Coronavirus
( Locked)
1 2 4 6 7 8
1 2 4 6 7 8
Posted by aldctjoc

https://www.wthr.com/article/first-confirmed-coronavirus-case-indiana

Posted by kellishaver

Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana all have confirmed cases now - it's definitely reached our region, it seems. The question is what will it be like by July. We'll just have to wait and see. 

Posted by adzumi

I'm wondering if I should go to the Con this year or not.  No offense but some of you people have the worst hygiene I've ever seen and it's just nasty.

Posted by cmegus adzumi

noctis1 wrote:
I'm wondering if I should go to the Con this year or not.  No offense but some of you people have the worst hygiene I've ever seen and it's just nasty.

IF (and this is a huge IF), IF this virus is still a “thing” 5 months or so from now, then we will all have much more to worry about than going to Gen Con, I assure you or have hygiene to think about.

G

Posted by squirecam cmegus

cmegus wrote:
noctis1 wrote:
IF (and this is a huge IF), IF this virus is still a “thing” 5 months or so from now, then we will all have much more to worry about than going to Gen Con, I assure you or have hygiene to think about.
G

Actually, from what I saw, it is supposed to get better during the summer, and come back with a vengeance this fall. 

Posted by burrfoot72

I'm not going to get overly concerned until I start seeing influenza type numbers.  Yes its good to be aware and do the simple things but I'm not changing my life yet.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-07/theres-a-virus-spreading-in-us-thats-killed-10-000-the-flu

Posted by brotherbock burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote:
I'm not going to get overly concerned until I start seeing influenza type numbers.  Yes its good to be aware and do the simple things but I'm not changing my life yet.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-02-07/theres-a-virus-spreading-in-us-thats-killed-10-000-the-flu

The problem in regards to Gencon and other conferences is that it's not about us, attendees, and what we're going to do or not do. It's about what organizers are doing, and whether they are reacting, overreacting, or being patient.

Posted by urielblue

I'm the Bar Manager at a large nightclub here in San Francisco. Firstly. GDC just cancelled, which is crushing for us (The computer games community loves our club, as it is owned by an old-school hacker/developer). A bunch of events were going to happen at our place. My Gm just told me to expect 30% of our dates in the next month to go dark... Now I'm trying to balance shifts amongst my staff, so that everyone can (Hopefully)make their rent.  SXSW just cancelled. Sure, both say 'Delayed unto later this year', but yeah... There's talk of the Olympics getting cancelled... Two friends are in prominent metal bans, and their tours are already dropping dates, and one of their sound techs was about to head put with Soul Asylum, but their entire tour is cancelled now. I really want to go to Gencon, as it's my 1 vacation/year. C'Mon Gencon, make that Saving throw!

Posted by burrfoot72 urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:
I'm the Bar Manager at a large nightclub here in San Francisco. Firstly. GDC just cancelled, which is crushing for us (The computer games community loves our club, as it is owned by an old-school hacker/developer). A bunch of events were going to happen at our place. My Gm just told me to expect 30% of our dates in the next month to go dark... Now I'm trying to balance shifts amongst my staff, so that everyone can (Hopefully)make their rent) SXSW just cancelled. Sure, both say 'Delayed unto later this year', but yeah... Two friends are in prominent metal bans, and their tours are already dropping dates, and one of their sound techs was about to head put with Soul Asylum, but their entire tour is cancelled now. I really want to go to Gencon, as it's my 1 vacation/year. C'Mon Gencon, make that Saving throw!

Where did you see that Soul Asylum cancelled their tour?  The link to buy tickets to their show at Slim's tomorrow night is still live.

Posted by grognard262 brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:

The problem in regards to Gencon and other conferences is that it's not about us, attendees, and what we're going to do or not do. It's about what organizers are doing, and whether they are reacting, overreacting, or being patient.

And politicians.  Don't forget the politicians.  In an election year, no less.

Posted by matthias9 brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:

I agree with both of these points.

You mentioned above that the Louvre is closed.  It's true.  But, it is worth noting that this closure is because of demands by the Louvre staff.  At this point, it is not because it is the recommendation of the scientific and medical community.

Fear is our enemy here.  I live in a state that has had zero confirmed cases, but hand sanitizer is sold out everywhere. 

The public and the media have short attention spans.  They may be on to other things by then.  (But, even if they are -- Wash your hands.  Do it for 20+ seconds.  Avoid touching your face unless you have just washed your hands.  Get a flu shot.)

Posted by urielblue burrfoot72

burrfoot72 wrote: 
uriel-393 wrote:
I'm the Bar Manager at a large nightclub here in San Francisco. Firstly. GDC just cancelled, which is crushing for us (The computer games community loves our club, as it is owned by an old-school hacker/developer). A bunch of events were going to happen at our place. My Gm just told me to expect 30% of our dates in the next month to go dark... Now I'm trying to balance shifts amongst my staff, so that everyone can (Hopefully)make their rent) SXSW just cancelled. Sure, both say 'Delayed unto later this year', but yeah... Two friends are in prominent metal bans, and their tours are already dropping dates, and one of their sound techs was about to head put with Soul Asylum, but their entire tour is cancelled now. I really want to go to Gencon, as it's my 1 vacation/year. C'Mon Gencon, make that Saving throw!
Where did you see that Soul Asylum cancelled their tour?  The link to buy tickets to their show at Slim's tomorrow night is still live.

Posted by urielblue

Argh, why'd it eat my reply... First off, howdy, other local gamer! Your show is probably fine. They haven't announced it; Info from the sound guy who was told that they were not going to be needed, as too many gigs were cancelling. 

Posted by urielblue urielblue

uriel-393 wrote:
Argh, why'd it eat my reply... First off, howdy, other local gamer! Your show is probably fine. They haven't announced it; Info from the sound guy who was told that they were not going to be needed, as too many gigs were cancelling. 
just called the friend who passed along the cancellation news; I read his text wrong. He meant that SXSW was cancelled, not the SA tour. He also wanted me to pass along his apologies for not being more precise, as he’s also a big SA fan & that would’ve bummed him out as well.

Posted by donaldbain

Since disease spreads faster in crowed conditions, the most sensible precaution people can take is cancelling their downtown hotel rooms.

Posted by lehane donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:
Since disease spreads faster in crowed conditions, the most sensible precaution people can take is cancelling their downtown hotel rooms.

Could you image the outrage if Gencon is postponed to later in the year like Emerald City Comicon has been and then having people go through the Hotel Lottery again and not getting as lucky the second go around?

Posted by mikeboozer brotherbock

brotherbock wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:

I can assure you that the organizers are being patient. As someone has pointed out Gen Con is well over 4 months away.

Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Posted by mikeboozer donaldbain

donaldbain wrote:

Lol, good luck with that. A valiant try...

Posted by brotherbock mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
brotherbock wrote:
burrfoot72 wrote:

I can assure you that the organizers are being patient. As someone has pointed out Gen Con is well over 4 months away.Mike Boozer
Customer Service & Event Team Manager
Gen Con LLC

Glad to hear it :) And I didn't mean I was wondering about GC's decision-making, fwiw. I meant that with organizers of events at large in the world, the issue is how they are handling it. I'm happy to see GC waiting to see what happens at this point. Smart.

Posted by traveller

Both Garycon and Adepticon are going on as planned.  While not the size of gencon, they do represent the demographic.  

Everyday preventive actions from the CDC website   Highlighting is by me.

• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
  • Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a facemask.

• CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
    • Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others. The use of facemasks is also crucial for health workers and people who are taking care of someone in close settings (at home or in a health care facility).

• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

• If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.

For information about handwashing, see CDC’s Handwashing website

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
1 2 4 6 7 8