Housing lottery
Posted by brotherbock lehane

lehane wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
If they reduced the number of available badges to just 20,000, downtown housing wouldn’t be an issue.  To make it fair as to who gets to buy badges first, they could set up some sort of randomized lottery system...

At this point we just move from people complaining about not getting a downtown hotel room to people complaining about not getting to attend Gencon period. Reducing the amount Badges is a terrible idea. No one in the city will welcome a decision to eliminate 30,000 or so visitors and their money even if Gencon wanted to toss said money away. 

I don't think anyone was actually advocating for that.

Even me saying I'd appreciate fewer people--that's not an advocating of just telling them no. Rather it's a wish just that fewer people wanted to attend.

Posted by rayken grognard262

chaoticneutral262 wrote:
Maybe they could open the housing portal first for people who attended the previous year.  That way the regulars would be rewarded with a better chance at a downtown room, and staying further out your first time would become a rite of passage for the noobs, or a slight penalty for those with a spotty attendance record.

No. Seniority systems are dumb. 

Posted by brotherbock rayken

rayken wrote:
chaoticneutral262 wrote:
Maybe they could open the housing portal first for people who attended the previous year.  That way the regulars would be rewarded with a better chance at a downtown room, and staying further out your first time would become a rite of passage for the noobs, or a slight penalty for those with a spotty attendance record.

No. Seniority systems are dumb. 

Agreed. That turns it into a competition for who is 'more regular'.

I will say that if it were me, I'd consider early hotel reg for people with documented mobility issues. Or at least have a bank of rooms set aside for mobility impaired folks to apply for. There's a block of GM rooms, to account for the facts that A) GMs make it so that there are games to play so they are important and B) GMs have stuff they need to carry around for those games. And that's awesome and excellent. But it would be similarly cool to have some rooms set aside for people with mobility issues. Me having to come in from an outlying hotel is much less of a problem than someone in a wheelchair having to do the same.

Posted by nascragman

I believe there is a special block of rooms for people with disabilities.  I know one of our judges (wheelchair bound) got a room that way a few years ago.

Posted by selene314 nascragman

nascragman wrote:
I believe there is a special block of rooms for people with disabilities.  I know one of our judges (wheelchair bound) got a room that way a few years ago.

I don't see anything in the housing system to select an accessible room. I believe the current system is to select a hotel and type in a description of what accommodations you need. Then after the lottery Q-rooms compares the requests against what is actually available, and might move you to a different hotel.

It would be much better if you could filter the hotel search to only show accessible rooms.

Posted by tinabear81

I would love it if there were a way for people with documented mobility issues to get closer hotels or downtown rooms. My partner uses a cane, and while he can walk a fair bit, it actually takes a toll. The Staybridge is close and walkable by my standards. It was a long walk for him before the con even started, then combined with the walking in the actual convention center, he was hurting at the end of the day. Right now, we’re further out with plans of ridesharing to and from the con and hotel. I’m hoping it will be easier on him. If he had mobility issues that made ride share unsuitable and caused problems with driving and taking a shuttle, being closer would be helpful. From GenCon’s management perspective, they would have to have some sort of verification process where you upload proof of need when you purchase your badge. Then they would either need include people with documented problems in the VIG housing portal access time, or give another time for them to access the portal before the housing lottery opens. Barring that, they would need to block out rooms for people with mobility challenges like they do for gms. 

Either way it is an extra logistical challenge for GenCon.

Posted by brotherbock selene314

nascragman wrote:

Interesting, thanks for that info. I know people who might like to hear that, so I'm gonna tell em :)
selene314 wrote:
I don't see anything in the housing system to select an accessible room. I believe the current system is to select a hotel and type in a description of what accommodations you need. Then after the lottery Q-rooms compares the requests against what is actually available, and might move you to a different hotel.It would be much better if you could filter the hotel search to only show accessible rooms.

If it's a block of rooms like the GM block, it wouldn't be done through the regular housing process. GMs can try to get into the block separately (after games are accepted, of course) through GC itself. So it might be worth an email if that's the case, to see how one accesses those rooms, if they exist. I hope they do.

Posted by raidkillsbugsded brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
lehane wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:
If they reduced the number of available badges to just 20,000, downtown housing wouldn’t be an issue.  To make it fair as to who gets to buy badges first, they could set up some sort of randomized lottery system...

At this point we just move from people complaining about not getting a downtown hotel room to people complaining about not getting to attend Gencon period. Reducing the amount Badges is a terrible idea. No one in the city will welcome a decision to eliminate 30,000 or so visitors and their money even if Gencon wanted to toss said money away. 

I don't think anyone was actually advocating for that.Even me saying I'd appreciate fewer people--that's not an advocating of just telling them no. Rather it's a wish just that fewer people wanted to attend.

I assumed my sarcasm would be self-evident

Posted by narzat brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
nascragman wrote:

Interesting, thanks for that info. I know people who might like to hear that, so I'm gonna tell em :)
selene314 wrote:
I don't see anything in the housing system to select an accessible room. I believe the current system is to select a hotel and type in a description of what accommodations you need. Then after the lottery Q-rooms compares the requests against what is actually available, and might move you to a different hotel.It would be much better if you could filter the hotel search to only show accessible rooms.

If it's a block of rooms like the GM block, it wouldn't be done through the regular housing process. GMs can try to get into the block separately (after games are accepted, of course) through GC itself. So it might be worth an email if that's the case, to see how one accesses those rooms, if they exist. I hope they do.

There is no separate block of downtown rooms for those with disabilities anymore.  

From the housing page:  "ADA ACCESSIBLE ROOM REQUESTS
ADA-compliant Accessible rooms can now be requested when selecting rooms within the online housing portal, and on opening day all users are required to select rooms using the online housing portal. Once a hotel and room have been selected for check-out the system will prompt the user to enter guest information. Guests desiring a disability-compliant Accessible room should select the “Accessible” checkbox located below the guest information fields to place a request.
Within two weeks of housing registration opening, Q-rooms will review the Accessible room requests on file and confirm availability with hotels. As Accessible room assignments are confirmed, guests will receive updated acknowledgments indicating change of assignment from a standard room type to Accessible room type (e.g. standard double/double to Accessible double/double).
In the event Accessible room requests exceed the capacity of a particular hotel, Q-rooms will fulfill the Accessible room requests in the order the room requests were assigned by the online registration system. Q-rooms will address any shortages by soliciting alternative Accessible rooms at comparable nearby hotels and obtaining guest consent prior to changing their assignment to one of the Accessible rooms available.
Important: Federal ADA legislation requires all hotels to meet minimum accessibility requirements, and hotel location is not applicable to ADA criteria. Requesting an Accessible room in the Gen Con block has no bearing on hotel location relative to the convention center and does not improve one’s chances of obtaining a downtown room assignment."

Posted by quarex

It is possible there is an interesting discussion to be had on this topic, particularly whether enlarging or shrinking the V.I.G. program is the right direction (though something tells me they think very hard about this every year), but for as long as the badges sell out I imagine there is not much reason to make major changes.  PLUS the potential for several new downtown hotels opening over the next few years will certainly only help.

Posted by mikeboozer nascragman

nascragman wrote:

As pointed out there are ADA access rooms that address this, but no other block of rooms.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by brotherbock mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
nascragman wrote:

As pointed out there are ADA access rooms that address this, but no other block of rooms.Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

Are the ADA rooms designated just by access to the room, or nearness of the hotel to the con center, or both? (Never had to look into them, knock on wood)

Posted by lehane raidkillsbugsded

raidkillsbugsded wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
lehane wrote:
raidkillsbugsded wrote:

I don't think anyone was actually advocating for that.Even me saying I'd appreciate fewer people--that's not an advocating of just telling them no. Rather it's a wish just that fewer people wanted to attend.

I assumed my sarcasm would be self-evident
Sorry, it doesn't convey very well in written text and this isn't the first time someone has made that suggestion. 

Posted by rong brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
nascragman wrote:

As pointed out there are ADA access rooms that address this, but no other block of rooms.Mike Boozer
Gen Con LLC

Are the ADA rooms designated just by access to the room, or nearness of the hotel to the con center, or both? (Never had to look into them, knock on wood)
Important: Federal ADA legislation requires all hotels to meet minimum accessibility requirements, and hotel location is not applicable to ADA criteria. Requesting an Accessible room in the Gen Con block has no bearing on hotel location relative to the convention center and does not improve one’s chances of obtaining a downtown room assignment."

Access to the room.

Posted by brotherbock rong

rong wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
nascragman wrote:

Gen Con LLC

Important: Federal ADA legislation requires all hotels to meet minimum accessibility requirements, and hotel location is not applicable to ADA criteria. Requesting an Accessible room in the Gen Con block has no bearing on hotel location relative to the convention center and does not improve one’s chances of obtaining a downtown room assignment."Access to the room.

Good to know, thanks :)

Posted by squirecam

It used to be you could call for an ADA room.

they stopped that program.

Posted by darkbrandon funny-shaped dice

funny-shaped dice wrote:
robochgostef wrote:It would be nice to at least once get an early time slot to book at a hotel we actually want as opposed to left over garbage.   Doesn't everyone let out a rant or complaint from time to time.  For the record, this is my first, in all these years.

Everyone wants an early time slot - but it is flatly false that the hotels outside of downtown are “left over garbage”.  That’s the problem.  Those hotels are fine places - I’ve stayed at a number of them - and casting them as “garbage” gives attendees the wrong impression and contributes to the entire problem of “downtown-hotel-or-die!!!”For the record, my wife and I got timeslots that preclude downtown hotels on the first pass.  We’ll keep our eyes out and keep checking the portal until we either get a DT hotel or decide it is no longer worth our time to keep checking the portal.  Regardless, we’ll go to Gen Con and I’m sure we’ll have a great time...and I’m sure you will as well, otherwise you wouldn’t keep coming back.

When I think of "left over Garbage" I think of how much I have to pay in additional parking or Uber/Lyft.  I think a lot of them are super nice and worth it, but none of them offer service (that I've seen) to gencon.  So tack on another 30-40 bucks each time you want to return to your room and those nice hotels are less than ideal. 

I agree I'll go and have a great time, but I think Gen con needs to work with these hotels that are farther out to make them more ideal.  I am also aware that Lyft has special deals, but you only save a few extra bucks here and there.

Posted by brotherbock darkbrandon

darkbrandon wrote:I am also aware that Lyft has special deals, but you only save a few extra bucks here and there.

And you get all the fun of poorly screened amateur drivers with it.

Posted by rutherfordr brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
And you get all the fun of poorly screened amateur drivers who just won't stop talking and let you enjoy the ride in peace and quiet with it.

Fixed that for you!

Posted by funny-shaped dice darkbrandon

darkbrandon wrote:
funny-shaped dice wrote:
robochgostef wrote:It would be nice to at least once get an early time slot to book at a hotel we actually want as opposed to left over garbage.   Doesn't everyone let out a rant or complaint from time to time.  For the record, this is my first, in all these years.

Everyone wants an early time slot - but it is flatly false that the hotels outside of downtown are “left over garbage”.  That’s the problem.  Those hotels are fine places - I’ve stayed at a number of them - and casting them as “garbage” gives attendees the wrong impression and contributes to the entire problem of “downtown-hotel-or-die!!!”

When I think of "left over Garbage" I think of how much I have to pay in additional parking or Uber/Lyft.  I think a lot of them are super nice and worth it, but none of them offer service (that I've seen) to gencon.  So tack on another 30-40 bucks each time you want to return to your room and those nice hotels are less than ideal. I agree I'll go and have a great time, but I think Gen con needs to work with these hotels that are farther out to make them more ideal.  I am also aware that Lyft has special deals, but you only save a few extra bucks here and there.

I sure hope you give the process of checking the portal 2-3 times daily a try to see if you can catch a break.  I know each year I didn't "win" a hotel at the start I just set up a system of checking throughout the day until I got one:

• Just before leaving for work
  • At meal break
  • Just before leaving work to return home
  • Just before bed 

I think just after event registration day and around the week of badge return deadline, I increased it a bit - adding in quick checks at coffee breaks at work and after dinner at home.

Using this approach, I have found rooms usually in the June timeframe.  I see more dedicated hotel hunters post about finding them much earlier than that.

Good luck! I hope you're able to get a room that makes your Gen Con experience even better.

Sign in to write a new post. New Post