Wrist Bands and Event Tickets
Posted by summer vergiels

Hello! I have some events that are all ages, and since I have not had a wrist-band child attend with me, I am trying to figure out how it all plays out for GM's. I understand the wrist band allows for entrance, but not participation.... yes? If a parent wants to sign up a youngster (say, under 10) for an event, do they purchase an event ticket in their name (or two?) and then sit with their child at said event? Is a wrist-band kiddo allowed to participate? I am trying to find some concrete answers for a few parents that have reached out to me. Thanks everyone!

Posted by buffythecatslayer

From Policies and Show Info:

Children Ten and Under BadgesChildren ten and under are admitted free when accompanied by an attending adult. If your child wishes to participate in an event that requires purchasing an event ticket, you will need to purchase a Gen Con badge for them. Children over the age of ten are subject to the standard badge costs. For the children’s protection, parents must register all children ages ten and under at the Customer Service or Badge Registration kiosks onsite. A wristband will be issued at that time listing the parent or guardian’s contact information. The wristband must be attached to the child’s wrist while in the convention center in case the child and parent become separated. More information can be found in our Attendee FAQ.

With the wristband, your child only gets to attend the con, roam all the open areas & exhibit hall, and I think use the kid play area, located last year at LOS.  If they want to attend any ticketed event, even a free one or Kid Activity, you will need to get a regular badge for them, at least for the day of the event.  I'm not sure that you need to sit with them, especially for Kid Activities, but you should contact the GM and see if they'll, in effect, babysit.

If you attend an event, and just want your kids to be with you but not participate, then they don't need a badge or ticket.  However, please respect the event age, and don't bring youngsters to a 13+ or higher event.

Posted by aaronr

I am fairly certain that a wristband allows a child to participate only in KID events. For any other events the child would need a full badge.

Edit: from the FAQ

I want to pre-register my child that is age ten or younger, what do I do?

Gencon.com has a feature that will allow a parent or guardian with a valid Gen Con badge to register their child and obtain a Child Wristband. You will need to register your child either before the show or on site at the Customer Service or Badge Registration kiosks in order to get a Child Wristband for security purposes. Obtaining a Child Wristband will allow you to purchase event tickets for them for KID events. If your child wishes to participate in a non-KID event that requires an event ticket, you will need to purchase a regular Gen Con badge for them. Children 11 and older need a badge to attend the convention.

OK, that's different then.  I guess if you "buy" a wristband for your child from the buy a badge page, you could buy the kid event tickets for them.  They really need to consolidate this info into one place; two different text blobs pretty much contradict each other.

Posted by summer vergiels buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
OK, that's different then.  I guess if you "buy" a wristband for your child from the buy a badge page, you could buy the kid event tickets for them.  They really need to consolidate this info into one place; two different text blobs pretty much contradict each other.
This is my dilemma. I am not sure what to tell parents. 

It's fairly clear.  Get the wristbands now (instead of waiting for the Con to do it), and you can get Kid Activity event tickets now.  Any other events will require them to have a badge.

Posted by summer vergiels buffythecatslayer

buffythecatslayer wrote:
It's fairly clear.  Get the wristbands now (instead of waiting for the Con to do it), and you can get Kid Activity event tickets now.  Any other events will require them to have a badge.
Sorry for the present tense - I was voice texting. I said, "This was my dilemma. I was not sure what to tell the parents." I did let them know. :) Thank you all for your responses and help!

New Post Sign in to write a new post.