housing WORST Ever
( Locked)
7 8 9 11 13 14 15
7 8 9 11 13 14 15
Posted by knuteski

I disagree that "the existence of people who are taking downtown hotel rooms but didn't actually want them is entirely mythical" as if so, my group is one of these mythical beasts.

My group of 6 tried to get multiple rooms downtown.  Why?  Because 6 is the max in the rooms and if one of our buddies joined in later, we wanted to make sure we had the room space available.  The more options the better.

However, the idea that rooms would be taken because of these people is 100% off base.  In my scenario, I ended up getting extra out of block rooms.  Does this mean other people couldn't get those rooms?  Most definitely.  But, this is what people are forgetting.  If someone needs 1 room and books 2 rooms.  They now have 2 options...keep the extra room and pay like $1,500 or drop it.  What happens when they drop it?  Yep.  Another gamer gets it.

So, no matter which way you slice it, the same number of gamers get the rooms.  First come, first served or lottery really only covers 90-95%, the other 5-10% is luck of the draw / based on persistence...just like buying sport/concert tickets, finding that elusive new released console, etc.  

Posted by braewe

But then you still want the room. You didn't take six rooms, four of which you didn't want. And if your seventh friend does not come you release or trade the room to someone who DOES want it.

I think everyone with multiple badges tried to get multiple rooms. If not for themselves, then for a buddy who missed out.

People who don't want rooms don't bother logging on or into it to begin with. My sister, for example, who stays, believe it or not, in a friend's office downtown. She stays with the friend at the friend's house until friday, gets the key to get into the office building, takes an inflatable mattress, and sleeps there every night. Walking distance.

I doubt the office cares, or probably even knows. She probably isn't the only one, either.

Posted by njseahawksfan ryanjamison

ryanjamison wrote:

I get that people don't like the idea that their misfortune is simply random chance and not someone else's malice or carelessness. But someone's cancelled vacation is another person's vacation not cancelled. Tricking people into not getting hotel rooms downtown with an extra checkbox or ambiguous login times isn't going to "solve" any problems for GenCon's end. You continue to think of ways that would make you more likely to get a hotel room, but have yet to create a reason why GenCon would ever want to do it.
GenCon wants its housing portal to be stable, equitable, and simple. Anything that makes it more unstable, more biased, or more complex is just not going to happen.

This is perfect summation of all of the alternative methods for both housing block and event registration that I've seen proposed so far.  

I understand it can be hard to see the forest for the trees when you're in the middle of it, but as a person who has been locked out from the housing portal because of the error a few years back, this year's was smooth sailing from a technical standpoint, so even though I didn't get the rooms I wanted, that's what happens when the event you're going to is huge.  Who knows?  I might get lucky next year.

Posted by ryanjamison divachelle

divachelle wrote:
The idea behind a "housing desired" checkbox wasn't to trick anyone. It was simply to indicate if one wanted to be included in the  housing lottery or not.
I'd think that this would cut down, even slightly, on the number of those included in the lottery who are assigned login times they're not going to use.
It seems like this would help streamline the process by eliminating those who already have a housing plan in place, either having reserved rooms out of block or those who are locals.
That's it. No trickery or hidden agendas other than *gasp* attempting to simplify things. 

You're talking about a solution in search of a problem. The people who actively don't want housing will already just not get housing. No one is required to use their housing slot. People are assigned a chance to log in and make arrangements, they aren't just assigned a downtown room without input. If they don't use their login time, it's just another room available for the next person who wants it, it's not like it disappears.

You are kidding yourself if you think that a checkbox would knock people out by achieving anything other than making the system more confusing. In no way does an extra check box "simplify" anything. It is the opposite of simplification. It's just going to result in people who didn't realize they needed to check it, or having to clarify that people need to check it to be part of the lottery.

Seriously, there is no system in place that will lower demand for downtown hotel rooms. The only solution is a greater supply of them, and that isn't up to GenCon, it's up to Indy.

Posted by quarex gharris

gharris wrote:We have tried to do this in the past. Despite smug advice to "plan ahead" the problem is Gen Con and the hotels have already planned ahead- yup, up until 2020.
Yeah, you may still get lucky and get a room that is "only" marked up "10-15%" over the already bloated prices for getting the room in block (and good for you if you can), but realistically the Gen Con housing plan for thousands of people cannot and should not consist of trying to be one of the people who slips through the cracks.
I realize this is addressing only a minor point, but I think it is still a helpful one to clarify--I am one of those people who you called "smug" as I posted year-after-year to take care of your reservations ahead of time.  Now, I also take literally no offense from that, either, and here is why--because it stopped working.  So the onus has shifted fully from "well if you really want a downtown room, make it happen" to "yeah, you are pretty much at the mercy of the room lottery."  The first year the MotoGP overlapped with Gen-Con I found the pickings suddenly much slimmer when trying to book a room 11 months in advance, and it has only gotten worse since then, with most hotels showing no rooms available already by the August before the convention, and those few that are available being $300+ a night.

(I still booked emergency downtown hotels even at $300+ a night for a few years, but so far I have not ended up needing them...and this year I could not even manage that, as the Conrad at like $500/night was the only choice I saw when booking in September)

Posted by divachelle

Ryanjamison, it seems as though you didn't read and comprehend what I wrote. 

I thought this was the place for ideas and suggestions to improve the Con. Evidently, I'm in the wrong place. My bad. 

Posted by roganca

Of all the things that make this thread the most entertaining in the forums, I think what I like best is the fact that the word "housing" is not capitalized, the word "WORST" is all-capped, and then, bizarrely, "Ever" gets that capital E.

Posted by ryanjamison divachelle

divachelle wrote:
Ryanjamison, it seems as though you didn't read and comprehend what I wrote. 
I thought this was the place for ideas and suggestions to improve the Con. Evidently, I'm in the wrong place. My bad. 

I read it, and no I'm sorry I don't comprehend how adding a checkbox is "simplifying" things. That's not simplification, it's complication. People who aren't going to use their lottery time aren't a problem for the current system. They simply don't log in, leaving whatever theoretical room they would have taken for the next person who wants to take it. In reality, you're adding something that now has to be explained to people, that they can miss doing even though they wanted a downtown hotel room, and it really only eliminates those people, who really don't deserve to be eliminated. Thus, nothing has been improved. Except your personal chances at getting a downtown hotel room, of course.

Posted by divachelle

Ryanjamison, FYI I haven't used the housing lottery in a couple of years, so your accusation that this is for my personal gain has no basis in truth. 

People who don't use their lottery time ARE a factor. EVERYONE who purchases a badge is assigned a housing login time. If some of those ppl, locals and those who already had housing handled, opted out (indicating so by use of a check box during badge purchase), fewer people would be assigned housing login times, therefore shortening and simplifying the process. 

So, if we bought our two badges, opting out of the lottery would allow someone else to move up into our time slot. 

Never did I say that the number of hotel rooms would be impacted. 

Posted by ryanjamison

The process taking too long was not the complaint. People not getting downtown rooms was. Removing people from the process doesn't affect that if they aren't even logging in.

At best, you'd be logging in at an earlier time for the exact same room availability, while running the risk of people opting out or not opting in that did not mean to. Since you get your time sent to you in the morning, nothing is shortened for anyone, just shifted earlier. This really has no objective benefit.

From GenCon's perspective, fewer people logging in at a time is a boon for server stability, ensuring uptime during everyone's slot.

It is, once again, a solution in search of a problem.

Posted by njseahawksfan divachelle

divachelle wrote:

People who don't use their lottery time ARE a factor. EVERYONE who purchases a badge is assigned a housing login time. If some of those ppl, locals and those who already had housing handled, opted out (indicating so by use of a check box during badge purchase), fewer people would be assigned housing login times, therefore shortening and simplifying the process. 
So, if we bought our two badges, opting out of the lottery would allow someone else to move up into our time slot. 
Never did I say that the number of hotel rooms would be impacted. 

Opting out does absolutely nothing in your proposal.  The current system only assigns everyone a time to login *not* an actual designated spot in line, or a room.  Your proposal does exactly the same thing as the current system, with the added complication of adding another to step to the process.  Why do in 3 steps what you can do in 1?

Posted by divachelle

Thanks for the lively conversation. Have a great con, y'all.

Posted by jobeth66

I always love this conversation.  I'm one of those who books early and out of block.  I actually (horrors!) booked THREE hotel rooms this year.  I booked the Hampton Inn downtown, for $2366 for 7 nights on 9/23.  I actually just released that reservation recently.  I then booked the Homewood Suites (which DOES NOT participate in the housing block) for $1,417 for 5 nights on 10/21/16.  I also posted in the forum that the rooms were available when I saw them come online.  The Homewood is just a little over block rate - and that's for a 2-room suite with wifi & breakfast included, 2 blocks from the ICC.

I also booked the Hampton Inn South on 8/23/16 for $756 for 5 nights.  Yes, it's 10 minutes away.  But if we decided we wanted to save money  and drive in, we could.  I still have that reservation, but we'll probably release it.  We've pretty much decided we want to be downtown for the 50th.

In years past, I've gotten the Embassy Suites for less than block rate.  That got farked this year when Hilton messed up their reservation system and then canceled all the reservations.  Poor customer service on their part, and I'm not happy with it at all.  However, that may be fixed next year, so we'll see if they redeem themselves.  (Note, those that got through on Hotels.com apparently did NOT lose their reservations, only those who actually booked directly through Hilton.)

There are options.  Yes, you may pay more for them.  And yes, if my lottery time had been earlier than 8:30 or whatever it was, I may have logged in and gotten an in-block room (I also may not have, Homewood Suites isn't that much more than a block rate, and I'm liking the idea of the convenience and the perks). 

But that doesn't mean I'd have been "taking a room away from someone else".  My purchase of a badge entitles me to the same access to in-block rooms as everyone else who purchases a badge.  If GenCon chooses a lottery and I get "lucky" enough to get an early time, that isn't stealing something from someone else.  If I choose not to book a room, that room remains open for the next person to log in. 

Posted by divachelle

We're in on that Homewood Suites deal, too, thanks to you! I think ours was $1550ish for 6 nights, including taxes. I'll give it a try. 
Anything is better than arrival and departure from the downtown Embassy Suites. Such a mess!

Posted by fethbone

Neither me nor the other members of my 4-person group have ever gotten near downtown using the lottery the last two years we have tried. The first year the best choice the lottery gave us was the Airport Candlewood Suites (6.7 mi away), and this year I just reserved at that same Candlewood outside of the lottery last November so I could use my points and not worry about it. We did try the lottery again this year for downtown rooms with no luck.

IHG (they own Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Candlewood, among others) does let you reserve 12 months in advance, and I did see rooms at the Crowne Plaza available during Gencon for general reservation starting at $450/night. If I remember correctly, I think the Residence Inn downtown also had non-Gencon rooms starting at $500/night. Personally, staying downtown is not worth $450-500+/day to me, but may be to others.

PS- For anyone else who belongs to the IHG points club, I tried using my "guaranteed availability" perk at the Holiday Inn Express downtown and they turned me down. There is fine print that says it is up to the hotel's discretion to deny this perk, but possibly if you were willing to make a scene about it (I wasn't), especially if you are Spire tier, you might be able to get them to give in.

Posted by adcjones squirecam

squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:
Outside the block? There's NO downtown rooms outside the block.

There are a few rooms outside the block.  Those are typically the more costly suites.I will say this in GenCon's defense, they are trying to work with what they have.  Every major city has this problem of limited hotel rooms in walking distance.  They were hoping that improved transit services will help solve the issue, but it is not helping anything.  I agree with the 3-day minimum requirement for downtown rooms, but I do believe people are finding ways to bypass the enforcement somehow.  I have a series of suggestions to give these guys, which I think deserve its own thread.  Every year keeps looking to be worse than the year before.  I feel they missed an obvious opportunity here to relieve some of the tension.
Overall, it is always this bad, and it will always be this bad.
what transit services?there is no con shuttle. They left everyone at the rng mercy of the hotel timer.
maybe now people will understand why folks said gencon must consider moving. Indy does not have sufficient hotel space. Without a reliable shuttle it's only getting worse.
Uh, squire, there is literally NO other city which has the hotel space in one area as Indy does that is also accessible by the entire country by being in the middle.

squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
squirecam wrote:
lbxzero wrote:
qstor wrote:
Outside the block? There's NO downtown rooms outside the block.

There are a few rooms outside the block.  Those are typically the more costly suites.I will say this in GenCon's defense, they are trying to work with what they have.  Every major city has this problem of limited hotel rooms in walking distance.  They were hoping that improved transit services will help solve the issue, but it is not helping anything.  I agree with the 3-day minimum requirement for downtown rooms, but I do believe people are finding ways to bypass the enforcement somehow.  I have a series of suggestions to give these guys, which I think deserve its own thread.  Every year keeps looking to be worse than the year before.  I feel they missed an obvious opportunity here to relieve some of the tension.
Overall, it is always this bad, and it will always be this bad.
what transit services?there is no con shuttle. They left everyone at the rng mercy of the hotel timer.
maybe now people will understand why folks said gencon must consider moving. Indy does not have sufficient hotel space. Without a reliable shuttle it's only getting worse.

There are shuttle services from certain hotel areas, but everything transit related involves the roads.  I wonder if Indy is big enough to make a rail system effective.  I would not mind using a rail system to connect from other hotel areas to the convention center as its schedule will operate outside of vehicle traffic. 
there was talk of a redline express bus at one point but it was not close to any hotel corridor iirc.
Indy is in the planning phase of a "red line" bus system; funding has been appropriated, but it- indeed- will not go to outlying hotels.

Also, "GenCon 2" is a ridiculous idea and didn't work in the past; will not work in the future.

Indy does have its issues, but the demand is so high there is literally nothing that can be done about it until Indy expands its hotel availability.

squirecam wrote:
twosheds wrote:
garhkal wrote:
That's something i don't understand though.  IF other cities HAVE the capacity to host us hotel wise, AND has good infrastructure (busses or trams etc) to get people to and FROM the con, why should "walkability" matter? 

Just off the top of my head:

• Personal needs.  People with disabilities or other medical issues who may have difficulties when staying remotely because it is difficult for long trips and/or they may have medication that needs to be kept in a refrigerator.
  • Convenience.  Staying offsite and having to rely on taxis or public transportation means I need to pad out my plans with extra time for the to/from commute.
  • Safety.  A lot of attendees like to partake at the nearby watering holes for a drink (or more) during the con.  Obviously being able to walk (stumble) back to your hotel room is a lot easier than getting a taxi or driving back to your hotel under the influence (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS).
  • Being near the action.  Unlike a lot of conventions where things happen 9-5 and then everyone scatters for the night, Gen Con is non-stop from Thursday morning until Sunday afternoon.  There have been multiple times that I've thought "hey, it's 2AM, I want to do a Magic draft".  Being able to simply walk over to the ICC makes that much easier.
  • Easier Coordination.  If I'm sharing a room with 3 other people, it is a lot easier to come and go as I please if I can walk to the hotel instead of trying to coordinate car rides with people.

Yes, there are places like Chicago and Vegas that can physically handle more people, but the "walkability" factor would be destroyed in places like that and would ruin the con for a great many people.Edit: Spelling
This is just not true.Trip advisor shows 31 hotels within a mile of the LVCC. Not to mention many of them are larger hotels with thousands of rooms.
Many more are within 1.5 miles and many have monorail service door to door with the LVCC.
A con in Las Vegas would simply not be as attended as much as the Indy one. Look at past results.  Most of those who drive to Indy from surrounding midwest states would not make that same drive to Vegas, nor would we pay to fly.  Not to mention the eastern state attendance would go down on account of the distance.

Posted by adcjones anthrorob

anthrorob wrote:
Now the housing bureau says "NO ROOMS available" at all. So, at least you got something. Housing has been a major issue for GenCon for a number of years now and this year was bound to be worse. 
My advice: keep looking.
GenCon is a victim of its own success and should have moved to a larger city by now.  I would suggest something like Chicago (I do not live there) or some other hub with a ton of hotel rooms.  Don't get me wrong, I love Indy...but the prices are beyond obscene these days.  Everyone thinks WOTC is nuts for ditching GenCon the last few years (and I was thinking the same thing) but maybe they were seeing the writing on the wall.
I have been a loyal attendee since 2005 (I know there are folks that have been attending for like 50 years) and have stuck with it, even through the nightmare lines of 2006 and 2007, but this has me seriously questioning attending the con after this year.

This is false, Indy has more downtown hotels connected to convention center space than Chicago.  Sure, Chicago has a lot of downtown hotels, but they are spread out farther from eachother, are much farther away from convention center space, and is much more expensive.

squirecam wrote:
twosheds wrote:
squirecam wrote:
twosheds wrote:
garhkal wrote:
That's something i don't understand though.  IF other cities HAVE the capacity to host us hotel wise, AND has good infrastructure (busses or trams etc) to get people to and FROM the con, why should "walkability" matter? 

Just off the top of my head:

• Personal needs.  People with disabilities or other medical issues who may have difficulties when staying remotely because it is difficult for long trips and/or they may have medication that needs to be kept in a refrigerator.
  • Convenience.  Staying offsite and having to rely on taxis or public transportation means I need to pad out my plans with extra time for the to/from commute.
  • Safety.  A lot of attendees like to partake at the nearby watering holes for a drink (or more) during the con.  Obviously being able to walk (stumble) back to your hotel room is a lot easier than getting a taxi or driving back to your hotel under the influence (PLEASE DON'T DO THIS).
  • Being near the action.  Unlike a lot of conventions where things happen 9-5 and then everyone scatters for the night, Gen Con is non-stop from Thursday morning until Sunday afternoon.  There have been multiple times that I've thought "hey, it's 2AM, I want to do a Magic draft".  Being able to simply walk over to the ICC makes that much easier.
  • Easier Coordination.  If I'm sharing a room with 3 other people, it is a lot easier to come and go as I please if I can walk to the hotel instead of trying to coordinate car rides with people.

Yes, there are places like Chicago and Vegas that can physically handle more people, but the "walkability" factor would be destroyed in places like that and would ruin the con for a great many people.Edit: Spelling
This is just not true.Trip advisor shows 31 hotels within a mile of the LVCC. Not to mention many of them are larger hotels with thousands of rooms.
Many more are within 1.5 miles and many have monorail service door to door with the LVCC.

Clearly we have different definitions of "walkable".  If I have to take the monorail to get to my hotel, then it's not a walkable hotel.  Also, distances are funny in Vegas due to the large size of most of the venues.  A mile separation doesn't mean you're just walking a mile to your hotel, it's a lot more than that.I'm not going to restart the age-old "where should Gen Con move to" conversation.  I was simply answering garkhal's question about why walkability matters.  To many, it does matter, and I gave some reasons why.
There are more walkable rooms close to the LVCC than downtown Inday has in total.The monorail hotels are in addition to them.
Vegas is also 1, 831 EXTRA miles from Indy, so those living east of Indy itself will have to add that extra cost for plane tickets or the huge extra time for driving.  If Vegas amenities were in the midwest, there would be no problem.

Try being me- I live a solid hour from Indianapolis, far passed even the outer ring hotels.  Getting a hotel for my group is not cost-effective at all, yet we have to spend 2 hours + driving in and out everyday, which cancels any event for us earlier than 900a due to needing to sleep.  On top of that, imagine being an hour away but then getting a hotel downtown...we would be using a room which someone from out of state could be using.  

People have to get it through their skulls that yes, this problems sucks a big one, but gencon has no power over the matter.  It's a symptom of rapid expansion and popularity, supply and demand.  If you should be mad at someone or something, be mad at economics.  Which, I might add, doesn't care about your complaints.  I would love to get a hotel room downtown so I didn't have to get home at 100a only to have to get up in time to leave by 800a to make the morning games.

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
7 8 9 11 13 14 15
7 8 9 11 13 14 15