housing WORST Ever
( Locked)
6 7 8 10 12 13 14
6 7 8 10 12 13 14
Posted by aaronmlopez

It seems as though this entire thread goes like this:

Person who got a downtown room: "The lottery is great!!!"

Person who didn't get a downtown room: "The lottery is completely unfair!!!"

The fact is, there were probably 50K (or more) people vying for the 6K rooms. Every year, somebody who really wants or needs a downtown room does not get one. Those who have been getting a downtown room for x number of years... you may be proud of this, but the truth is that your "success" in getting one has denied someone else and perhaps not getting one possibly made someone decide to not attend at all as a result. SO... if you were lucky enough to score a downtown connected hotel this year... GREAT! If you didn't... there will be more Gen Cons and rooms may still become available. 

Personally, I always plan on attending Gen Con and staying at an out of block - non-connected hotel and I always assume that I will not get a downtown room. This year was the first time I actually got a connected hotel but I don't think my opinion on how the housing works has changed at all. I just consider myself extremely lucky. 

Posted by kidlidar gharris

gharris wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
gharris wrote:
jevertt wrote:
Is booking downtown hotels super early (for example, booking hotels for next years gencon) a good option (i.e. do their rate already account for the convention)?
It looks like dates for the show are already announced all the way up to 2020 - http://www.gencon.com/attend/futuredates. 

We have tried to do this in the past. Despite smug advice to "plan ahead" the problem is Gen Con and the hotels have already planned ahead- yup, up until 2020. As already pointed out, most of the rooms downtown are already claimed as part of the housing block, and as has been seen in the past if you still manage to weasel into them before housing goes live you are going to end up getting your reservations cancelled. We have found that most hotels have usually only allowed booking about six months in advance, although some have expanded to a year in the past few years. However, the hotels KNOW that is Gen Con weekend, and rates for out of block rooms are already jacked up- my wife found some of the rates to be as high as $600 a night in past years. Yeah, you may still get lucky and get a room that is "only" marked up "10-15%" over the already bloated prices for getting the room in block (and good for you if you can), but realistically the Gen Con housing plan for thousands of people cannot and should not consist of trying to be one of the people who slips through the cracks.
The Gen Con housing block isn't going anywhere. Any serious talk about what to do about housing problems downtown needs to address that.

Thanks for saying this - I felt like I was taking crazy pills!I did try to plan ahead, I scoured Hotels.com, individual hotel websites, expedia.com - in all cases I started looking _before_ they would even let you reserve a room out that far.  The best deal I found?  $450 a night at the Conrad.
Maybe "downtown" means something else to the poster, or maybe they have some special access via a membership program, or whatever.
But it's simply not true that you can just look up a downtown hotel and get it for ~15% more by simply planning ahead.
I'm open to being refuted on this point - Mr. "Just plan ahead" need only post quoting this thread showing listings for affordable downtown rooms for Gen Con 2018 at any time in the future.  
I suspect I will not be refuted.

After over 25 years of going to Gen Con I agree 100%. Hotels KNOW when Gen Con is even before they start taking reservations for that weekend, and the KNOW they can jack up prices for any rooms they have left outside of the housing blocks.
You know that's funny, I booked in January and my rate was 70.00 per night lower than the housing lottery.  (I will admit this is not a downtown room)  The hotel was the exact one I'm staying in

Posted by gharris del_grande

del_grande wrote:
gharris wrote:
lilyjade wrote:
afabbi wrote:
earthdawn66 wrote:
   This years Housing Random Queue was a horrible choice wife and family been coming for decades and have never had to stay outside of downtown... got a 2:44 in the afternoon housing time... and ALL rooms in downtown were gone....with Brother in Law having Medical issues which will makes this a horrible experience...
I agree. I wasn't allowed to enter the housing site until very late. Ended up having to stay outside of downtown. Not sure what was broken with the way things were handled before. 
The only difference was that it spread out the server load a lot more by not having everyone logged on at once. So your odds would have been the exact same and the same number of people were in front of you either way. If you had a late time, then you would have still been at the end of the queue the old way.

This is not entirely true....You only had the same odds this year as you did last year if every single person with a badge logged in when housing went live.
Every. Single. Badge. Holder.
Clearly everyone did not log in, and if they did log in they wanted to do so immediately when housing went live to minimize their chances of losing a room to someone who had a later log in time than they did (on the off chance that they had an early log in time)
This means that people who did go through the housing rush absolutely had a significantly better chance of getting a room downtown last year compared to this year. There is no disputing this. You were competing against a smaller pool of people last year- Gen Con could have actually LOST attendees this year and you still would have better odds last year.
This year if you had a time after 1:30-2:00 you was out of luck. Last year you may have had a 4:00 time and had a good shot of still getting a room downtown. If I remember right my time was 4:30ish last year and I stayed downtown...we actually had a choice between three different hotels!
I get that people think that participation trophies are fair. I get that people say it was too much for the servers- to which I say they should be upgraded every year anyways and the mad rush for event registration this year went off relatively well. But anyone who has been doing the housing lottery for the past few years who missed out on staying downtown this year should be clamoring for housing to go back to the way it used to be.

Am I missing something?  Wasn't last year's system the same as this year's, except that there was less of a gap in time between badge holders (i.e. more people per hour were let in) last year?  Two years ago, when they started the lottery system, I had a time of 1:50 (with a noon start) and all of the downtown rooms were gone by then.

Back in 2015 they spread the lottery out over "1 to 2 hours" as opposed to going until 10pm like they did this year. Your 1:50 time in 2015 would be about the same as getting an 8:30 time this year. 

Posted by gharris kidlidar

kidlidar wrote:
gharris wrote:
mhayward1978 wrote:
gharris wrote:
jevertt wrote:
Is booking downtown hotels super early (for example, booking hotels for next years gencon) a good option (i.e. do their rate already account for the convention)?
It looks like dates for the show are already announced all the way up to 2020 - http://www.gencon.com/attend/futuredates. 

We have tried to do this in the past. Despite smug advice to "plan ahead" the problem is Gen Con and the hotels have already planned ahead- yup, up until 2020. As already pointed out, most of the rooms downtown are already claimed as part of the housing block, and as has been seen in the past if you still manage to weasel into them before housing goes live you are going to end up getting your reservations cancelled. We have found that most hotels have usually only allowed booking about six months in advance, although some have expanded to a year in the past few years. However, the hotels KNOW that is Gen Con weekend, and rates for out of block rooms are already jacked up- my wife found some of the rates to be as high as $600 a night in past years. Yeah, you may still get lucky and get a room that is "only" marked up "10-15%" over the already bloated prices for getting the room in block (and good for you if you can), but realistically the Gen Con housing plan for thousands of people cannot and should not consist of trying to be one of the people who slips through the cracks.
The Gen Con housing block isn't going anywhere. Any serious talk about what to do about housing problems downtown needs to address that.

Thanks for saying this - I felt like I was taking crazy pills!I did try to plan ahead, I scoured Hotels.com, individual hotel websites, expedia.com - in all cases I started looking _before_ they would even let you reserve a room out that far.  The best deal I found?  $450 a night at the Conrad.
Maybe "downtown" means something else to the poster, or maybe they have some special access via a membership program, or whatever.
But it's simply not true that you can just look up a downtown hotel and get it for ~15% more by simply planning ahead.
I'm open to being refuted on this point - Mr. "Just plan ahead" need only post quoting this thread showing listings for affordable downtown rooms for Gen Con 2018 at any time in the future.  
I suspect I will not be refuted.

After over 25 years of going to Gen Con I agree 100%. Hotels KNOW when Gen Con is even before they start taking reservations for that weekend, and the KNOW they can jack up prices for any rooms they have left outside of the housing blocks.
You know that's funny, I booked in January and my rate was 70.00 per night lower than the housing lottery.  (I will admit this is not a downtown room)  The hotel was the exact one I'm staying in

But realistically, how many people are really looking to use the housing lottery with the hopes that they won't be staying downtown? If people are looking to stay out by the airport or something don't clog up the lottery, just go get a room from Priceline or something. For all intents and purposes if you are talking about using the lottery you are really talking about staying downtown.

Posted by gharris aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:
The fact is, there were probably 50K (or more) people vying for the 6K rooms. Every year, somebody who really wants or needs a downtown room does not get one. Those who have been getting a downtown room for x number of years... you may be proud of this, but the truth is that your "success" in getting one has denied someone else and perhaps not getting one possibly made someone decide to not attend at all as a result. SO... if you were lucky enough to score a downtown connected hotel this year... GREAT! If you didn't... there will be more Gen Cons and rooms may still become available. 
Personally, I always plan on attending Gen Con and staying at an out of block - non-connected hotel and I always assume that I will not get a downtown room. This year was the first time I actually got a connected hotel but I don't think my opinion on how the housing works has changed at all. I just consider myself extremely lucky. 

Not to belittle you getting a downtown room, you got one so enjoy it!

It isn't a simple matter of "person X got a room that person Y wanted, so now person Y is whining". It's that people who didn't want a room to begin with are being handed rooms, and those rooms are being taken away from people who actually wanted them. That actually is objectively unfair.

Give the rooms to people who actually want them and you will actually end up with less upset people. This should be a no brainer for Gen Con. You can't please everyone but you can please more of the people who care about this issue.

Posted by gharris jevertt

jevertt wrote:
Figured I'd do a quick search for next year - it does seem like most hotels don't take bookings more than 6 months or 12 months early. But I did see that Columbia Club (just off the circle) does - $179/night. https://www.columbia-club.org/. We're not even at this year's gencon, so hate to think about it already - but free cancellation up until a month before, so...

Depending on the site you check the Columbia Club only has 89-99 guest rooms out of the 6000+ rooms available downtown. Assuming Gen Con attendees get all of those rooms that is still a fraction of 1% of the total rooms that we will be needing at the convention. If you are planning on going next year and you can book the room now I would suggest you do it!

Posted by gharris divachelle

divachelle wrote:
Can't this whole thing be at least slightly mitigated by having a set of check boxes when you buy badges that says you'd like to be included in the housing lottery or not?
That way, only those buying badges and needing housing are placed in the lottery. 
My husband bought two badges for us and we didn't need housing, so we'd have opted out. That's one less in the lottery. 
Maybe this is overly simplistic, but wouldn't it at least help?
PS - Our housing time was so late that i guess it really didn't matter, like 10:30pm or something equally ridiculous. 

People would still check the box out of greed. Sadly many people don't have the same good moral compass that you have.

Historically, what actually deterred people from taking rooms out of greed was having to log into the housing portal at noon on housing day.

Posted by mhayward1978 gharris

gharris wrote:
jevertt wrote:
Figured I'd do a quick search for next year - it does seem like most hotels don't take bookings more than 6 months or 12 months early. But I did see that Columbia Club (just off the circle) does - $179/night. https://www.columbia-club.org/. We're not even at this year's gencon, so hate to think about it already - but free cancellation up until a month before, so...

Depending on the site you check the Columbia Club only has 89-99 guest rooms out of the 6000+ rooms available downtown. Assuming Gen Con attendees get all of those rooms that is still a fraction of 1% of the total rooms that we will be needing at the convention. If you are planning on going next year and you can book the room now I would suggest you do it!

Columbia Club also has a reputation for cancelling reservations.

Posted by del_grande gharris

gharris wrote:
del_grande wrote:
gharris wrote:
lilyjade wrote:
afabbi wrote:
earthdawn66 wrote:
   This years Housing Random Queue was a horrible choice wife and family been coming for decades and have never had to stay outside of downtown... got a 2:44 in the afternoon housing time... and ALL rooms in downtown were gone....with Brother in Law having Medical issues which will makes this a horrible experience...
I agree. I wasn't allowed to enter the housing site until very late. Ended up having to stay outside of downtown. Not sure what was broken with the way things were handled before. 
The only difference was that it spread out the server load a lot more by not having everyone logged on at once. So your odds would have been the exact same and the same number of people were in front of you either way. If you had a late time, then you would have still been at the end of the queue the old way.

This is not entirely true....You only had the same odds this year as you did last year if every single person with a badge logged in when housing went live.
Every. Single. Badge. Holder.
Clearly everyone did not log in, and if they did log in they wanted to do so immediately when housing went live to minimize their chances of losing a room to someone who had a later log in time than they did (on the off chance that they had an early log in time)
This means that people who did go through the housing rush absolutely had a significantly better chance of getting a room downtown last year compared to this year. There is no disputing this. You were competing against a smaller pool of people last year- Gen Con could have actually LOST attendees this year and you still would have better odds last year.
This year if you had a time after 1:30-2:00 you was out of luck. Last year you may have had a 4:00 time and had a good shot of still getting a room downtown. If I remember right my time was 4:30ish last year and I stayed downtown...we actually had a choice between three different hotels!
I get that people think that participation trophies are fair. I get that people say it was too much for the servers- to which I say they should be upgraded every year anyways and the mad rush for event registration this year went off relatively well. But anyone who has been doing the housing lottery for the past few years who missed out on staying downtown this year should be clamoring for housing to go back to the way it used to be.

Am I missing something?  Wasn't last year's system the same as this year's, except that there was less of a gap in time between badge holders (i.e. more people per hour were let in) last year?  Two years ago, when they started the lottery system, I had a time of 1:50 (with a noon start) and all of the downtown rooms were gone by then.

Back in 2015 they spread the lottery out over "1 to 2 hours" as opposed to going until 10pm like they did this year. Your 1:50 time in 2015 would be about the same as getting an 8:30 time this year. 

Exactly - but what's the difference between having a 1:50 time when the downtown hotels are gone by 1:30 and having an 8:30 time when they are gone by, what was it, 3:00?

The only thing that was different this year than last year, from what I have seen, was the mailing out of portal access times on Saturday rather than everybody logging in at noon Sunday to see what their time was.  Are you suggesting that we go back to that?

Something still doesn't pass the smell test here.  Why would the downtown rooms sell out that much faster?  Were there more people allotted to the earlier times?  (This wouldn't make sense - why bother with spreading the times out in the first place if they weren't balanced?)

Posted by mhayward1978 del_grande

Posted by eternusiv

Two approaches:

1) rely on the system

2) adapt without a system

I'm wary of systems; many smell tests later :p

del_grande wrote:
Exactly - but what's the difference between having a 1:50 time when the downtown hotels are gone by 1:30 and having an 8:30 time when they are gone by, what was it, 3:00?The only thing that was different this year than last year, from what I have seen, was the mailing out of portal access times on Saturday rather than everybody logging in at noon Sunday to see what their time was.  Are you suggesting that we go back to that?
Something still doesn't pass the smell test here.  Why would the downtown rooms sell out that much faster?  Were there more people allotted to the earlier times?  (This wouldn't make sense - why bother with spreading the times out in the first place if they weren't balanced?)

The rooms sold out that much faster because a higher percentage of badge holders were thrown into the housing pool, whether they initially intended to be in that pool or not. More competition, faster sell out times, lower chance of you getting a room downtown.

I absolutely am saying we should go back to logging in at noon. Sure, it will require a server upgrade that Gen Con should be making anyways but we do know that having to log in at noon to take your chances on housing, as much of a pain as it was, weeded out the chunk of badge holders that already had downtown rooms or were not intending to stay downtown in the first place. Basically it prevented greed and double dipping. Lower participation rate, better odds for the people that actually wanted to participate.

If you already have reservations downtown or want to commute in there is a big difference between waiting until the day of, logging in at noon, and spending an hour knowing you may very well get nothing out of it vs being told the day before that you randomly got a low number, all you have to do is log in for 5-10 minutes and claim your room. 

So if you are like the vast majority of people who will be using the Gen Con lottery for a room downtown next year it comes down to a simple choice- do you want to spend an hour logging into the housing portal at noon to have a significantly better chance of getting a room or do you want to just sit and wait for an email the day before, knowing that your chances of getting a room are much lower doing that?

Posted by aaronmlopez gharris

gharris wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

Not to belittle you getting a downtown room, you got one so enjoy it!It isn't a simple matter of "person X got a room that person Y wanted, so now person Y is whining". It's that people who didn't want a room to begin with are being handed rooms, and those rooms are being taken away from people who actually wanted them. That actually is objectively unfair.
Give the rooms to people who actually want them and you will actually end up with less upset people. This should be a no brainer for Gen Con. You can't please everyone but you can please more of the people who care about this issue.

You are not belittling me at all. I am not sure what you mean by "people who didn't want a room to begin with are being handed rooms". The lottery just put everyone's name in a hat and drew out 'winners' randomly. It didn't force anyone to book a room if they didn't want it.

I do think the process could benefit from an "opt out of the housing lottery" button if you have already decided that you were making other arrangements for your stay. This would decrease the number of people with names in the hat, but I am not sure the number difference would be that great. It seems to me that the majority of the people who are posting here that had made arrangements prior to the housing lottery still put their name in the hat for the chance at getting an in-block hotel. Even though I didn't get a downtown or in-block room the last several years, I still think the lottery system is working the best it can with the number of hotel rooms available. 

Posted by del_grande gharris

gharris wrote:
del_grande wrote:
Exactly - but what's the difference between having a 1:50 time when the downtown hotels are gone by 1:30 and having an 8:30 time when they are gone by, what was it, 3:00?The only thing that was different this year than last year, from what I have seen, was the mailing out of portal access times on Saturday rather than everybody logging in at noon Sunday to see what their time was.  Are you suggesting that we go back to that?

The rooms sold out that much faster because a higher percentage of badge holders were thrown into the housing pool, whether they initially intended to be in that pool or not. More competition, faster sell out times, lower chance of you getting a room downtown.

I absolutely am saying we should go back to logging in at noon. Sure, it will require a server upgrade that Gen Con should be making anyways but we do know that having to log in at noon to take your chances on housing, as much of a pain as it was, weeded out the chunk of badge holders that already had downtown rooms or were not intending to stay downtown in the first place. Basically it prevented greed and double dipping. Lower participation rate, better odds for the people that actually wanted to participate.

If you already have reservations downtown or want to commute in there is a big difference between waiting until the day of, logging in at noon, and spending an hour knowing you may very well get nothing out of it vs being told the day before that you randomly got a low number, all you have to do is log in for 5-10 minutes and claim your room. 

So if you are like the vast majority of people who will be using the Gen Con lottery for a room downtown next year it comes down to a simple choice- do you want to spend an hour logging into the housing portal at noon to have a significantly better chance of getting a room or do you want to just sit and wait for an email the day before, knowing that your chances of getting a room are much lower doing that?

But you're comparing this year to last year, which also had a lottery.  If I am reading this right, I think your theory is (and it's probably right - and for the very reason they implemented it), the reason the downtown rooms lasted longer was, a lot of the people with early portal times didn't bother to check the portal until well after their assigned time.

I was going to suggest something else - do what they did this year, but send out the E-mails at 11 AM on Sunday morning - but by your reasoning, just being told when you can log in, rather than having to access the portal to see what time it is, will severely decrease the chance that others will be able to get a downtown room as you are far less likely to miss your time.

What is your opinion of going back to the 2016 system - keep the lottery, but just don't tell anybody in advance what their portal times are, and have everybody have to access the portal in order to find their times?

del_grande wrote:

What is your opinion of going back to the 2016 system - keep the lottery, but just don't tell anybody in advance what their portal times are, and have everybody have to access the portal in order to find their times?

That is exactly what I am proposing.

Posted by gharris aaronmlopez

aaronmlopez wrote:

You are not belittling me at all. I am not sure what you mean by "people who didn't want a room to begin with are being handed rooms". The lottery just put everyone's name in a hat and drew out 'winners' randomly. It didn't force anyone to book a room if they didn't want it.I do think the process could benefit from an "opt out of the housing lottery" button if you have already decided that you were making other arrangements for your stay. This would decrease the number of people with names in the hat, but I am not sure the number difference would be that great. It seems to me that the majority of the people who are posting here that had made arrangements prior to the housing lottery still put their name in the hat for the chance at getting an in-block hotel. Even though I didn't get a downtown or in-block room the last several years, I still think the lottery system is working the best it can with the number of hotel rooms available. 

People are more likely to take things if they are offered to them vs having to actually go after something with a big chance of failure. Checking a box to stay in the lottery so you can stay in the lottery and get a shot at an extra reservation is a no brainer for a lot of people.

By being handed rooms I mean people who already had their housing reservations made were sent email the day before housing went live that basically said "log in at this time and in five minutes you can have a guaranteed discounted downtown hotel room". All they had to do was claim their room, and people will take these rooms even if they didn't need them to begin with. That is the problem with the lottery this year. 

Posted by aaronmlopez gharris

gharris wrote:
aaronmlopez wrote:

You are not belittling me at all. I am not sure what you mean by "people who didn't want a room to begin with are being handed rooms". The lottery just put everyone's name in a hat and drew out 'winners' randomly. It didn't force anyone to book a room if they didn't want it.I do think the process could benefit from an "opt out of the housing lottery" button if you have already decided that you were making other arrangements for your stay. This would decrease the number of people with names in the hat, but I am not sure the number difference would be that great. It seems to me that the majority of the people who are posting here that had made arrangements prior to the housing lottery still put their name in the hat for the chance at getting an in-block hotel. Even though I didn't get a downtown or in-block room the last several years, I still think the lottery system is working the best it can with the number of hotel rooms available. 
People are more likely to take things if they are offered to them vs having to actually go after something with a big chance of failure. Checking a box to stay in the lottery so you can stay in the lottery and get a shot at an extra reservation is a no brainer for a lot of people.
By being handed rooms I mean people who already had their housing reservations made were sent email the day before housing went live that basically said "log in at this time and in five minutes you can have a guaranteed discounted downtown hotel room". All they had to do was claim their room, and people will take these rooms even if they didn't need them to begin with. That is the problem with the lottery this year. 

Perdonally, I don't know anyone who already had housing reservations made/sent an email the day before the housing went live so I cannot confirm or deny that this was happening. I am not sure how they were able to confirm that they already had housing reservation that had been approved unless they were vendors/staff/major sponsors (Paizo, Mayfair, Rio Grande etc.) who had rooms guaranteed in advance as part of their sponsorship. These rooms were probably still part of the housing block and could not be actually "booked" until the time when the housing lottery went live by some type of agreement between the hotel and Gen Con. 

I am not sure just how many of these rooms were done this way and since I am not involved in the behind the scenes thing and perhaps if it were just for major sponsors and such, that they were told to participate in the lottery anyway if they did not want to stay in the sponsor provided room with others. Similar to volunteer badges. If Gen Con is providing you with a hotel room, you will probably not have a say as to who your roommates will be, so if you don't want to stay with someone else, then you have to try for your own room. 

Posted by ryanjamison

gharris, the existence of people who are taking downtown hotel rooms but didn't actually want them is entirely mythical. The realistic, and more simple explanation is that usually not everyone is able to log into the portal right at noon. Being busy, their connection being slow, the entire system crashing, or even the system itself being too confusing to decipher. GenCon, however much it may frustrate people who have had good luck in the past, does not actually have any motivation on its part to give people who can log in at noon an advantage. Such an advantage ever existing was a byproduct of the system, not its intent. They, in fact, have only a motivation to have as equitable a distribution of shots at downtown hotel rooms as possible.

In reality, no matter how you try to justify it, any advantage you're getting is shutting someone else out who wanted a room downtown. Your gain is someone else's loss. To say that out of 60,000 people the few thousand that got downtown hotel rooms didn't really, really want a downtown room is preposterous. Thinking that people were trying to get outside downtown but just ended up there despite their intentions is something that has zero basis in reality. Everyone who has a room downtown had as much right to those rooms as everyone else, and to try to box them out isn't motivated by a desire fairness but by personal greed.

I get that people don't like the idea that their misfortune is simply random chance and not someone else's malice or carelessness. But someone's cancelled vacation is another person's vacation not cancelled. Tricking people into not getting hotel rooms downtown with an extra checkbox or ambiguous login times isn't going to "solve" any problems for GenCon's end. You continue to think of ways that would make you more likely to get a hotel room, but have yet to create a reason why GenCon would ever want to do it.

GenCon wants its housing portal to be stable, equitable, and simple. Anything that makes it more unstable, more biased, or more complex is just not going to happen.

Posted by austicke

Well said, ryanjamison.

Posted by divachelle

The idea behind a "housing desired" checkbox wasn't to trick anyone. It was simply to indicate if one wanted to be included in the  housing lottery or not.
I'd think that this would cut down, even slightly, on the number of those included in the lottery who are assigned login times they're not going to use.
It seems like this would help streamline the process by eliminating those who already have a housing plan in place, either having reserved rooms out of block or those who are locals.
That's it. No trickery or hidden agendas other than *gasp* attempting to simplify things. 

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
6 7 8 10 12 13 14
6 7 8 10 12 13 14