falls under "unofficial Gen Con event." I've been going to Gen Con for years and I only just heard about this. Really excited about it either way. I think it's a great way to honor the bard.

Posted by armadilloal quarex

quarex wrote:

Gary Con has been doing this for at least three years.  I don't remember hearing about it at Gen Con before last year, though.

Posted by trace_sl quarex

quarex wrote:

At the time it was on the Facebook group, it was unofficial and a response to black tee shirts being the uniform of gamers and so to add color to a sea of black tee shirts, Hawaiian shirt day was born.  It was pointed out that Gary always wore Hawaiian shirts and it was a great way to remember him, so a day was picked, Saturday (because it did not interfere with costume contest) to try and start a trend.  Sure, people wore Hawaiian shirts but that was because they liked them and it was here and there.  This was an attempt to get a lot of gamers to wear them, all on one day and to build on it year after year until it became the norm for Saturday.

As to who, yes, it was, I that said "Saturday is Hawaiian shirt day!"  I was about to post it again, until I saw this thread, made me smile in enjoyment.  But really, it was gamers that like Hawaiian shirts and did not like being in a sea of black, that started this.  :)   Oh, this year is special as we are "Going Hawaii", as in 5 O baby!  :)  That is a saying people that reach 50 say. 

Posted by wells

I am in, Hawaii 5 0!

Posted by delgrieve

Yes!          
Love the tie in to 5 0.

Keep spreading the word.

Posted by jimtullis

We're only supposed to do it on Saturday?
Man have I been screwing up.
I'm not sure all of my shirts count as Hawaiian, but most of them are cut in that style.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 3
1 3