Gen Con Health and Safety policy clarifications
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
Posted by ryanmay80

Having just attended Origins with almost the same protocols, it was super smooth and easy to simply follow the rules.  Assuming the wrist bands that Gen Con will be using are similar to the ones at Origins, mine lasted all 3 days I was there without any issues (lasted through showers, etc).  The only thing I'm interested to find out is if the they will be doing vaccination checks Wednesday during badge will call, or how early they will open up vaccination checks in the mornings.  I just want to make sure I don't miss a moment of the exhibit hall being open :)

Posted by lore seeker ryanmay80

ryanmay80 wrote:
Having just attended Origins with almost the same protocols, it was super smooth and easy to simply follow the rules.  Assuming the wrist bands that Gen Con will be using are similar to the ones at Origins, mine lasted all 3 days I was there without any issues (lasted through showers, etc).  The only thing I'm interested to find out is if the they will be doing vaccination checks Wednesday during badge will call, or how early they will open up vaccination checks in the mornings.  I just want to make sure I don't miss a moment of the exhibit hall being open :)

Yeah, I was at Origins all five days and my wristband lasted through everything - showers, sweat, a massive rainstorm - although after all of that it was pretty easy to peel off after the convention ended on Sunday.

Posted by dalthius ryanmay80

ryanmay80 wrote:
I share your concern; the exhibit hall is a necessity first thing! I do believe Mike has made it clear though, you can get your vaccination "flair" on Wednesday evening. I'll be driving down there to get it from my south-side hotel that evening. I suppose at least getting my badge in the mail keeps me from having to stand in two lines. Maybe they could combine the lines? Pick up your badge at will call and when you get it, someone validates your vacc card? But then it would have been almost pointless to have your badge mailed.

If this had been decided/implemented earlier, we could have sent pictures of our vaccination card and got our wrist band in the mail with our badge. That would save an absolute ton of time and effort. 

Posted by ndgeekboy

The auction is taking things in on Wednesday afternoon. Will vax checkpoints be set up for that?

Posted by kevinrg dalthius

dalthius wrote:
=inheritIf this had been decided/implemented earlier, we could have sent pictures of our vaccination card and got our wrist band in the mail with our badge. That would save an absolute ton of time and effort. 

While they can ask about vax status, if they would collect vaccination cards they would then have to store them properly.   This is probably why they did not go this route and Mike seemed to be pretty adamant about that when asked if they would be doing this.

Posted by mikeboozer ndgeekboy

ndgeekboy wrote:
The auction is taking things in on Wednesday afternoon. Will vax checkpoints be set up for that?

Yes.

Posted by quarex

Yay!  I am already at a record number of things I am putting in the Auction this year and I have not even opened most of my boxes of stored stuff yet... gonna be hard enough to get it all hauled in Wednesday with the halls comparatively empty.

Posted by dalthius kevinrg

kevinrg wrote:
dalthius wrote:
=inheritIf this had been decided/implemented earlier, we could have sent pictures of our vaccination card and got our wrist band in the mail with our badge. That would save an absolute ton of time and effort. 

While they can ask about vax status, if they would collect vaccination cards they would then have to store them properly.   This is probably why they did not go this route and Mike seemed to be pretty adamant about that when asked if they would be doing this. 
I'm confused by your comment. Collect vax cards? No one is collecting vax cards. They are validating we have them; it would be no different electronically, or am I missing something? If they validated them electronically, they could send us our "flair" with our badge. Obviously too late for that this year, just saying it would have been a nice idea.

Posted by tdb dalthius

dalthius wrote:
kevinrg wrote:
dalthius wrote:

I'm confused by your comment. Collect vax cards? No one is collecting vax cards. They are validating we have them; it would be no different electronically, or am I missing something? If they validated them electronically, they could send us our "flair" with our badge. Obviously too late for that this year, just saying it would have been a nice idea.

Thing is, if we sent them a photo of our card, they would have a digital copy of a portion of our medical records.  Which opens up all sorts of legal and ethical ramifications.  I can totally understand why they'd want no part of that.

Posted by dalthius tdb

tdb wrote:
dalthius wrote:
kevinrg wrote:
dalthius wrote:

Thing is, if we sent them a photo of our card, they would have a digital copy of a portion of our medical records.  Which opens up all sorts of legal and ethical ramifications.  I can totally understand why they'd want no part of that. 
Perhaps your vaccination card is completely different from my own; it is just proof of that specific vaccination and nothing else. But I see your concern regarding any potential HIPAA violations. My card has nothing else on it other than the "vax", but I have mine through the military so it could be different than other folks.

Posted by cinnibar

They are doing it on-site to help ensure the wristbands go onto the wrists of the holders of the vaxx proof.  This is common wristbanding security, even the True Dungeon don't send you the wristband for your time/event even when they had paper tickets.  They would put it on themselves once they confirmed your ticket and, importantly, that you have signed their waiver.  After all, they don't want people who didn't sign wearing a wristband and creating liability in the dark rooms.

Posted by dalthius cinnibar

cinnibar wrote:
They are doing it on-site to help ensure the wristbands go onto the wrists of the holders of the vaxx proof.  This is common wristbanding security, even the True Dungeon don't send you the wristband for your time/event even when they had paper tickets.  They would put it on themselves once they confirmed your ticket and, importantly, that you have signed their waiver.  After all, they don't want people who didn't sign wearing a wristband and creating liability in the dark rooms.
There are certainly ways around that, though I concede you have a valid point. The lines will make for an initial pain (nobody likes lines, right?), but once it is done, it is done and we can all enjoy the Con. I will definitely try to get in there Wednesday night....I'm driving from north Texas, so I'll have to leave extra early!

Posted by blcahill mikeboozer

mikeboozer wrote:
Kids with parents will not need an ID to get a wrist band just a vaccination card/verification as applicable.
Mike
What about aunts and uncles bring nephews. Will the Aunt/Uncle need anything special? 

Posted by kevinrg tdb

tdb wrote:
=inheritThing is, if we sent them a photo of our card, they would have a digital copy of a portion of our medical records.  Which opens up all sorts of legal and ethical ramifications.  I can totally understand why they'd want no part of that. 

Forgot about this thread, but this.   Once you start getting electronic records of vax cards, it enters a whole different realm of what they would need to do to protect that information.  They have the right to ask, but they also have the responsibility to protect the data if receiving electronically which I'd want no part of that if I was a business.

Posted by mikeboozer blcahill

blcahill wrote:
mikeboozer wrote:
Kids with parents will not need an ID to get a wrist band just a vaccination card/verification as applicable.
Mike
What about aunts and uncles bring nephews. Will the Aunt/Uncle need anything special? 

They will not, just need to have a guardian with them for the younger kids.

Posted by adcjones

Talked to a few people who attended Origins.  They say the wristband process was very easy and short-timed, no big deal whatsoever.

Posted by papabees

Are tables for eating meals going to be set up in Hall C by the food vendor there? There is an awful shortage of table space to eat in the ICC proper. I imagine that will be exacerbated this year due to the mask policy. As I understand the policy, there should be no eating meals at gaming tables, correct?  Just trying to plan my meal schedule around my gaming schedule accordingly.

Posted by joho

I would assume eating inside the halls will be discouraged. The corridors are mask recommend so better to plan to duck out of a hall, or other Gencon controlled space, when eating. 

Posted by cinnibar papabees

papabees wrote:
Are tables for eating meals going to be set up in Hall C by the food vendor there? There is an awful shortage of table space to eat in the ICC proper. I imagine that will be exacerbated this year due to the mask policy. As I understand the policy, there should be no eating meals at gaming tables, correct?  Just trying to plan my meal schedule around my gaming schedule accordingly.
i don't believe Gen Con has input on the ICC tables at the ICC food courts other than 'present'.  Hall K was an exception last year for the health policy and that was in one of the Hall's Gen Con contracts for, not 'public space'.

Posted by hannman

My big concern is how much time will it take to get a wrist band.  Time is of the essence for my group.  This is why we all had our badges mailed to us.  We've learned the hard way that waiting in line at will call to get our badges wasn't worth the lost time.  I fear that we'll be stuck in a 2 hour line and miss our first event.  Do we have any idea?  I'm now trying to convince my group we all need to get up an hour early on Thursday because of this.  

This topic is locked. New posts cannot be added.
5 6 7 9 11 12 13
5 6 7 9 11 12 13